Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New To The Group/forum

Hello everyone!

First of all I want to say that I'm glad I had found a WLS support group that I can basically take w/me all the time (iPhone).

My journey started back in September 2011 when I decide to pursue LGBS. My initial weight was 280lbs and I'm 5'6", today I'm 260lbs and my tentative surgery date is 04/02/2012, I had done everything to prepare myself for such an important step that will change my life; nutritionist visits, sleep study which surprisely I was found to have sleep apnea, PFT & EKG thank God are normal, my endoscopy is this Thursday 03/08/12 overall I'm healthy as far as no other comorbidity.

All my life I had deal w/weight problems, I had lost wt an then gained back twice and I had done everything and honestly I think that GBS will be the key tool I need to change my life and to avoid having comorbidities in the future due to my unhealthy wt and strong family hx of DM/HTN/CAD/Hyperlipidemia and etc. I'm very confident and positive that I had made a great decision that will span my life :D

I'm to star my pre-op liquid diet on 03/18/2012 and I had bought GNC Total Lean shake for that, but still have few questions that I wish you all can help. The shake contains; Calories 170, Calories from Fat 50, Fiber 3g, Protein 25g, Sugars 2g & Vitamins. I wonder if after my surgery is okay to keep drinking this shake? (I will address this question to my MD on my next OV).

Thanks!

Hi Yodalania, I can't answer your question, but I am sure another will, but just wanted to wish you all the best. You sound well prepared and I am sure you will do well.

Hi Tor

Thanks for your supportive comment, and yes I hope to be prepare enough for this process but still I know there's much more to learn. Good luck to you as well ;)

Good luck to you as you continue your journey. I was told as long as the Protein had less than 2g sugar it was ok after surgery. Prior to surgery I was only given two choices. Carnation instant sugar free or Bariatric Advantage by metegenics. I did the Bariatric Advantage. Three flavors and went really well on my ten day liquid preop diet.

Hope that helps.

Hello Tseeks

You all going to laugh! So I was re-reading the pre-op liquid instructions from the book that I was provided by my surgeon and guess what! It said very BOLD & w/CAPS Bariatric Advantage it's the MANDATORY pre-op liquid diet for our pts to use.....so I guess I'm going to have a little trip to GNC tomorrow after work to return the 3.5 boxes I bought lol

I guess I'm so anxious that I totally forgot that I was told plus that I READ that part of the diet...and I was feeling so weird after I bought them and now I understand why, b/c they went the right ones lol

Thanks for the positive support, I hope all the best for all of you. I'll keep y'all update w/my progress ;)

Well, I am glad I was able to help LOL. I have to say that the advantage shakes are really good and after surgery I still use them. I just picked up on yesterday. My husband even uses them for weightloss. The chocolate is my fav. My hubby likes the van and the banana is good too.

My pre Opp classes were two at three hours each and they gave us samples to try. Ask and see if they have samples of them. I mix them with milk, some people mix them with Water. I find the shake with milk stays with me longer. :) have a great day.

That's very kind but I will find UK equivalents or already distributed ones thanks. Shipping from the States shouldn't be necessay. There are Protein Drinks here, I just need to find a good one, will ask the Dietian. Thanks though ;-)

That's very kind but I will find UK equivalents or already distributed ones thanks. Shipping from the States shouldn't be necessay. There are Protein drinks here' date=' I just need to find a good one, will ask the Dietian. Thanks though ;-)[/quote']

Hi duck did u find any Protein Drinks I am from the uk and finding it hard x

I am on Slimfast, with pre-op diet. They are convenient, drinking 4 per day. Enough variation not to get too bored. Lost 10 Ibs in 1 week, op on 10th in Taunton.

Tor that's great. I'm glad you found something you like. I start my pre op diet Monday April 9th. I bought Adkins shakes. I tried them before and they're very good. My surgery is April 23rd.

Thanks Berniec, yes its important to have something that doesn't taste too bad. Good luck on that diet, its not as bad as one expects.

Hello I'm new to the group I've only had one appointment so far, I'm not sure if my insurance will cover me but I keeping my fingers crossed. Reading all of your post is very helpful and I hope to learn and share more with you all.

I'm currently 266lbs but my BMI is 35 I have to schedule a sleep study to see it I have a sleeping disorder, this is the only way insurance will cover it. Has anyone else been on the fence like this? If so how did it turn out?