Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regarding Pain part deaux

Leatha!

Sending warm wishes and prayers your way! Think of your surgery as "just another step along the lapband of life!"

Please post as soon as you are able!

Thank you ladies so much for being my cheering section. What would I do without you to encourage me and send positive vibes?

I know it is considered a minor surgery these days and everything will be okay, but each time I put my system under stress like anesthesia/surgery, I not only have the everyday risks but I also have the risk of Lupus flares or issues with my blood clotting tendency, so it is a bit nerve-wracking (almost like Russian roulette. :) )

I just know I have to be very diligent about walking and moving about after surgery and the least possible stress for the lupus issue. So far, so good. It just seems a bit quick to be putting myself under that stress again.

If I can just get through this, maybe I can stay away from the docs for awhile. That's my hope, anyway and I'm sure that of my employer and insurance provider. lol

Leatha - You sure have had your plate full with problems. I am sending you some good luck vibes and it will be good from now on! lol Please don't think that for one moment gall bladder is minor surgery. When I had mine out my doctor told me it is major surgery no matter how it is done. You will be sore, I was, but if they don't have to open you up, you will heal much faster. It still is Major surgery! I was still sore for a couple of weeks afterwards, and when I said something to the nurse about still being sore she said "You have to remember you had major surgery". So, my prayers and thoughts will be with the all the time, and I will look forward to your post letting us know you are out of surgery and doing fine.

Betty

Sending prayers your way that all your "extra problems" behave themselves during and following this surgery. I know that you will feel better just getting rid of the gall bladder. I was so tired of that sick, yucky feeling and the coming-n-going pain. That will all go away. Please take time for yourself and rest as needed!:)

Hi Leatha,

I feel the same as you regarding surgery and I don't even have all those other health concerns. Surgery is scary and healing is no fun either. I sure feel for you and hope the best for you. I kind of wished they had taken my gallbladder when I had band surgery too. I don't like to have to worry about things that can go wrong. I would have rather had it all taken care of but for some reason they chose not to take it out at that time. Keep your chin up and your in all of our thoughts. Teresa

Well. I made it home by 3pm today.

My surgery lasted about 2hrs and the doc removed my gallbladder, repaired an umbilical hernia that had probably been there since birth. (My mom had to put a quarter over my 'outie' when I was born. :D) Then, he also had to clear away some adhesions from around my small intestine from a previous surgery - perhaps my hysterectomy in '96?

Although, my CT and ultrasound showed I had several large gallstones. My bloodwork showed no elevated pancreas/liver problems, so the disease was not too progressed. They said my common bile duct was very narrow and probably would create an impressive amount of pain if a stone moved through. However, I'm speculating that the pain I was having may have very well been the adhesions around the small bowel. I say that because my pain was very much lower quadrant, not upper. Either way, my body has had a major overhaul in the past 2 months. All hernias are repaired, no gallstones to worry about any more and he examined the appendix, but said it appeared healthy. (Knock on wood. ) Now, I'm probably the winner of the award for Most Laparoscopic Incisions as I now own 15. :D

Thankfully, my pain is minimal, compared to the last lapband. I was up and out of the bed on my own within an hour of returning to my room. I can get on and off my bed, no problem. I have sufficient bruising where the umbilical hernia was repaired. :)

I have been up and walking, doing small chores, visiting with my mom and daughter all day. I'm very thankful that my pain is not worse and my mobility is hardly impaired. I won't push it, but I may be able to return to work later next week. We'll see.

The best part. I had no nausea whatsoever. I headed off the issue of another morphine reaction and since I used my lapband doctor and today was my 6 weeks date, he gave me a fill of 1.3ccs. :)

I've been good. I've only had liquids today, but I was able to hear that familiar, but welcome sound of band gurgling. So I know it's there and I am wayyyyyyyyyy ready to move forward. :cool:

For those newbies, who are still questioning. I'm starting all over again, too. But, I can tell you that after one year of re-training and conditioning, I was able to maintain the loss I had acheived and lost an additional 6lbs even un-filled since June. I don't always make the perfect choice because I believe in 'living' with my band and I believe I have the rest of my life to lose ALL the weight I need to lose. To me, anything under 200lbs is a bonus and that's exactly how I feel about it. But, I am elated that I was able to maintain and to know that even with all I have gone through this thing works and even my hardhead can learn new habits - one day at a time.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and your well wishes. I cannot wait to meet everyone in Vegas and here at home, in the DFW area.

I'm the former little person, once vivacious and the life of the party, turned obese recluse with no life, shunning possible friends and social engagements and with this band and the encouragement and unconditional love I receive here I am coming to regain my life. Thank you for helping me in that journey. I love you all.

As Ever,

Leatha

PS. Now, LET THE PARTY BEGIN!!:banana :banana :banana :banana

Leatha - I am so happy to hear that you are home and doing good. I have really been thinking about you, but didn't expect to hear from you already. You have it all behind you now, your right, it's time to Celebrate.

Betty

Leatha, I am so glad to hear all went well!!!:) Isn't modern medicine wonderful? I was in the hospital for over a week when my gallbladder was removed (many years ago)!

Girl, I love your philosophy of 'living' with your band! I'm planning to follow right in your footsteps. I can't stand the thought of another diet! Health doesn't just appear overnite, we have to advance toward it slowly or it may run away!:D

Yea, Leatha:banana :banana I am so happy for you! You should immediately start feeling better, getting all of those horrible problems fixed and/or removed. Take care of yourself and don't overdo. I hope your Mom and Sis spoil you rotten!

It really pays in more ways than one to have an experienced abdominal laproscopic surgeon. When I was banded, my surgeon removed bad gallbladder (full of multiple stones), removed several abdominal adhesions (earlier open-method kidney donation and hysterectomy surgeries), found and removed a tumor off my esophagus, and banded me. Those adhesions had bothered me for years. It was almost immediate relief following this surgery. It's amazing what they can now do laproscopically!

That's one of the reasons that I've been leary to do abdominal exercises (but do I ever need them!). I'm so scared of having that hurting again.

An older friend we know had her gall bladder removed at the same time (different dr.) They didn't close off the duct completely before they removed the gall bladder. Those toxins got into her system. She just now went to a Rehab. Hospital. She was in ICU for weeks. She just now went to a Rehab. Hospital. It's uncertain when she'll be able to come home.

I know that you'll continue to improve daily. And you got a fill! :D

WAY TO GO LEATHA... I am a little jealous. I need my gallbladder out. I know that I am going to have to have another surgery down the road. I am very happy for you. I cant wait to get to meet you personally when we meet for dinner. It will probably have to be in Oct. for me. Take it easy. Hey Marie did you donate a kidney? Thats awesome. Tell me more. Good luck Leatha...Janie

Yes, Janie, my husband has inherited Polycystic Kidney Disease. His Dad died from it and his brother also rec'd a transplant. (This is the same disease that Erma Bombeck -humorist- died from.) After being on dialysis 18 months, heart attack, and open heart surgery, his health finally leveled out enough that I could donate a kidney to him (5 1/2 yrs. ago). (A non-related match is 1 in 30,000!!) He's doing fantastic now! He's my biking partner and very best friend. He was so near death for so long that we really appreciate his second chance. Now, with the band and my new improved health, we're really able to get out and enjoy life.:D

Leatha, did you get any black eyes this time? I know health care is trying to cut corners, but this is getting ridiculous.:D

Blossom, we've just been very, very blessed! I do believe in miracles! Also, I don't have to ask him to stop at rest stops any more. I guess having a woman's kidney means he has to go as often as I do now.:D