Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's Been The Hardest?

Hi, as some of you probably know I haven't had surgery yet. I'm not even scheduled yet.

I'm wondering what has been the hardest for you to get used to. Is it drinking slowly, not drinking while eating, not liking food you used to love? Things like that. What have you had to really adjust in your life? Other than portion size, cause that's a given :)

Hi' date=' as some of you probably know I haven't had surgery yet. I'm not even scheduled yet.

I'm wondering what has been the hardest for you to get used to. Is it drinking slowly, not drinking while eating, not liking food you used to love? Things like that. What have you had to really adjust in your life? Other than portion size, cause that's a given :)[/quote']

All of the above....but I can honestly say it does get better as you get further out from your surgery day!

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

Yes I agree to most of the above. Mine is getting used to taking all the Vitamins. I used to only take an Advil here and again, now I have all these Vitamins. This isn't a bad thing though. I'd much rather all the vitamins than insulin injections daily which a lot of diabetics have to do.

Also feeling a tad awkward with clothes at the moment. Some of my old stuff is too big but I'm not quite small enough to fit into some other stuff I have.

Onyx :)

Thank you both. :)

Your welcome!!

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

I do have to remind myself to drink in smaller quantities. I used to gulp my beverages down, so I could get back to work. There has been a few instances when I've missed the old good food, it hasn't been a constant thing though. I thought I would miss drinking while eating, but I am always so full still, that it's not a big deal. Taking Vitamins, yes, that can be a challenge, remembering to keep on schedule, especially with the Calcium. I am barely two weeks out, so I am sure things will change with time.

Prior to my surgery I had hypertension, high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, sleep apnea and knee and back pain. After my surgery I'm off all meds for all of those things with the exception of Lipitor which is such an amazing med that many feel that practically everyone should be taking it. Blood pressure and cholesterol are spot on. Type 2 diabetes is gone. Sleep apnea, gone. Heart disease, arrested. Comparing the before and after - after has been a snap and I'd do it again, ALL of it, in a second. The hardest part - trying to stop looking at the new me in the mirror! :-)

I do have to remind myself to drink in smaller quantities. I used to gulp my beverages down' date=' so I could get back to work. There has been a few instances when I've missed the old good food, it hasn't been a constant thing though. I thought I would miss drinking while eating, but I am always so full still, that it's not a big deal. Taking Vitamins, yes, that can be a challenge, remembering to keep on schedule, especially with the Calcium. I am barely two weeks out, so I am sure things will change with time.[/quote']

I'm trying to reach myself to drink slower now. I'm also trying to eat smaller portions and slower. I've always eaten fairly slow but I know I'm going to have to slow it down even more once I have surgery. So far I've been really good at remembering to take my Vitamins. Twice daily since late march. That's progress for me. :) thanks for your response.

Prior to my surgery I had hypertension' date=' high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, sleep apnea and knee and back pain. After my surgery I'm off all meds for all of those things with the exception of Lipitor which is such an amazing med that many feel that practically everyone should be taking it. Blood pressure and cholesterol are spot on. Type 2 diabetes is gone. sleep apnea, gone. Heart disease, arrested. Comparing the before and after - after has been a snap and I'd do it again, ALL of it, in a second. The hardest part - trying to stop looking at the new me in the mirror! :-)[/quote']

Thank you DL. I'm lucky so far, I only have slightly elevated cholesterol. My blood pressure is good, sometimes a little too low. My blood sugar is good, but my dad and his dad have diabetes. Thank you for sharing your progress. It is so helpful for me to hear other people's experience so I can at least try to prepare myself.

I'm sure that you're not the only staring at the new you :)

LOL! No so sure about that blankmama but bless you for saying so!!

Im looking forward to painting my own toes. I can reach my toes for exercise but painting its a different story. Once I accomplish that I know I really lost weight.

Good for you. Sexy thing lolz.... It's a good feeling to like your body.

Prior to my surgery I had hypertension' date=' high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, sleep apnea and knee and back pain. After my surgery I'm off all meds for all of those things with the exception of Lipitor which is such an amazing med that many feel that practically everyone should be taking it. Blood pressure and cholesterol are spot on. Type 2 diabetes is gone. sleep apnea, gone. Heart disease, arrested. Comparing the before and after - after has been a snap and I'd do it again, ALL of it, in a second. The hardest part - trying to stop looking at the new me in the mirror! :-)[/quote']

DL I have high blood pressure and sleep apnea. I went to my sleep doctor on Thursday. She was so proud of me. I had lost 32 pounds and quit smoking since our last visit. I was so happy when she told me she was going to lower my pressure on my cpap. She said that's very good nd were going to get you off of this thing. How did your doctor decide to take you off of the blood pressure meds? Did you get dizzy and light headed?

Hi Bernie! I never did have any dizziness. I went to my first post-op appointment with my primary about two weeks out. My blood pressure was 85/50. The first thing he asked me was if I had any dizziness and I told him that I felt fine. He cut my blood pressure med in half and scheduled me for a follow-up in 90 days. Went back then and the bp was 100/55. He told me to stop taking the current med and gave me a Rx for a new one that he said was about half as strong. He said to take my bp every day and if it got over 130, fill the Rx and start taking it. Checked my bp daily for a good two months and it never even came close to 130. Never filled the Rx. So I've been off all bp med since about 14 weeks post-op. Technically bp is actually still a little low but I feel absolutely great. Saw my primary about two weeks ago (I'll be 31 weeks post-op on Thursday) and bp was 105/57. All he could say was "Wow, wow, wow!" :-)

Hi Bernie! I never did have any dizziness. I went to my first post-op appointment with my primary about two weeks out. My blood pressure was 85/50. The first thing he asked me was if I had any dizziness and I told him that I felt fine. He cut my blood pressure med in half and scheduled me for a follow-up in 90 days. Went back then and the bp was 100/55. He told me to stop taking the current med and gave me a Rx for a new one that he said was about half as strong. He said to take my bp every day and if it got over 130' date=' fill the Rx and start taking it. Checked my bp daily for a good two months and it never even came close to 130. Never filled the Rx. So I've been off all bp med since about 14 weeks post-op. Technically bp is actually still a little low but I feel absolutely great. Saw my primary about two weeks ago (I'll be 31 weeks post-op on Thursday) and bp was 105/57. All he could say was "Wow, wow, wow!" :-)[/quote']

Ok thanks. I'll keep an eye on mines. I have an appointment with my primary the end of June.