Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Gastric Bypass Surgery

Hello everyone! My names Nichole, I'm 26 amd I have a 6 year old son. I have put much thought and lots of research about the gastric bypass surgery.

I am 283lbs right now and my goal weight is 150lbs. I spoke with the pcp and he agrees that im a good candidate for the surgery. So heres my question what do I do to get things started. I know I need to call to make an appt but I was told I need to call my insurance company first?

Is the surgery worth it all? I want to better myself and get healthy for my son so I can enjoy watching him growing up. I want to be able to enjoy getting out and experiencing new things with out stares and giggles. So can someone write me and give me a little bit of detail on all of this?

Thanks,

Nichole

first u have to attend a seminar first they will get the info of ur insurance after that they will call u to sched ur test...i guess they verified the insurance already...h will go a lot of test though...blood test psychiatrist endoscopy u have to meet with ur surgeon to tell u whats best for u..sleep apnea cardiovascular test..so many more then they will.send to the ins the final.evaluation..i guess diffrent ins diffirent polivies so far me i didnt have any problem...

it is worthed i can assure u that im 10 days post op and im enjoying it..i lost 57 pounds so go for it girl..good luck!

I never had to call my insurance 1st I just called the baritic group and set up to do the seminar....they ask you all your insurance info at that time and call them to find out your requirements then at the seminar I was given a folder with my info in it. I had to do a sleep study, see a nutritionist, and have a pysch eval. I would say I'm very happy I had surgery I no longer need my GERD medicine or need to use my inhalers! I also no longer have high cholesterol! I'm 5 months out went from 250 to 168 so I've lost 79 lbs. I'm down from a 22 (tight) and now I'm in a 12! I have been able to go to the inflatables places with my kids and get on them with them something I was never able to do before! Next goal is to buy a bikini even though I said at 1st I would never buy one lol!

All our insurance requirments are different

I haven't had my surgery yet.

I first went to the seminar at one hospital they said it was "normal" for insurances to require 6 months of consecuative pcp weigh in visits with the doctor

then I called my insurance myself they said they would cover 100% with pre-authorizations after asking what the required pre-auth were they could not give me a for sure answer.?? Silly

I then went and seen my pcp and she suggested a different surgeon at a bariatric center of excellence. I was able to attend their online seminar filled out 14 pages of paper work and got a call the next day.

She said that I was required to have the 6 months of weigh-in visits, psych eval, dietician meeting.

I have been seeing my dr for the last three month already but I don't know if she is going to fill out from three months ago or start from my visit last week.

I have another visit on the 11th so I will find out more then.

My thoughts are if she goes back I could have surgery middle or end of Aug, if not then I will wait till Dec.

Good luck on your journey I'm right with ya!

Actually, what I did was contact my doctor and he worked with the insurance company. Good luck to you......

Thanks for all the info ladies its greatly appreciated! Do any of you know about muscle milk? Its that ok for a lady to drink. I bought a big can of it was gonna start it tomorrow to replace lunches as a start but a guy friend told my bff that muscle milk wasnt for woman? Is it a dieting shake? Cuz now im confused and uneasy with starting it. :(

Yes muscle milk is good for both men and women!