Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All- New To Forum

I had gastric bypass surgery on March 30, 2012. I'm now 5 weeks post op and down 23 pounds. Things have been going ok. The second week post op I was almost rehospitalized due to dehydration and low blood pressure; thankfully I was not. Since then I'm still struggling to get in all my fluids. Eating has been going ok- but like most of you when I eat, I either am eating to fast or not chewing enough and it gets stuck in my stomach and causes a great deal of discomfort/pain. I still am extremely exhausted 99.9% of the time and I'm not sure why or how to get rid of the feeling of being tried all the time. People ask me if I feel good and I truthfully don't know how to answer. Normally, prior to surgery if I lost 23 lbs of course I would feel awesome. After this surgery I feel so lethargic I don't feel good- all I want to do is sleep. Yes my clothes fit better, but in all honesty I would give anything to get my energy back! Anyone else have this same feeling?

Hello there,

Although I haven't had my RNY bypass yet, I've had Lapband and my gallbladder removed. So I understand how hard it is to adjust to eating with your new restriction. One thing I was taught was to chew eat mouthful 20times and count whilst chewing to make sure it's nice and broken down so it can be easily digested.

After my Lapband was fitted I was back to normal in about 2 weeks, however after my gallbladder come out I was lethargic and had no energy for nearly 6-8weeks. The surgeon who has done both my ops and will be dong my bypass advised me this was because the gallbladder surgery was more invasive then the Lapband. And the RNY is once again more invasive.

Also a question, have you started any supplements? I have been instructed to start taking berocca on the liquid stage until you are able to start taking normal multi Vitamins, just for that extra energy - it definitely helped me post Lapband.

Wish you all the best :) jacee

I started right from day 1 taking 2 chewable Multivitamins and 1 B12 Vitamin daily. I am starting Calcium caltrate today. That is all I was instructed to take. 6-8 weeks of this exhaustion? I'm not sure I can take any more of it! I begged my dr to let me go back to work after 4 weeks but am now regretting that decision:/. I come home from work & pass out hard for a good 2/3 hours! I just hate this feeling! I'm not one to sit around but lately I feel as though I have no choice my body just won't move! It is a hard adjustment and major life changing! I just hope and pray my energy will come back full force any day now!

Maybe you need some more time off work, because it sounds as if you're doing everything right, so you probably just need more time to heal.

And I completely completely understand your frustration due to lack of energy. In November last year I was diagnosed with Chronicn Fatigue Syndrome and had to leave my job. I feel as if it's finally getting better, and I believe my operation will only help.

I really hope you start to feel better soon :)

I started right from day 1 taking 2 chewable multivitamins and 1 B12 Vitamin daily. I am starting Calcium caltrate today. That is all I was instructed to take. 6-8 weeks of this exhaustion? I'm not sure I can take any more of it! I begged my dr to let me go back to work after 4 weeks but am now regretting that decision:/. I come home from work & pass out hard for a good 2/3 hours! I just hate this feeling! I'm not one to sit around but lately I feel as though I have no choice my body just won't move! It is a hard adjustment and major life changing! I just hope and pray my energy will come back full force any day now!

You may want to get your blood levels checked your b12 could be low or you could be anemic both of which will make you feel tired all the time!

Vamplover85 that's a good point, I never thought about that! I suffer from B12 deficiency, however I get b12 shots every 3-6months. The dr actually said if you have a deficiency it's generally caused by the body lacking the ability to absorb it, so the b12 Vitamins are useless, you need to get it in shot form!

Hope that helps!

jac88

Hey everybody! I am a new by..just turned in papers for the surgery on Friday April 27th. Have thought about this for a few years... Asked to have it when I was on Kaiser..they kept saying " if you can't stick to a diet now...you are not a good candidate. I have new insurance on Providence..they are all for it! So excited to get it going. There is a team here in Salem that is at the Salem Hospital Bariatric Surgery center...you will hv this same team for the next 5 or 6 years... Took me forever to figure out how to get to this page to " say something". I tried to get my picture on here but can't seem to figure that out ...any hints out there?

I am scared...yet excited to start this New Lifestyle. I have heard others have rude comments about people that have this surgery...like she cheated...or what a cop out for having the surgery. I am sure you all hv had that...I know I have tried every diet out there in the past 30+ years some worked for awhile..some didn't. When it worked...I didn't stay on it long. So now since 2004 I have had type 2 diabetes...high blood pressure high cholesterol ...reflux...etc...am on umpteen pills a day feel awful no energy just want to sleep gain weight lose weight. Well I am fed up with me! Time to do something NOW! I will try to figure this forum thing out and maybe get some pics on here...looking forward to be part of this group where we all have the same surgery and issues we can work on together! ( hope this isn't too long)

Hey everybody! I am a new by..just turned in papers for the surgery on Friday April 27th. Have thought about this for a few years... Asked to have it when I was on Kaiser..they kept saying " if you can't stick to a diet now...you are not a good candidate. I have new insurance on Providence..they are all for it! So excited to get it going. There is a team here in Salem that is at the Salem Hospital Bariatric Surgery center...you will hv this same team for the next 5 or 6 years... Took me forever to figure out how to get to this page to " say something". I tried to get my picture on here but can't seem to figure that out ...any hints out there?

I am scared...yet excited to start this New Lifestyle. I have heard others have rude comments about people that have this surgery...like she cheated...or what a cop out for having the surgery. I am sure you all hv had that...I know I have tried every diet out there in the past 30+ years some worked for awhile..some didn't. When it worked...I didn't stay on it long. So now since 2004 I have had type 2 diabetes...high blood pressure high cholesterol ...reflux...etc...am on umpteen pills a day feel awful no energy just want to sleep gain weight lose weight. Well I am fed up with me! Time to do something NOW! I will try to figure this forum thing out and maybe get some pics on here...looking forward to be part of this group where we all have the same surgery and issues we can work on together! ( hope this isn't too long)

I love reading keep writing Lolz... My surgery is may 30. I'm do looking forward to it. Good luck! P.s. I give a crap what others may thunk & so far a limit if ppl know so it's ok. To each it's own.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I actually just went to the dr last week and had all my blood levels checked. They all came back great! I was a little disappointed (as crazy as that seems) because this means there is no real answer to my energy issues other than just a result of the surgery. Oh well, I'll keep plugging away & hope I recover quickly!!

I haven't heard of any but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen- are you ok!

Kthoney....yes after surgery I am having abnormal ekg's

I have had extremely low blood pressure since my surgery. But they tell me this is my new normal. So issue yes, problem I guess not.

Also I had extremely low energy levels too right after surgery and it did take me till about 8 weeks to get over it. I have more energy now than when I Was in my first weeks after surgery, but not as much as I had hoped for before I went into surgery. Wishing I would get a boost too. I am about a week away from being 4 months post op. I think if I got myself to eat more regular food I would have more, but I keep reverting back to, yogurt, sf pudding, oatmeal, Soup. Had for me to commit to eating beef/chicken/seafood everyday. I do still drink 3 Protein drinks a day though. I hope u figure out your energy issues soon. Good luck!!

Thank you all for your suggestions. I actually just went to the dr last week and had all my blood levels checked. They all came back great! I was a little disappointed (as crazy as that seems) because this means there is no real answer to my energy issues other than just a result of the surgery. Oh well' date=' I'll keep plugging away & hope I recover quickly!![/quote']

You've had major surgery. Your body is still healing on the inside. I've heard people say they were exhausted as long as eight weeks. I had surgery one week before you and I'm just recently feeling less exhausted. After I work out I'm ready to fall straight to sleep. My kids say I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. Don't be afraid to take a day off and lounge around on your day off. ; )

Thanks Panda! I am just finding myself getting frustrated! But I know somewhere down the line there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm trying my best to be patient!