Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help - Long and Confusing

Hi!

I've read here for a while, but rarely post. I've been putting my head in the sand and I need :help: .

I am planning to call my doc (Ortiz) however, I'd like to get some opinions and good ways of putting together my details before I call. I'm afraid I'll call and not do a good job of describing what is happening.

I was banded 2 years ago and have only lost 35 pounds. Even with quite a few fills and unfills, I still can't really eat most of the time and I'm gaining weight.:rolleyes:

Most days of the month, I can't eat all day. I have a coffee in the morning or early afternoon. I can then drink Water. Sometimes, I can eat some Soup around 3pm. Occasionally, I can eat some of what I made my family for dinner. Other times I eat crap like ice cream. Many days, I can't even get that down. I would think I was too tight, but there are days where I am wide open. I can eat a full meal without pause.

When I started, I hardly felt any restriction after 3 fills. I lost no weight early on and gained what I lost pre-surgery. I got about 4 fills before I got a very agressive fill that had to be taken out. Some of that time I felt restriction, but it is like feast or famine. I can either eat with little problem or I can only drink (and some days getting fluids is a tough thing).

I have never experienced the feeling of being able to eat a small meal and feel full. I either eat a couple of bites, feel pain and PB. Or, I can eat a mountain.

Does this make sense? If I tell my doctor this exactly this way, will he understand? Does anyone have any advice. I am pretty desperate.

Just to give some examples, I thought I'd give some daily meal info:

Tight day (this is today minus the ice cream)

1. Venti nonfat latte ~10a-12pm

2. Try to eat Lowfat Tomato and Roasted peper puree Soup. PB after about 2 tbs. ~2-3p

3. Eat one or two goldfish crackers with son ~4-5

4. Cook dinner, eat a few bites of soup ok, try to eat a bite of dinner. PB after 2-3 bites. ~6-7

5. Decide I am hungry, eat ice cream. ~11

Loose day

1. Venti coffee ~10a-12p

2. Eat some soup, things go well, eat other stuff (unplanned because I didn't know I would be able to eat)~2-3

3. Try to eat more snacky crap ~4-5 (Sometimes I PB here and the loose day is over)

4. Eat dinner with the family.

Who is doing your follow up care?

I go see Dr. Martinez (at Ortiz's office )when I think I need a fill. I also have a local PA who will do fills and unfills. Mostly, I am on my own.

Is your surgeon involved? ?

He was involved a year ago when I had the huge overfill. I have not brought all my current problems to him. I'm planning on it as soon as I know what I want to say.

Have any imaging or other tests been run?

I've had most of my fills done under x-ray with a barium swallow with no problems seen. It's been about 11 months since my last scan. I have not had an endo.

Can you drink Water?

Sometimes. I generally back-load my Water at night. I really only get in about a quart, though.

How long has this been going on?

I've never had anything like what I've read about here. I've been way too loose and way too tight. Now I'm both at the same time. I've been in this "both" stage for about 9 months.

What is #4 dinner usually?

A Protein and a veggie. I make fajitas and eat the chicken breast and veggies with nonfat sour cream while DH and DS eat tortillas and rice. On an open day, I could eat a 3/4 cup or more with no "stop" signals. On a tight day, I take 1-2 bites and feel the need to PB.

Are you tighter in the AM and less so in PM?

Very much so. I have noticed that some nights if I am up late I am really loose around midnight. I can't eat anything in the morning.

Has a nutritionist, dietician, or GP been follow you at all?

No. <hangs head in shame>

I would definitely see the doctor. Some of your symptoms sound like a slip. What you are experiencing isn't "normal", whatever normal is these days. I would have the band checked out completely and your esphogus. Rule out those issues before going any further. Don't wait. You should be able to get solid food down most days and your Water.

Let us know how you are doing and what the doctor says.

My best suggestion is make sure you are chewing your food until it is a liquid in your mouth before you swollow it. It sounds like that maybe now and then you are getting a too big of bite and/or not chewing well enough or eating too fast on the really tight days. And maybe that is why you can eat a lot somedays. You could also be prone to swelling. If your stomach is swelling it will give you restriction suddenly. Or if you have allergies you could have some throat drainage and that could be filling your pouch (ewww I know but truth) It doesn't look like there is very much fill in your band. I am glad to know you will be talking to your Dr soon. Keep us updated.

Are you going back on to liquids following the PB? It sometimes sets up an evil cycle if as Angie pointed out, you tend to swell. I go back to liquids anytime I feel pain associated with overeating or sliming (I have only PB'd once). It allows the stomach to relax, and be normal again before being expected to digest food again.

Also when you do PB...is it your body forcing the food out, or does it hurt to a point you gag yourself or something like that?

I agree it is time to call the Dr. Get his professional opinion.

Good Luck to you!

Kat

Hey there - I had my surgery with ortiz over 1+ year ago and have also lost very little weight (about 7lbs). While I still highly recommend him as a surgeon I have been very dissapointed with aftercare and have not gotten the help I needed/need to figure out what is wrong. I too just found a local fill doc who is helping me and one thing I learned and am treating is I have first bite syndrome and was eating inconsistently based on so much pbing and starving then when I could eat would overeat and/or eat too many liquids, etc. So, now I have always a hot beverage sipped slowly and then my meal (even smaller bites then one would think necessary) until i get the first bites down. I've also had my thryroid tested, etc. Believe me I know this is absolutely so frustrating for you - Dr. Ortiz's office did call me back to discuss band removal - his nutritionists has read my food diaries (months and months) praising me but still not weight loss. I know only three other bandsters who suffer with no weight loss so we are in the minority. I wish you the best - hope your band is fine and you can figure this out - nothing worse then not being able to eat - pbing and not losing weight; Also hang in there - 35 lbs is still a terrific loss although feeling good etc. is most important. You are not alone.

Or if you have allergies you could have some throat drainage and that could be filling your pouch (ewww I know but truth) It doesn't look like there is very much fill in your band. I am glad to know you will be talking to your Dr soon. Keep us updated.

Wow. I hadn't heard that about allergies. I do constantly have post-nasal drip. I also have allergic excema and other problems related to allergies. That could be something to consider.

My fill should be about 2.5ml right now. I was as high as 3.8 when I got too much. I got unfills to 3.5 and 3 before going to 2.5.

I have first bite syndrome and was eating inconsistently based on so much pbing and starving then when I could eat would overeat and/or eat too many liquids, etc. So, now I have always a hot beverage sipped slowly and then my meal (even smaller bites then one would think necessary) until i get the first bites down.

I have considered this, but the Hot drinks aren't really working most of the time. Some days, I can't even get the drink down over the course of an hour. When I think it's ok and I move on to a sold, I PB. It's something to consider, though.

...nothing worse then not being able to eat - pbing and not losing weight; Also hang in there - 35 lbs is still a terrific loss although feeling good etc. is most important. You are not alone.

That's the problem. It's so frustrating. I console myself knowing that it isn't just a 35 pound weight loss. I have not gained anything. I would be over 400 pounds by now without the band.

Thanks!

Are you going back on to liquids following the PB? It sometimes sets up an evil cycle if as Angie pointed out, you tend to swell. I go back to liquids anytime I feel pain associated with overeating or sliming (I have only PB'd once). It allows the stomach to relax, and be normal again before being expected to digest food again.

I stop eating and then generally do liquids at the next meal. If the liquid goes down, then I will also try to eat some solids.

Also when you do PB...is it your body forcing the food out, or does it hurt to a point you gag yourself or something like that?

I agree it is time to call the Dr. Get his professional opinion.

Good Luck to you!

Kat

I don't gag myself, but it isn't uncontrollable, either. If I get pain, I will try and wait to see if it goes down by sort-up letting it come up and go back down a few times within my stomach/esophagus. If it doesn't go through, I can go and let it come up. It isn't vomiting, but I do have control.

I am going to call. Is there a Dr. Ortiz patient with a suggestion on who to call? Should I call his number (if I can find it) or just call the office and leave a message?

I would definitely see the doctor. Some of your symptoms sound like a slip. What you are experiencing isn't "normal", whatever normal is these days. I would have the band checked out completely and your esphogus. Rule out those issues before going any further. Don't wait. You should be able to get solid food down most days and your Water.

Let us know how you are doing and what the doctor says.

Thanks, I will. I would be more concerned about a slip if things had changed since I last had the barium swallow. It's just always been this way. I feel like I have never experienced what the others here have experienced.

I have experienced very similar situations. I have not lost weight in a few months and I also go through days when I can't eat. It is ususally around that time of the month. I went through the whole fill/unfill thing that I am just happy to be at a level where I can eat sometimes. On those days that I can't eat, I just wait because in a few days it will pass and I can eat again. I eat small portions and I have found one thing that helps on the days that you can't eat is to eat very slowly. You may PB a few times, but eventually you will loosen up and be able to eat something and keep it down. It may take me two hours to eat, but I am okay with that. Currently I wear a size 12. I would like to be 30 lbs lighter but I am grateful for the weight loss that I have experienced so far. I don't think you are in the minority though. My husband, best friend and myself were all banded within a month of one another and we have all had the same experience. I had an endoscopy when I was having all the trouble with fills and everything was fine. I think some people just have this reaction. I blame my lack of additional with loss on the fact that I have not been exercising. I do not overeat, sometimes I eat do not the most healthy choices, and sometimes I also eat ice cream:) Try eating at different times and if your PB's are like mine...it's more like the food just comes back up, no pain really. That's why I keep trying, because eventually I can eat a little. DO NOT try and over eat. If you can keep down a 1/2 of Soup that is good. Hope that helps. I would still speak with you doctor. I jsut wanted you to know there are lots of people that have the same problem.

If you don't have Dr. Ortiz or Dr. Martinez's cell phone numbers call Rene at the office and he will have someone call you pretty quickly. I just called two days agao and spoke to Dr. Martinez last night (they tried two times before they got me) Very repsonsive - don't email any of the docs as i've found that doesn't work at all. However, an email to Rene or a call will do the trick. I called about band removal and he talked me into coming down again for a consult. he said he would see me personally and i would see dr miranda again - sigh - i still feel like what good will it do but i will be glad for him to check me over and make sure my band is still ok. i may still get it out but we'll see.. he says it's best to keep it in unless you have to get it out and he wants me to keep trying. some days i can but some days i feel utterly hopeless. anyway please call the office - i may be going todnw feb 8-9 seeing him on the 9th - let me knnow if you might be there at that time. good luck to you. try to hang in there - i know it is hard. i hope you and your band are ok.