Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's 4:30 am here on the east coast.

One thing leads into the other.

To start off with, I am seeing the smoking cessation lady at the hospital to get off cigarettes. I did well on the Nicotrol Inhaler. Then when I went off of it, I started smoking again. Then I tried cold turkey. I lasted a day and a half. Now, I'm smoking again. I'm going to talk to her about going back on the Nicotrol Inhaler and weening off of it slowly.

Now, that affects my surgery date. My surgery date being pushed back doesn't really upset me any longer. I have to follow a healthy eating plan weather I get the surgery or not. I've been walking 30 min. a day. My front thigh muscles were like jelly to the point that I couldn't raise my legs to put my pants on. In the short time that I've been exercising them, I can now lift my legs to put my pants on and get in and out of a van.

I got a call from my son-in-law, who is like a son to me. I'm kind of angry about my family support system. When I wanted the surgery before, everybody was against it. No matter what I said, they thought it was a ridiculous idea. Now that my ex has gotten it done, and is doing so well, they all want me to get it. I'm feeling pressure from them to have this surgery.

My dilemma is that I don't know if I can quit smoking and stay on my plan at the same time. It's been darn hard trying to do both.

I feel pressure from them now to get this surgery. Because of their input, I can't figure out any more if I want it for me or if I am doing it to keep them happy. The decision has to be mine and mine alone.

Either way, I know that I have to keep on this road of a healthy lifestyle that I've started. It does feel good to feel my muscle tone coming back. It does feel good to be eating properly.

Now, I do want to quit smoking. Not because it's a requirement of the surgery, but because when I was on the NRTs, it felt good not to smoke. However, I don't know if I can stay quit without the Nicotrol Inhaler.

I am so mixed up right now that any input, advice, comments, anything is welcome.

Thanks for reading and your help.

It's 4:30 am here on the east coast.

One thing leads into the other.

To start off with, I am seeing the smoking cessation lady at the hospital to get off cigarettes. I did well on the Nicotrol Inhaler. Then when I went off of it, I started smoking again. Then I tried cold turkey. I lasted a day and a half. Now, I'm smoking again. I'm going to talk to her about going back on the Nicotrol Inhaler and weening off of it slowly.

Now, that affects my surgery date. My surgery date being pushed back doesn't really upset me any longer. I have to follow a healthy eating plan weather I get the surgery or not. I've been walking 30 min. a day. My front thigh muscles were like jelly to the point that I couldn't raise my legs to put my pants on. In the short time that I've been exercising them, I can now lift my legs to put my pants on and get in and out of a van.

I got a call from my son-in-law, who is like a son to me. I'm kind of angry about my family support system. When I wanted the surgery before, everybody was against it. No matter what I said, they thought it was a ridiculous idea. Now that my ex has gotten it done, and is doing so well, they all want me to get it. I'm feeling pressure from them to have this surgery.

My dilemma is that I don't know if I can quit smoking and stay on my plan at the same time. It's been darn hard trying to do both.

I feel pressure from them now to get this surgery. Because of their input, I can't figure out any more if I want it for me or if I am doing it to keep them happy. The decision has to be mine and mine alone.

Either way, I know that I have to keep on this road of a healthy lifestyle that I've started. It does feel good to feel my muscle tone coming back. It does feel good to be eating properly.

Now, I do want to quit smoking. Not because it's a requirement of the surgery, but because when I was on the NRTs, it felt good not to smoke. However, I don't know if I can stay quit without the Nicotrol Inhaler.

I am so mixed up right now that any input, advice, comments, anything is welcome.

Thanks for reading and your help.

I'm a 60 year old man who had been smoking for over 40 years. I have Kaiser for my insurance and I attended their stop smoking program, I took wellbutrin for a couple weeks in conjuction with the patch, I quit smoking in may and I haven't had one since, give the Patches a try, they worked for me

I'm a 60 year old man who had been smoking for over 40 years. I have Kaiser for my insurance and I attended their stop smoking program, I took wellbutrin for a couple weeks in conjuction with the patch, I quit smoking in may and I haven't had one since, give the Patches a try, they worked for me

Hi Martha,

I just recently quit smoking (9 days ago). I did it cold turkey, because I couldn't take anything to asist me for various reasons. I completely empathize with you as well as send my support. Quitting smoking was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. The physical withrawals were horrible.

My experience was:

day 1 was mind over matter

day 2 I slept through most of the day to try to get through the physical withdrawals which really kicked in

day 3 was a Monday and I was back at work... omg this was the worst day ever! the physical withdrawals were the worst. I spend much of the day researching withdrawals and quitting smoming online to find out when it would get better.

day 4 not pleasant but better than day 3

day 5 I finally felt like I was going to make it.

Today I finally feel strong enough to know I am really doing it this time. I know I won't go back to smoking because I never want to go through that type of total discomfort again.

I will agree that it is hard to quit smoking and focus on changing your eating habits. I think I gained about 3 or 4 pounds in a week. This weekend I am back to working on my eating again.

I am not sure if any of this helps, but I mostly just wanted to voice my support and encouragement. Quitting smoking is hard.

I read this one post from a woman asking where the balloons and confetti were. She felt like the sky should open up and balloons and confetti should fall down upon her to Celebrate her accomplishment of quitting smoking. I think she order some doves, rainbows and unicorns too.

You can do this. Just keep trying. It takes a few tries.

Sorry for all the rambling and random thoughts. lol :)

Bonnie

Hi Martha,

I just recently quit smoking (9 days ago). I did it cold turkey, because I couldn't take anything to asist me for various reasons. I completely empathize with you as well as send my support. Quitting smoking was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. The physical withrawals were horrible.

My experience was:

day 1 was mind over matter

day 2 I slept through most of the day to try to get through the physical withdrawals which really kicked in

day 3 was a Monday and I was back at work... omg this was the worst day ever! the physical withdrawals were the worst. I spend much of the day researching withdrawals and quitting smoming online to find out when it would get better.

day 4 not pleasant but better than day 3

day 5 I finally felt like I was going to make it.

Today I finally feel strong enough to know I am really doing it this time. I know I won't go back to smoking because I never want to go through that type of total discomfort again.

I will agree that it is hard to quit smoking and focus on changing your eating habits. I think I gained about 3 or 4 pounds in a week. This weekend I am back to working on my eating again.

I am not sure if any of this helps, but I mostly just wanted to voice my support and encouragement. Quitting smoking is hard.

I read this one post from a woman asking where the balloons and confetti were. She felt like the sky should open up and balloons and confetti should fall down upon her to Celebrate her accomplishment of quitting smoking. I think she order some doves, rainbows and unicorns too.

You can do this. Just keep trying. It takes a few tries.

Sorry for all the rambling and random thoughts. lol :)

Bonnie

Hello I'm Pre-Op and I quit smoking almost a year ago 11/9/12. I hadn't even given surgery a thought...I was just so damn tired of smoking. I got. Cartomizer (electric cigarette on steroids) and it helped me..I call it my pacifier..I still use it but I get liquid w/o nicotine now. You should get one..I love it, and it's cute, everywhere I go people ask me what it is and where to get one. Try www.vapingzone.com to find one, it's rechargeable and it costs about $80..the site I got mine from is going out of business you can try www.puresmoker.com maybe they are on clearance now.

Good Luck sweetheart..praying your success.

K

I am also trying to quit smoking. I have not had a "real" cigarette in over 8 days and am doing great. I got an e cigarette like pp. They nicotine levela that are available are 24mg, 18, 12, 6, and 0. I started with 12. My husband and I were both smoking approx 1 1/2 packs a day each. We both smoked our last cigarette together and have not looked back.

I am going to get ready ans drop down another nicotine level. Once I get to zero nicotine will still use for a while so that I will hopefully not gain weight and wien myself slowly.

It has been a great tool for us!!!