Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnancy After Gastric Bypass

Miss_heather,

Have you done the five day pouch test before? I have tried to do it numerous times but was never able to get past day one or two. I did manage this summer to do two weeks of shakes only. Of course, my husband was deployed and it was just me and the kids do it was a little easier for me to avoid temptation. I managed to lose about 5 lbs in that two weeks, but half of it came back when I started eating again. Carbs and sugar are my weaknesses too. I found that if I cut carbs to one meal only that I am able to lose. It's just hard to stay focused. My will power isn't the best. I am curious how the pouch test goes for you.

I have a question for everyone...I just got started so I haven't had the surgery yet...can u not eat anything with carbs in it? Or are you guys just talking like bread and Pasta and stuff like that? Im so confused on what we need to be watching for and how much to have.

Sent from my Verizon DROID3 using RNYTalk

I believe no starches. Eventually you will be able to have the starches. I also think low carbs because the Protein Shakes have carbs. But they are very low. Like everything were going through. Every doctor s different. I guess I'm lucky my nutritionist gave me a booklet on the different stages of the diet and it has everything I can and cannot have in it.

Miss_heather' date='

Have you done the five day pouch test before? I have tried to do it numerous times but was never able to get past day one or two. I did manage this summer to do two weeks of shakes only. Of course, my husband was deployed and it was just me and the kids do it was a little easier for me to avoid temptation. I managed to lose about 5 lbs in that two weeks, but half of it came back when I started eating again. Carbs and sugar are my weaknesses too. I found that if I cut carbs to one meal only that I am able to lose. It's just hard to stay focused. My will power isn't the best. I am curious how the pouch test goes for you.[/quote']

I haven't tried the pouch test "completely" yet. I've started it 3 times but seem to find excuses & carbs in my cupboards that I hate to waste. As of Monday no excuses though. I am just doing it! I can't let food control my life again.

I have a question for everyone...I just got started so I haven't had the surgery yet...can u not eat anything with carbs in it? Or are you guys just talking like bread and Pasta and stuff like that? Im so confused on what we need to be watching for and how much to have.

Sent from my Verizon DROID3 using RNYTalk

My doctor said stay away from all carbs if I wanted to be successful (like Pasta, breads, fruit juices, etc). You can't avoid them completely but you should stay on the low end 10-20grams or less a day. Carbs turn into sugar quickly and cause your blood sugar to spike and some people to dump. His dietary rules for his patients are: Protein first (80 grams a day), take 30 minutes to eat a meal, no fluids a half hour before, during, or after eating. There are a few others but those are the big ones. Unfortunately I didn't listen and started back on carbs while I was pregnant. Now I am battling a huge carb addiction. Not to mention putting on 10 pounds.

My

name is Shannon. I am post op 11 1/2 years now. Had my surgery in October 2001! At the time I had a five year old son (had him when i was young and thin) and didn't think I'd be able to have more due to my obesity caused infertility ( i gained about 100lbs within the year after he was born) and endometriosis, fibroid tumors and ovarian cysts! I had the surgery and lost 107ish pounds. I began a totally new lifestyle of taking care of myself. In February 2006 I gave birth to my daughter. 9 lbs 2.5 oz!!!!! I worked out with a personal trainer until I was 8 months and was able to watch my weight! Only gained 20lbs! I walked out of that hospital in my strait leg, size ten Calvin Cline Jeans. As with my son I had to watch my weight more AFTER giving birth, but all in all I had a great/healthy/fit pregnancy! Good luck!!!!

What's a 5 day pouch test?

My

name is Shannon. I am post op 11 1/2 years now. Had my surgery in October 2001! At the time I had a five year old son (had him when i was young and thin) and didn't think I'd be able to have more due to my obesity caused infertility ( i gained about 100lbs within the year after he was born) and endometriosis' date=' fibroid tumors and ovarian cysts! I had the surgery and lost 107ish pounds. I began a totally new lifestyle of taking care of myself. In February 2006 I gave birth to my daughter. 9 lbs 2.5 oz!!!!! I worked out with a personal trainer until I was 8 months and was able to watch my weight! Only gained 20lbs! I walked out of that hospital in my strait leg, size ten Calvin Cline Jeans. As with my son I had to watch my weight more AFTER giving birth, but all in all I had a great/healthy/fit pregnancy! Good luck!!!![/quote']

Amazing