Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you start to work out after surgery.

Around my 5-6 week appointment. My doc was like, "ok, you can start training for the Olympics." Lol

Around my 5-6 week appointment. My doc was like' date=' "ok, you can start training for the Olympics." Lol[/quote']

Wow that's a long time. Did you do anything besides walking in those 5-6 weeks? I have alot if energy, all i do is walk.....I want to exercise, but I know that's out of the question at 10days post-op. Oh and btw I never learned to swim so that's out the question! Lol

I started running at 3 week out. Call your doctor to get his opinion.

I was told nothing but walking (and not on an incline!) for at least four weeks. she said i could go to the gym and do the eliptical and treadmill but that was it. disappointed because i'm out on disability and wanted to use the time i had for the gym. :(

If you're feeling that full of energy - that's awesome. But, be careful. I feel like that some days, go crazy on the walking front and then feel like I've done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson the next day... I realise I have to take it slowly slowly... I was also advised at 4 weeks, i can start upping the cardio - as long as my diet is good.

My surgeon let me start the cross trainer two days after surgery, but I had to "start slowly and work my way up". He let me start doing weight lifting exercise at one week after surgery but I had to start at 1/2 my previous reps and 1/2 my previous weight and gradually increase. By about 6 weeks after surgery, I was up to maximal effort, except for abs, which I am still gradually increasing.

My doc was very strict about 6 werks, and then ti go easy for a while with it

Wow that's a long time. Did you do anything besides walking in those 5-6 weeks? I have alot if energy, all i do is walk.....I want to exercise, but I know that's out of the question at 10days post-op. Oh and btw I never learned to swim so that's out the question! Lol

Walking, swimming, bike, Taebo (without the jumps) light hand weights, walking up and down stairs... Stuff like that. No running. No intense ab exercises. No jumping.

Walking, swimming, bike, Taebo (without the jumps) light hand weights, walking up and down stairs... Stuff like that. No running. No intense ab exercises. No jumping.

** I wasn't restricted to 6 weeks- that's just when my appointment was scheduled.

** I wasn't restricted to 6 weeks- that's just when my appointment was scheduled.

My surgeon said I was able to do whatever I felt I could do cardio-wise. He also said I could do light weightlifting up to 20 or 25 lbs. He said just to take it easy and go slowly. This was at my 10 day post op. Only restriction is swimming (or any activity submersed in water) for 6 weeks or until incisions healed. Can't wait to swim!!

My surgeon said I was able to do whatever I felt I could do cardio-wise. He also said I could do light weightlifting up to 20 or 25 lbs. He said just to take it easy and go slowly. This was at my 10 day post op. Only restriction is swimming (or any activity submersed in water) for 6 weeks or until incisions healed. Can't wait to swim!!