Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good LAP BAND Dr. in DALLAS TX???

Hi- I was banded about 3 1/2 years ago in Los Angeles by the Dr's at Cedars Sinai Medical Center. These guys were great!!! I have had a few little problems with my band but nothing huge. Well for the last couple years I have had bad heartburn every day, I take tagamet every day to keep it at bay and prevent my band from eroding. I do this at the recommendation of my Dr's at Cedars... but it doesn't seem right to me that the heartburn isn't going away. They checked me out under the fluoroscope and nothing was wrong as far as slippage, etc. I don't want to take Tagamet for the rest of my life and I don't want to live being afraid of coffee and chocolate. haha. I suggested to them taking the Fluid out of the band for a little while and taking something like Prilosec to HEAL the irritated areas. I would take it now, however, you can't take any other antacids with it, and I can't wait the 7 days before it starts working. Seriously, it's bad..and SUPER annoying. It bothered me that my doctors didn't want to unfill if I thought that was necessary to heal. They said that I could take Tagamet forever and it wouldn't hurt me. But now I am really starting to question that. The last thing I want is erosion and removal of the band, and I feel like that can be prevented if I can just heal the source of the heartburn. I just moved to the Dallas, TX area. DOes anyone know a good doctor at a REPUTABLE hospital who specializes in the band? If so, please PLEASE let me know. I need some help with this. Thanks!!!!

Prilosec is not an antacid. It works by inhibiting the actual production of stomach acid.

See the link in my sig for a great Dallas doc.

Are you able to eat like a normal bandster?

Heartburn could be a sign of slippage or it could be just heartburn. My doc tells me that there are small precentage of people that experience onset or worsening of heartburn with/after banding. Most folks are relieved of heartburn symptoms (me included:D ).

Good luck in your journey for an answer.

Myra

My doctor told me just yesterday that heartburn is just part of being banded...I started on Prilosec a month or so ago, cut back on coffee and my arthritis meds, and I'm doing much better (he did check for slippage, etc, however). He also said it was helpful to prevent/ease hearburn by drinking warm liquids throughout the day, esp. at night. the keep the phlegm cleared from the esophagus (not coffee, of course).

Both the doctors in my signature space are very experienced and respected.

The main thing is that you are taking responsibility for your own health and not just relying on the opinion of the doctor. I think you are correct to trust your own instinct that the answer provided so far by your doctor is not the best/final solution.

Hey guys, thanks very much for all of the help!

BTW, I do know that Prilosec is NOT an antacid, it is a proton pump inhibitor...which means that you cannot take any additional antacid products on top of it, because they interact. Which is a problem for me, because sometimes it takes days for the Prilosec to start working enough to make a difference, and I know that my heartburn would be unbearable in just a few hours. I would need Tagamet and be unable to take it.

But if I were completely unfilled and then took Prilosec to slow the production of acid, so my body could heal itself, then I believe that would fix my problem. I believe if I were completely unfilled my heartburn would not be as unbearable in just a few hours. Also, I have noticed when I am following an extremely low carb diet, I have almost no heartburn. But what fun is that? haha just kidding.

Thank you all for your advice!

Hey ElvisGirl

Dr. Fox at the Surgery Center of Richardson is great, too.

I would be concerned if I had that constant heartburn thing, too. Maybe you just need a TINY unfill?

Have you had an endoscopy? Maybe they need to get the camera in there and take a look, just to be SURE there is no erosion or anything.

Anyway, Dr. Fox is excellent - and the Surgery Center of Richardson is great, too. I can heartily recommend the Center and the Doc.

Good Luck!

Hi Marjon9,

I noticed you were banded by Dr Kirshenbaum, I am looking into surgery, could you let me know how he was as a surgeon, any other information?

Thanks

Jtag10_4 (on yahoo)

Hi everyone,

I am new to the board. I was banded in Sept. 2005 by Dr. Smith of Ft. Worth and I have had a series of problems, from moderate to severe.

It is June 2007 and now I have to have surgery again to repair slippage. Dr. Smith said that he has seen slippage in some patients about 2 years post-op. Oh, fun. I'm in alot of pain, lots of reflux and feel like crap.

I am hoping that he can fix or replace this band. i am really regretting ever doing this surgery in the first place!!

Frustrated and scared in Coppell, TX

Update on my own situation....I had an EGD at the Surgery Center o fRichardson a few days ago because the hearburn was bad again and I felt sure it was an ulcer (I've had one before, thought I knew). The dr said all he saw was some minor irritation and that he could just about guarantee that I was banded too tight and that a slight unfill would fix me. I haven't done it yet, but will try that soon.

Hope you are getting better or find a solution soon.

I don't know if you are still looking for a doctor in Dallas...but my surgeon is Dr. Haagood at Presby in Dallas. He is wonderful and all fills are at no cost for the first year--and all doctors visit for the first year are also at no additional charge.