Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I've posted a few times on here but this time I'll talk about me. I'm 30 years old, I have been married almost 11 years, we have 2 boys, ages 9 and 6. I've been overweight my whole life. I grew up with my mom telling me about my aunt who was overweight but slimmed down once she started her period. So my mon would let me eat and drink pretty much whatever I wanted. I have a friend who can recall when I'd go to her house as a 9/10 year old and I'd have a bag (big bag) of Doritos. She'd worry about my health and I'd explain that it's just baby fat, I'll lose it when I get my period. Well, I never lost the baby fat. I did weight watchers several times with my mom, I did the Atkins diet, I wanted to go on phen-phen but it was too late, I tried several other things, but nothing worked for me. I needed to change my whole lifestyle. As a teenager I was a size 14/16 and when I got my drivers license at 16 I was 205, I thought I was huge. I got married when I was 20, and I wore a size 18 and I weighed 220. My husband thought my little pudge, as he called it, was cute. When I was pregnant with our first son I gained about 55 lbs, I never lost it. I joined a gym and lost 15 lbs. But it was hard to take that time away from my baby. I quit going to the gym. I joined weight watchers again, I lost 20 lbs., but it got to be too expensive so I quit. In 2005 I got pregnant with my youngest, I weighed 285. 9 months later I weighed 274, I only craved healthy good when I was pregnant with him. But after he was born the weight came back on quickly. About 4-5 years ago I had to get my tonsils removed. When they weighed me in I was 316 lbs. I was devastated. I cried to my husband, who tried to console me by telling me that my body fat was the reason we weren't intimate anymore. I was even more devastated.(don't worry he's really not a giant jackass) That was when I decided that I had to do something and I seriously considered gastric bypass. I went to a couple of seminars and my husband went with me. We discussed it for some time and I had even gone through the psych eval, but in the end I decided that I'd try weight watchers again. I tried my hardest, I lost 27 lbs. I was doing great. I had a couple of weeks where I didn't lose and I quit. I went to curves, did good and enjoyed it. But we couldn't afford it so I quit again. I'm sick of the yo-yoing. I went to a seminar 3 hours away from my house on April 2 . I filled out the paperwork and they called within 2 days to schedule an appointment, I had my first true appointment on the 11th, then on the 13th I had my EKG, my blood test, and my chest x-ray. I went back on the 20th for a group nutrition meeting. I have appointments scheduled for my one on one nutrition meeting, my follow up with the surgeon and my last appointment before surgery (provided everything goes well) and I scheduled my psych eval for the first part of June.

My husband is supportive but nervous for my mental health afterwards. Since I'm the one who cooks and prepares the meals he worries that I'll get really depressed due to mental hunger. I understand his very valid concern. Any advise is really appreciated. Thank you all for your support and I look forward to making friends on here and helping each other through tough times. And I'm sorry I am so type/talkative

Oh yeah, since the beginning of March I've been having a Protein Shake for Breakfast and trying to limit my fat, sugar and caloric intake. I did this for me, not my surgeon. I've lost 10.5 lbs so far. One thing that I notice that is different for me now as opposed to when I was doing weight watchers is that now I don't want the junk food. Back then I did. I almost would be okay if my surgeon said I couldn't have the surgery in July or August but I had to wait until October or November. Just so I can have longer time to train myself and make sure that I can continue this dietary guide without any problems. Anyway that's a little more about me.

Hi' date=' I've posted a few times on here but this time I'll talk about me. I'm 30 years old, I have been married almost 11 years, we have 2 boys, ages 9 and 6. I've been overweight my whole life. I grew up with my mom telling me about my aunt who was overweight but slimmed down once she started her period. So my mon would let me eat and drink pretty much whatever I wanted. I have a friend who can recall when I'd go to her house as a 9/10 year old and I'd have a bag (big bag) of Doritos. She'd worry about my health and I'd explain that it's just baby fat, I'll lose it when I get my period. Well, I never lost the baby fat. I did weight watchers several times with my mom, I did the Atkins diet, I wanted to go on phen-phen but it was too late, I tried several other things, but nothing worked for me. I needed to change my whole lifestyle. As a teenager I was a size 14/16 and when I got my drivers license at 16 I was 205, I thought I was huge. I got married when I was 20, and I wore a size 18 and I weighed 220. My husband thought my little pudge, as he called it, was cute. When I was pregnant with our first son I gained about 55 lbs, I never lost it. I joined a gym and lost 15 lbs. But it was hard to take that time away from my baby. I quit going to the gym. I joined weight watchers again, I lost 20 lbs., but it got to be too expensive so I quit. In 2005 I got pregnant with my youngest, I weighed 285. 9 months later I weighed 274, I only craved healthy good when I was pregnant with him. But after he was born the weight came back on quickly. About 4-5 years ago I had to get my tonsils removed. When they weighed me in I was 316 lbs. I was devastated. I cried to my husband, who tried to console me by telling me that my body fat was the reason we weren't intimate anymore. I was even more devastated.(don't worry he's really not a giant jackass) That was when I decided that I had to do something and I seriously considered gastric bypass. I went to a couple of seminars and my husband went with me. We discussed it for some time and I had even gone through the psych eval, but in the end I decided that I'd try weight watchers again. I tried my hardest, I lost 27 lbs. I was doing great. I had a couple of weeks where I didn't lose and I quit. I went to curves, did good and enjoyed it. But we couldn't afford it so I quit again. I'm sick of the yo-yoing. I went to a seminar 3 hours away from my house on April 2 . I filled out the paperwork and they called within 2 days to schedule an appointment, I had my first true appointment on the 11th, then on the 13th I had my EKG, my blood test, and my chest x-ray. I went back on the 20th for a group nutrition meeting. I have appointments scheduled for my one on one nutrition meeting, my follow up with the surgeon and my last appointment before surgery (provided everything goes well) and I scheduled my psych eval for the first part of June.

My husband is supportive but nervous for my mental health afterwards. Since I'm the one who cooks and prepares the meals he worries that I'll get really depressed due to mental hunger. I understand his very valid concern. Any advise is really appreciated. Thank you all for your support and I look forward to making friends on here and helping each other through tough times. And I'm sorry I am so type/talkative[/quote']

I'm jealous your husband supports your decision. Mine doesn't.

Wow such a great story. Wishing you the best on your new journey.

Awesome story! It sounds just like me lol. I've done the weight watchers and gym numerous times and would go for a while then get discouraged then quit because of money problems. Its soo hard! Why does being healthy have to be so darn exspensive!? It drives me nuts. Goodluck with everything!

Sent from my Verizon DROID3 using RNYTalk

Awesome story! It sounds just like me lol. I've done the weight watchers and gym numerous times and would go for a while then get discouraged then quit because of money problems. Its soo hard! Why does being healthy have to be so darn exspensive!? It drives me nuts. Goodluck with everything!

A bag of chips it's less money then a bag of apples. I know how expensive grocery can be. If these program really wanted to help people they shouldn't make it so expensive.

A bag of chips it's less money then a bag of apples. I know how expensive grocery can be. If these program really wanted to help people they shouldn't make it so expensive.

You're both absolutely right. It's stupid that to eat healthy we have to spend more money. My husband and I have gotten to the point where we want to grow our own fruits & veggies so that we don't have to spend so much money at the store. It also tastes better when it's home grown. I want to get my family away from eating out of boxes but it is hard.

I'm jealous your husband supports your decision. Mine doesn't.

I'm sorry that your husband isn't supportive. It has taken him some time to come around. He is of the mind that it is my body and it's not his place to tell me what I can and can't do with my body. He would much rather I found something else to do instead of the surgery. He really worries about my mental health and i think I'm showing him that this surgery is what I need.

I know Jessica, it's crazy expensive. And it's difficult dealing with discouragement. That's why we now have RNY Talk and a good support group.

Mamiof3,

A good support system is imperitve when having a surgery like this. Its like changing n the road ahead post op is a difficult one. Idk what I would do if I didn't have the support of my husband. In fact he's going through the process as well. If he wants you healthy and to be around for the 3 kids, he needs to be supportive. Good luck to everyone.

Mamiof3' date='

A good support system is imperitve when having a surgery like this. Its like changing n the road ahead post op is a difficult one. Idk what I would do if I didn't have the support of my husband. In fact he's going through the process as well. If he wants you healthy and to be around for the 3 kids, he needs to be supportive. Good luck to everyone.[/quote']

I agree 100%. Good luck mamiof3 we're here when you need to talk.

Thankyou! I have you guys as my new support system. Hubby never been fat so what does he know about weight issues. He is the husband that no one wants except me.

Old fashion believes woman job is to cook & clean. Take care of the kids & have sex when a man wants it.

Well I dong complain & I lost my job a while ago so I never had a problem cooking or cleaning & i was raise this way so it wasn't new to me.

With this being said. I cook 3 full meals per day. I love eating so of course I'm going to gain weight. I started gaining weight after I had my 1st child. I always since teenager ate a lot & never gain over 135lbs. Now I find my self cooking more. Hubby love fried food so pork shoulder with totones(green plantain) at least once a month. You name it I cook it. I gain the weight & hubby stays slim. Then he says he less . How? I can't make meat in sauce he only likes fried. Imagine how will that help me.

I am quite the cook too. The only thing is my husband is obese as well. Now that I've had the surgery I try to encourage him to change his eating habits. To have one sanddwich not 2 or 2 franks not 4. He eats healthier when I'm around but when I'm not he will order a medium 2 topping pizza and 12 wings and eat it by himself. This surgery was very hard. I'm in the hospital right now due to complications from it. If I had it to do over I definitely would not do it again

Sorry to hear you are having complications. Hope you get better soon!!

Hi' date=' I've posted a few times on here but this time I'll talk about me. I'm 30 years old, I have been married almost 11 years, we have 2 boys, ages 9 and 6. I've been overweight my whole life. I grew up with my mom telling me about my aunt who was overweight but slimmed down once she started her period. So my mon would let me eat and drink pretty much whatever I wanted. I have a friend who can recall when I'd go to her house as a 9/10 year old and I'd have a bag (big bag) of Doritos. She'd worry about my health and I'd explain that it's just baby fat, I'll lose it when I get my period. Well, I never lost the baby fat. I did weight watchers several times with my mom, I did the Atkins diet, I wanted to go on phen-phen but it was too late, I tried several other things, but nothing worked for me. I needed to change my whole lifestyle. As a teenager I was a size 14/16 and when I got my drivers license at 16 I was 205, I thought I was huge. I got married when I was 20, and I wore a size 18 and I weighed 220. My husband thought my little pudge, as he called it, was cute. When I was pregnant with our first son I gained about 55 lbs, I never lost it. I joined a gym and lost 15 lbs. But it was hard to take that time away from my baby. I quit going to the gym. I joined weight watchers again, I lost 20 lbs., but it got to be too expensive so I quit. In 2005 I got pregnant with my youngest, I weighed 285. 9 months later I weighed 274, I only craved healthy good when I was pregnant with him. But after he was born the weight came back on quickly. About 4-5 years ago I had to get my tonsils removed. When they weighed me in I was 316 lbs. I was devastated. I cried to my husband, who tried to console me by telling me that my body fat was the reason we weren't intimate anymore. I was even more devastated.(don't worry he's really not a giant jackass) That was when I decided that I had to do something and I seriously considered gastric bypass. I went to a couple of seminars and my husband went with me. We discussed it for some time and I had even gone through the psych eval, but in the end I decided that I'd try weight watchers again. I tried my hardest, I lost 27 lbs. I was doing great. I had a couple of weeks where I didn't lose and I quit. I went to curves, did good and enjoyed it. But we couldn't afford it so I quit again. I'm sick of the yo-yoing. I went to a seminar 3 hours away from my house on April 2 . I filled out the paperwork and they called within 2 days to schedule an appointment, I had my first true appointment on the 11th, then on the 13th I had my EKG, my blood test, and my chest x-ray. I went back on the 20th for a group nutrition meeting. I have appointments scheduled for my one on one nutrition meeting, my follow up with the surgeon and my last appointment before surgery (provided everything goes well) and I scheduled my psych eval for the first part of June.

My husband is supportive but nervous for my mental health afterwards. Since I'm the one who cooks and prepares the meals he worries that I'll get really depressed due to mental hunger. I understand his very valid concern. Any advise is really appreciated. Thank you all for your support and I look forward to making friends on here and helping each other through tough times. And I'm sorry I am so type/talkative[/quote']

Wow!! What a journey! Mine Is similar. You have to do what is right for you & your health. Tour husband should be happy that you've chosen to be healthy!!!! My husband is completely supportive & worries when he eats things in front of me that I can't have. This was my choice to be healthy & happy. Mine. Your husband should be happy you'll be around longer & be able to be active with your kids. Do it. You can stil cook. It will change your life! Maybe your hubby is worried you'll be super hot & he'll have competition! HAHAH! ????????