Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Tips To Minimize Hair Loss?

Its started and I was really hoping to be one of the lucky ones....lol. But I noticed MANY strands all over my clothes, brush, drain.....I wouldn't be so concerned if my hair wasn't already thin. So after reading some blogs I ran out and bought the most promising talked about items,......Nioxin hair care, Biotin tabs (obviously my chewy bites aren't helping) and silica tabs. I also increased my protein.....side my surgeon recommended 60 and others say 80 figured it couldn't hurt. Does anyone have any other suggestions that helped them? Thanks

Daily stimulating scalp massages... and I be heard that doubling up on your Protein helps. Your Dr can do a blood test to see how much of a Protein deficiency you have so that you'll know how much you need to intake. A lot of nutritionist say that the hair loss related to this surgery is actually a protein deficiency

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using RNYTalk

That is my concern as well. My hair is very thin to begin with and my dr. & nutritionist say PROTEIN< Protein, PROTEIN.... I was told a min. of 64 grams per day. I have about 70ish grams per day. I take Biotin as well. I am 9 wks post op and have not seen and Hair loss. How many post op weeks are you?

Talk to your hairdresser he/she may recomend something. My hair is fine so she said to AVOID shampoos with Protein or additives in them, the extra weight would actually split my hair that didnt fall out! She had me change to Save Daily Clear for a few months until we saw new growth.

I started loosing hair at about 6 months and stopped at 9. I didn't take any preventive stuff, I only started pills at 6 months, wish I had know about the pills from the start.

Biotin pills helped me. I continue to take them now. My hairdressers was so happy with the results she's added them to her routine also :)

Its started and I was really hoping to be one of the lucky ones....lol. But I noticed MANY strands all over my clothes' date=' brush, drain.....I wouldn't be so concerned if my hair wasn't already thin. So after reading some blogs I ran out and bought the most promising talked about items,......Nioxin hair care, Biotin tabs (obviously my chewy bites aren't helping) and silica tabs. I also increased my Protein.....side my surgeon recommended 60 and others say 80 figured it couldn't hurt. Does anyone have any other suggestions that helped them? Thanks[/quote']

Protein more protein & a daily Biotin pill

I know this might seem stupid but it works, along with your Biotin and Protein try this, it has worked wonders for me

1 cup olive oil

1 cup almond oil

2 cup mustard oil ( stinky)

1 cup coconut oil

Mix into a big container and use twice a week before washing your hair, leave it in for a good 5 hours and see the difference, you'll have smooth soft shiny hair and visibly reduced Hair loss. ( warm it a bit before using)

If you have dandruff, melt 2 camphor pieces into the oil.

I have had major hair loss bcoz of my pregnancy, it's all grown back.. Almost :)

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

I was wondering if someone can describe what the Hair loss is like. is it an all over thinning or is it more like "male pattern baldness" that is mostly visible in the front?

And one other question, Dont you think it would be awesome if you lost all the hair on the rest of your body and not your head? LOL :)

That would be awesome Jen! Unfortunately, its on the head tho :( I took Biotin since day one and everything was fine, but at about 14 weeks post op my hair would fall out like crazy. I immediately began to intake more daily Protein, and wash my hair every other day instead of daily. I also started a supplement called silica, which I think has been what has helped. I'm soon to be 18 weeks post op and it has drastically calmed down. At the rate I was going I figured I would be bald in no time! It was sooooooo scarey! Lol but I'm ok now... Yay!

I know this might seem stupid but it works' date=' along with your Biotin and Protein try this, it has worked wonders for me

1 cup olive oil

1 cup almond oil

1 cup coconut oil

Mix into a big container and use twice a week before washing your hair, leave it in for a good 5 hours and see the difference, you'll have smooth soft shiny hair and visibly reduced Hair loss. ( warm it a bit before using)

I have had major hair loss bcoz of my pregnancy, it's all grown back.. Almost :)

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk[/quote']

Wow this sound great

I know this might seem stupid but it works' date=' along with your Biotin and Protein try this, it has worked wonders for me

1 cup olive oil

1 cup almond oil

1 cup coconut oil

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk[/quote']

Wow this sound great

Thank you all so much for all the great tips. I was so freaked out last week when literally my hair was falling out in little clumpy fingerfulls......and my shirt was covered in hair! I can't wait to have my first labs done this week to see if I am having any Protein deficiency. Meanwhile I did increase my protein, and the Nioxin seems to help a bit. The Hair loss is lessened. I also started washing my hair different .....I don't "scrub" I gently slide my hands down my head then rinse. And also no combing through while wet now I wait to pick it after its dry. I also stopped blow dryer and using the brush and flat Iron. I look homely but hopefully after this phase stops I won't have bald spots .....lol. I'm still waiting for the silica to arrive I could only find it online. So ill let you know if that helps. I'm also definitely going to try the oil treatment advise! Thanks again everyone!

I guess I should be worried but my doctor said at the 4 month mark if my Protein levels do not increase Hair loss will happen. I am already noticing dryer skin.