Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

medicine into liquid

Has anyone had this problem? Just contact CVS Pharmacy to see if they could change me medicine (high blood pressure) to liquid form, they said they couldn't.

So many people say that they can't swallow pills after surgery and they have changed to liquid.

What has everyone done?

I take a bunch of pills every day and do not have a problem with them. The rule I have heard is you can take anything that is about the size of a pencil eraser. Things like Tylenol I just break in half. I'm on an antibiotic now that is huge! I just cut it in half and it goes right down. I do take a chewable Vitamin because I tried a regular Vitamin once and OMG - won't do that again. :embarassed:

I was worried before surgery too. I even went out and bought a pill crusher - but only used it once. You do need to be more careful right after surgery though - that's why you will read so many people talk about liquid tylenol and chewable Gas Ex.

I wouldn't worry so much about it. Just ask your doctor about it and congrats on your upcoming banding!

Talk to your prescribing doctor and see if there is a liquid form of what you are taking. If there is, your doctor will have to write you a new script for it. If not, you may need to find a pharmacy that does compounding. Usually, the big ones like CVS and Walgreens do not do compounding. One of my cats was on chemotherapy drugs for over 9 years, and since giving her pills was nearly impossible, I found 2 local, family-owned pharmacies that would convert her meds into chicken flavored liquid for me. They were even able to make one into an injectable. Call around to different pharmacies and ask the pharmacist if they provide compounding services.

So far I have not have any problems with my pills, but I have not had a fill, yet. One of my larger pills can be cut up into smaller pieces, but I do have one med, which is a controlled released formula and can't be broken up. I'm worried about taking it after my first fill. I suspect I'll have to revert to the non-controlled release version and take it several times a day instead of just once.

Pugchick & Enterprise01:

Thank you for your response.

Pugchick:

Yes, I am worried prematurally. I hope I too have no problems swallowing them. I'm just getting freaked out reading alot of 'stuck in throat' stories!!! thanks for being there though.

Enterprise01

I will look into the 'mom & pop' drug stores, they really seemed like they were quite accomodating to you and your family.

One of my med's is a control release as well.

My surgery date is Feb. 5th. I'm getting really excited.

thank you.

I was told that anything smaller than an M&M would be ok. I am currently on pain meds, I ask for liquids when the doc wrote the script. The only medicine I have had a problem with was a nyquil gel cap. I took it in the middle of the night when I was soooo sick with the flu just before the holidays. I guess I didn't think about my band or the size of the gel cap when I took it. It took a really long time for it to disolve and I was miserable, and sick to boot, not a good combo. I tried hot tea thinking it would disolve faster, but that just made it swell more. I won't do that again. Regular pills go down ok as long as they are smaller than an M&M. I too break tylenol in half, same with my Vitamins. I know that most meds are avilable in liquid, just ask. ~Mandy

Also if you are going to be on liquid pain meds after surgery, you might want to call the pharmacy to make sure they have it. My local walgeens had to order mine and it took 3 days to get it. ~Mandy

Has anyone had this problem? Just contact CVS Pharmacy to see if they could change me medicine (high blood pressure) to liquid form, they said they couldn't.

So many people say that they can't swallow pills after surgery and they have changed to liquid.

What has everyone done?

I also take meds for BP and also for cholesterol. Both are fairly large. I checked with my cardiologist and was told that both meds could be crushed without any problem. I am just going to crack mine is several pieces and not worry about dissolving it or grinding it into powder. As someone else already said, if is about the size of an M&M it should go down fine.

They did tell me that the cholestrol med would taste terrible and might want to put it in some applesauce. But, I am hoping that if I just break it into 4 or 5 pieces I can just swallow it with Water.

Of course, none of this is from experience yet, I am scheduled for next wednesday.