Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Banded 1-22-07

I started out at 198LBS back in November. I have wonderful insurance at where I work. I have United Health Care POS. It's not like all other insurance's. UHC only administers our plan. My company is self funded. In order to get approval I had to have co-morbidities (sp). I had boarder-line high BP, sleep apenea, high chol., and a family history of heart problems. My older brother died in 2000 at age 50 of a heart attach. My oldest brother just had a quad bypass on his heart. So this is what got my ball rolling in my mind. I don't want to have to have these problems in another 10 years like they did. My oldest sister had the stomach bypass surger and has lost like 80-100 lbs. I have nerver asked her exactly how much she has lost. She looks so good and most importantly, healthy. I don't really know what my doctor submitted to my insurance, but I'm thinking the sleep apenea and high BP is what got me my approval. Hope this helps. Oh, also, I kinda fibbed on my height so my BMI would be higher, they never did measure me. When asked how tall I was, I just said 5'2", I think? I think the doctor's office wants the approval just as much as I did. My friend at work that just had it done in August of last year said her bills have added up to around $30,000.00 and the self payers pay only $15,000.00. So I can see the Doctor's motivation to get approval?

I'm 6 days post op and I'm feeling almost back to normal. Just a little pain in my incision when I turn wrong. I was finally able to sleep on my right side and I am looking forward to being able to sleep on my tummy, my favorite position. Oh, and eating much better. The swelling of my band is definately going down. YEA!

Dee

198/180/120

Highest/Current/Goal

Welcome and congrats on your life changing decision. The only advice I can give you is if you get really hungry eat creamy Soups. Those were a life saver for me. Good luck.

Thanks ds,

Your luck to have had such a great insurance company and doctor available. My doctore means well, but he knows nothing about treating obesity. I plan on switching HMO next Dec maybe to Kiaser Hospital. I think I could get more help there.

Congrats!, and let me know of you progess in the coming months, so I will know what to expect.

-Prebander

OMG, I just started the process toward getting the lap band. I just keep wondering if I will be able to handle knowing the band is there and not being able to eat. I am freaked out! I am mad that I can't do it on my own and have to resort to something as drastic as this. But it looks like I am going forward. Did you feel this way before you got your band?

OMG, I just started the process toward getting the lap band. I just keep wondering if I will be able to handle knowing the band is there and not being able to eat. I am freaked out! I am mad that I can't do it on my own and have to resort to something as drastic as this. But it looks like I am going forward. Did you feel this way before you got your band?

I had all kind of doubts, but I knew if I didn't do anything I would keep gaining which would mean health problems. My approval came so fast, it seems, that I didn't have time to chicken out. I just kept telling myself that I have up until the actual surgery to change my mind. I gave myself an out. The day came and I was at peace so I had the surgery. I am healing quite well, but I'm having a hard time getting in my Protein, just not interested in any food. Soups taste really good and go down good. I'm 7 days post-op and I am in the learning mode. I really am ready for some real food (head hunger) but I keep telling myself I have to wait so that my band heals fully. I don't want to do anything to screw this band up. So far from 1st Seminar date to today, I have lost a

total of 14lbs. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: It's just falling off, but I expect that to change when I get to mushies, but who know. My mind is just not interested in food much with the exception of mentally wanting some "real" food. Weird?

Thanks ds,

Your luck to have had such a great insurance company and doctor available. My doctore means well, but he knows nothing about treating obesity. I plan on switching HMO next Dec maybe to Kiaser Hospital. I think I could get more help there.

Congrats!, and let me know of you progess in the coming months, so I will know what to expect.

-Prebander

Thanks! Good luck in getting you approval. I know my quick approval may make other feel disappointed, so I hope my experience hasn't bummed you out. I know how that can feel, as I did get a denial letter just 2 weeks after seeing the surgeon for the first time. But the num-nuts sent in my request before I was even finished with my pre-op testing that showed I had high BP, sleep apenea (sp) and other aches and pains of being overweight. GRRRRR, but then they sent in the apeal with all my testing and I got my approval in two weeks. :confused:

Welcome and congrats on your life changing decision. The only advice I can give you is if you get really hungry eat creamy Soups. Those were a life saver for me. Good luck.

Thanks so much! I have already figured out the creamy Soups, hehe.:hungry: I'm really not much interested in foods physically, but mentally I WANT to be normal again. I am so tired of not eating solids. I had to do a 2 week liquid pre-op diet, then post-op - 3 weeks of liquids, then 2 weeks of mushies and finally REAL food again. I think my body will reject real food because it will have forgotten what real food is?? At this point I am living for the mushie stage. I'm on week 2 for the liquid phase. Next week I have to travel for work and I am worried about how I will get my liquids meals.

I will be traveling alone flying from Dallas to Mission, KS. Were you OK with wheeling you luggage around? I plan on packing as light as possible to keep the weight down.

What kind of stuff have you been eating?

I feel so much better today. No naps so far and my Creamy Soups are going down much better. I was able to take a full 8oz in one sitting. Gotten in 32 oz of Water so far today. I may try for one more water bottle before hitting the sack. It sure is good to hear that you are doing well. The Milk of Mag. worked, OMG, won't do that again. Crap, my intestines are rocking and rolling. Next time 1/3 the dose for sure. I know, TMI. Thanks for the post and have a good rest of you trip. Any trip suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks,

D:D

hi--i'm back.

i think you'll be fine--get someone to help you with luggage if you need to. I was fine with mine--my suitcase weighed 40lbs on the way home--and i could pick it up off the luggage thing. also, i had a LIGHT carryon. got a guy to help me put it in the overhead bin.

eating was a problem. didn't want to tell anyone about the surgery, so just picked the mushiest food possible--but still, i ate too much, and felt ill--so i was definitely not in the kind of "controlled environment" as i am here--where i can get what i need/want (soup, yogurt), when i need/want it. if you can get what you NEED to eat--then you're ahead of the game. i didn't do well eating-wise. i was VERY glad to get home.

next time, instead of milk of mag.--try the peri-colace. i found it worked very well for me. took 2 pills one night--and eventually--it worked.

also, i packed optifast--there was a refrigerator in hotel...so i could have it cold. that was good for Breakfast. i only want that for bfast now--don't feel like i can eat anything else in the morning! so take some with you! i put it in my packed luggage, in plastic.