Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Set Up For 5/21 Thinking Of Backing Out

Thanks so much everyone. I'm not gonna cancel. I'm gonna do what I have to do and leave it in gods hands!!! I'll pray for all of you. And candy good luck on the 17th

Good on you John. I didn't tell alot of people pre-op because I didnt want to hear their opinions. Usually less informed than ours as they hadn't looking into it half as much. And those that don't understand saying dumb things like,... Just cut down on what your eating!!!! Gee never thought of that one myself!

I only joined this forum yesterday, but ther seems to be fabulous people here and wonderful support. Your surgery centre would be the same. Don't listen to the negative ones. Maybe they just don't want you to change. Selfish on there part. Your health and future are alot brighter with the surgery and think of all the things that you will be able to do again with the weight off.

Stay strong and good on you.

Thank you Erin ' date=' crystal and mami . I'm actually at pre surgical testing right now at NYU in NYC . You all made me wake up!! Thanks[/quote']

Your welcome :)

John....when I saw the therapist just last week she told me they're acutally thinking of offering bypass to diabetes patients because it's been so successful in helping with the disease. So folks who don't necessarily have to lose weight may also be getting the surgery to cure their diabetes. She said it's because of the re-routing that's done' date=' it helps keep the sugar spikes and lows more even. CAn't explain it like she did. I don't have diabetes but, we talk about the surgery and she happened to mention it. I thought that tid bit was quite interesting. It also made me realize if they're going to offer the surgery to folks who don't need to lose weight then it's safer than it used to be.[/quote']

I think that's a wonderful idea. Imagine. In the future everyone will be slim & fast food will go out if business.

I got some people who were excited for me and others who told me the same thing like yourself. The way I saw it was that there are may be complications with the surgery like there may be complications with my health if I didn't get it. I was already dealing with complications with my health so what did I have to lose? I have a one year old daughter and a loving wife that of course I want to be around for. All you can do is pray and surround yourself with positive people. God knows when it's your time to go' date=' surgery or no surgery. Don't back out. So far it's the best choice I've made and I'm barely three weeks out from my RNY. Good luck man.[/quote']

Amen!

Thanks so much everyone. I'm not gonna cancel. I'm gonna do what I have to do and leave it in gods hands!!! I'll pray for all of you. And candy good luck on the 17th

Good for you stay strong!!

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

Thanks Neen , mami and Vamp. Today was my daughters communion party and I'm not gonna lie I ate a little bit of food. Not even a plate but a little. I walked 5 miles tonight to make up for it!! I'm pumped up for surgery !!!

Nothing will happen. Plenty of Water & no eating after 12am. Thats what I was told.

Hey everyone ' date=' I'm set up for gastric bypass on 5/21 but I'm having second thoughts because of all the horror stories everyone tells me. All of my doctors are on board but everytime I tell someone I'm getting bypass they always know someone who got really sick or died from it. I need reassurance !!!! Please help!!

[/quote']

John, I think people be lying, and it's mostly out of jealousy. I look at it this way, if you had to have heart surgery to save your life would people question that? This surgery is one of the safest performed today, especially now that it is done mostly laparoscopically. I am almost 2 years out and it was the best thing I ever did. I would do it all over again and would not change a thing. If you really pay attention, you will see there are a lot more success stories than there are bad. Good luck with everything, and I can't wait to see you on this side.

I hear you John, I also am post op 5 days and the pain is gone now I'm just a lill sore, alot of people told me story's as well those story's were always they now somebody that knows somebody, and yes I was scared but at the end of the day it was my decision, to either continue living my life the way I was or take a step into the future , with my health, I had high cholesterol , pre diabetic issues , high bmi, and if I continued this way i was gnna end up dead by 45 my doc said so wether i died from my health problems or from surgery it was inevidable . at least i Am know Taking the steps to a better future and life.Therefore this surgery Is a tool to help you loose weight and it will be a long journey but if your ready, go for it don let anyone tell you what you need to do, don't let their negative feedback hold you back a real friend will support your decisions.

I hear you John' date=' I also am post op 5 days and the pain is gone now I'm just a lill sore, alot of people told me story's as well those story's were always they now somebody that knows somebody, and yes I was scared but at the end of the day it was my decision, to either continue living my life the way I was or take a step into the future , with my health, I had high cholesterol , pre diabetic issues , high bmi, and if I continued this way i was gnna end up dead by 45 my doc said so wether i died from my health problems or from surgery it was inevidable . at least i Am know Taking the steps to a better future and life.Therefore this surgery Is a tool to help you loose weight and it will be a long journey but if your ready, go for it don let anyone tell you what you need to do, don't let their negative feedback hold you back a real friend will support your decisions.[/quote']

Amen well said

Hi John.

Don't back out because of what others say. That's not a good reason. I have diabetes too. My father died from diabetic complications, I had numerous uncles who had toes, and then their whole leg amputated because of diabetic compliations and it sounds as if you have had a kidney transplant you have a ccomplication too. I had my surgery on May 1. My surgery was a revision from a vertical banded gastroplasty ( stomach stapeling ) some 20 years ago. I had to be opened up and also the old work had to be removed. Come to find out those surgeries back then didn't stay successful with anyone. I had a very hard time finding someone that would even talk to me about it. Onee surgeon said it would take 14 hours to do the surgery, which by the way I had a great surgeon, it took one hour and 30 minutes and I'm doing fine. My diet has advanced and no problems. I have 5 grandchildren, and I want to see my great grandchilden, and play with my grandbabies now. It's a big change, but knowing that it was the right thing to do for me, I did it and I don't regret it for one minute. BTW..my one and only sibling kept telling me not to do it and is now perteerbed that I didn't lsten to her. Oh well, it's not her body. Sorry to be so long. I hope this helps.

I hear you John' date=' I also am post op 5 days and the pain is gone now I'm just a lill sore, alot of people told me story's as well those story's were always they now somebody that knows somebody, and yes I was scared but at the end of the day it was my decision, to either continue living my life the way I was or take a step into the future , with my health, I had high cholesterol , pre diabetic issues , high bmi, and if I continued this way i was gnna end up dead by 45 my doc said so wether i died from my health problems or from surgery it was inevidable . at least i Am know Taking the steps to a better future and life.Therefore this surgery Is a tool to help you loose weight and it will be a long journey but if your ready, go for it don let anyone tell you what you need to do, don't let their negative feedback hold you back a real friend will support your decisions.[/quote']

Thank you lots!! This helps big time !

Hi John.

Don't back out because of what others say. That's not a good reason. I have diabetes too. My father died from diabetic complications' date=' I had numerous uncles who had toes, and then their whole leg amputated because of diabetic compliations and it sounds as if you have had a kidney transplant you have a ccomplication too. I had my surgery on May 1. My surgery was a revision from a vertical banded gastroplasty ( stomach stapeling ) some 20 years ago. I had to be opened up and also the old work had to be removed. Come to find out those surgeries back then didn't stay successful with anyone. I had a very hard time finding someone that would even talk to me about it. Onee surgeon said it would take 14 hours to do the surgery, which by the way I had a great surgeon, it took one hour and 30 minutes and I'm doing fine. My diet has advanced and no problems. I have 5 grandchildren, and I want to see my great grandchilden, and play with my grandbabies now. It's a big change, but knowing that it was the right thing to do for me, I did it and I don't regret it for one minute. BTW..my one and only sibling kept telling me not to do it and is now perteerbed that I didn't lsten to her. Oh well, it's not her body. Sorry to be so long. I hope this helps.[/quote']

Thanks for sharing all this . I'm ready and psyched. My wife is very scared

Knowledge & Education is key in making such a huge life time commitment like this one! Go with your guy do the research and ask as many questions necessary until you feel comfortable!! You'll do great John :)