Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone. Well I'm on day 4 of this horrible nightmare. It was nothing like I expected and I thought I was more prepared. Day 1 great while you are on IV. First walk you realize the horrible pain. I spent 2 days in hospital and once I got home, the sad face kicked in - why did I do this? Anyone else having trouble trying to drink Protein Shakes? Or adjusting to first week?

I am 9 days out and yes having a hard time getting my Protein in. At first it was just i couldn't drink anything more than a few oz a hr and yesterday it was so hot the shakes made me wanta throw up. Went to Walmart and bought a few Protein Shots 42 grams of protein in about 3 oz. I got one of them down plus all my Water so better than nothing.

I felt the same way ..it passed after day 5 . Hang in there .

I am also 4 days post op. Spent two nights in the hospital due to bouts of bad pain, mostly in my back. I started walking as soon as they put me in my room because it somewhat relieved the back pain. I hardly ate or drank anything in the hospital, but I brought home the Protein Drinks they gave me. They are juice vs. milk based, no sugar and not grainy. I was told not to have ANYTHING cold as this can cause pain in the stomach and chest. These drinks are easy, add Water to the top of the lable and shake. Brand is Healthwise and I did some searching, you can find them on Amazon. The MuscleMilk is hard to swallow room temp for me. I also had some instant mashed potatoes last night, about an 8th of a cup over a 20 min span. I think it helped give my stomach something to work on besides its self, I noticed the discomfort easing up a little after that. Taking a shower and walking outside for a couple min was nice,I get cabin fever very quickly. I hope you start feeling better soon!

Wow you can have mashed potatoes at 4 days post op? I am on Clear liquids for a week then a week of full liquids before i can get puréed foods.

I was on Clear Liquids (stage one) while in the hospital. When my doctor came in to check on me and discuss discharge From the hospital he said I could start stage two the next day. Nothing I have to chew, nothing colder than room temp (no popsicles, ice or straws at all). Apple sauce, broths, creamed or purred Soups, pureed fruits and veggies, cream of wheat or rice Cereal, sugar free pudding and Jello. I can have a tiny bit of sally and mild seasoning according to tolerance. Appears there is no standard protocol for what you can have, it depends on the surgeon, which doesn't help us much when we talk together. I didn't have to be on liquids for Weeks before my surgery either, only the day before.

Salt, not sally. Silly auto correct.

Yes isn't it amazing how the doctors are not on the same page?

Every hospital and dr have different ideas on what and when we can eat. You would think a little different from one area to another but not this different.

That is funny how all of the doctors are different. By week four I was on a full diet with no restrictions. I also think it depends on how well your doing too. I didn't have any trouble getting anything down.

You might want to try gripe Water for stomach pain. I am just 3 weeks out but it saved me. Back pain seems to be common with all of us.

I am post op day 5. I have just now lost the weight i gained in the hosp due to fluids. I was only in overnight. Once I got home , the pain kicked in because of the med change from morphine to Percocet. I have shoulder pain when I lay down. Damn Andsthesia/gas has not fully gone away. My pouch is approx .75 oz, I ate a little to much soft food yesterday (3 tsp) of yogurt. And broke out in a rash prior to that. I have actually felt hungry today. I cooked for family tonight, and watched my brother inhale about 2000 calories in under an hour. I have even thought about cheating. But ya know what, my minor bad day yesterday turned around to a good day today, and it taught me that the dr did his part and now it's up to me to follow the rules or pay for it. I am choosing to follow the rules. This works if you get your head straight. I will have too work through some things and every day won't be roses, but ya know what, being 260 lbs was worse. I finally fell to the losers bench today and I am on my way, I did this for all the right reason. Let your belief in yourself carry you through the rough days !!!!!