Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aussie Girls Story :)

Hey All...

I'm Jacee and this is my story.

I am 23, female and living in Australia. In 2008 I underwent Lapband surgery and went from (127kgs) 275lbs to (70kgs) 150lbs. I was initially very successful and I loved my band. In early 2010 I started suffering for undiagnosed gallstones, which meant that in turn my Lapband had to be loosened from unrelentless vomiting. My gallbladder was removed in December 2010 and by then I'd gained back (20kgs) 45lbs. In early 2011 I suffered from a Lapband slip and my surgeon recommended I undergo RNY Bypass. At first it was a very daunting decision that I wasn't ready to make, but within a month I changed my mind. My codependency to food had returned due to a constant feeling of hunger and an urge to eat after being so severely restricted for 3yrs.

Our health system in Australia is very different to the US. We do have public health provided by our tax dollars, but it is a VERY LONG wait for elective surgery. When I was 20 and got my Lapband I didn't have private health, so I had 2 options - wait on the public waiting list - 3-5yrs or pay for outright. So I took the second option and $12,000 later I had a Lapband. When my Lapband slipped in 2011 I didn't have private health cover available to cover the RNY bypass, and my surgeon told me without private health he could only put me on his public wait list for revised surgery. It's been 10months wait now and I go in for surgery in under 4 weeks. I currently weigh close to 140kgs which is over 300lbs. My BMI is 49, nearly 50.

The last 10months of my life have been devastating emotionally and physically. I have felt and lived success, but here I am now, bigger than I've ever been, ready to start all over. I'm literally terrified, but at the same time, I am extremely eager to get my "restriction" back. To feel healthy, happy and confident again. I'd love for my husband to know thin me, to feel beautiful for him. I also want him to know that in the next few years I'm going to be healthy enough to give him the family he so eagerly desires. I can't wait to fit into my AU size 12 - US size 8 - clothes again that are piled in boxes in my cupboard. I have so much to strive towards because I've been there, I've felt success, and now I want in more than ever.

I wish you all luck and plenty of love on your journeys, I'd love to hear other stories. My surgery is in Brisbane Australia on the 25th of May 2012.

All the best,

Jacee :)

First of all I would like to say God Bless you for determination. And second, you are in my prayers.

Take care friend.

Sent from my ANDROID using RNYTalk

Thankyou Barbie.

I refuse to let this beat me and I also refuse to hear anyone put me down.

Cheaters way out? YEAH RIGHT!

Even weight loss surgery is a massive struggle, losing weight isn't easy in any method, if it was we'd never get to be obese.

Jac88- if anyone puts you down they aren't a "true" friend and you certainly do not need them in your life! I agree when you say this surgery IS NOT A WAY OUT! It's huge and I don't think people fully understand what it takes to go through this major life style change! They are many ignorant people out there and unfortunately all they see is the weight loss not the struggles we all go through behind closed doors. Prayers are with you!! Best of luck on may 25th. Your determination is amazing and you'll be where you want to be very soon!

Thanks sunflwr76 :)

I have sadly had to learn over the past few years how many of my friends really weren't true... As soon as I got my band and lost weight and got confident, my friends didn't want me around anymore, even though I was the same person. These were generally the same people who knocked me for getting a Lapband on the first place. After all the drama last time, this time I have been straight up with my friends - I've told them if they don't like or support my decision of RNY bypass then they should bugger off now!

WLS is far from the EASY WAY OUT!!! The amount of work put in pre and post op, the supplements you take to support your diet, the emotional toll it takes on your body as well as physical, the hospital stays when things don't go right, the realization that you can't eat a lot of the things you're friends are as well as making the conciencious decision to not eat those cheater "slider" foods as my surgeon calls them (high cal drinks, chocolate, ice cream etc) is NOT EASY!

I wish that I had the physical and emotional willpower to just eat healthy and work out. But it's just not easy.

Thankyou for all your well wishes... I will keep you all posted as it gets closer... I'm literally at the stage now where I am counting down the days until my liquid diet starts (12 days). I have to do 2 weeks of all shake diet before my op, and then the usual 2 weeks of liquids either... Been there and done it all before with my band, so I know the struggles ahead.

I hope you start feeling better soon :)

Jac88- if anyone puts you down they aren't a "true" friend and you certainly do not need them in your life! I agree when you say this surgery IS NOT A WAY OUT! It's huge and I don't think people fully understand what it takes to go through this major life style change! They are many ignorant people out there and unfortunately all they see is the weight loss not the struggles we all go through behind closed doors. Prayers are with you!! Best of luck on may 25th. Your determination is amazing and you'll be where you want to be very soon!

Ppl with no issues always want to put down pol that are over weight or in need of support. It's not easy. I been threw everything.