Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise After Surgery

I am pre-op and have a surgery date of May 21. I am having laprascopic gastric bypass. Can anyone share with me when they were able to start exercising after this type of surgery? I have joined a gym and am now wondering if it will be a long time after my surgery before I can start exercising again. Thanks!

You can go and use the treadmill almost immediately after (maybe a week or so) but you can't lift weight or anything hard core for at least 6-8 weeks following your surgery. Hope that helps! Remember you won't be eating hardly anything so you won't be taking in many calories in the beginning- so go light on the exercise in the beginning. The more food you intake the more exercise you can do!

Thanks!!! I am really concerned about excess skin and toning!! I know some of it is genetic but I want to do as much as I can to avoid it. Have you had surgery? What kind and when?

I immediately started walking joined a gym about 2 months out and started walking on the treadmill and started with weight training about 8 weeks out! I'm about 15 weeks out!

Thanks for your tips. Very much appreciated.

Atcgoddess- I had the gastric bypass on March 30th..I was walking 3-4 miles the week after surgery -however after I got done i was completely exhausted & come home and sleep for a couple of hours! it was way to much to be doing so quickly. I almost ended up in the hospital because of dehydration and just over exerting myself. The dr told me to do about 1/2 mile to start out. I was burning way more calories than what I was taking in. I have lost 30lbs since surgery. I just recently started walking about 2 miles now that my food intake has increased some and I feel great! You will have restrictions such as lifting after surgery. There is a possibility of tearing the incisions internally which is why you shouldn't be lifting anything over 15 lbs. hope this helps!

It helps alot!! Thanks so much.

Walked the treadmill for 17 minutes today....I wish exercise was more fun...haha but I will

I did the treadmill pre-op and for a short while post-op. Then changed to walking in the neighborhood for a while and then in a park near my home. Lots of squirrels, ducks, geese, dogs and other people. Much more fun than the treadmill and the park has more variety than the hood. Now I look forward to walking and so does my black lab. :rolleyes:

I'm still in pain when I walk for to long (actually, when I walk an incline my upper chest and right arm get heavy and sore) but yesterday I was cleared to start swimming and I looked up some "water work out tips" that I think I'm going to try today.... Here's a link if you'd like to check it out.

http://m.wikihow.com/Work-Out-in-the-Pool

okay so is there other things you do to work out

I've been doing Wii dance games for exercise as well. They are alot of fun!!