Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can i have one night of drinking?

Want to go out tonight and I was thinking of having one 8oz mixed drink. Or two shots. I have surgery on the 8th and I'm in my full liquid pre op diet (day3)

Why?
to get my mind off things and be around my friends. I was told after surgery to avoid wine or alcohol for 3-6 months. No one talked about before

You can get your mind off things without alcohol if you work at it.

Your pre-op diet exists to shrink your liver and to get you as healthy as possible pre-op. Alcohol is NOT good for your liver.

I am no prude nor am I a teetotaler. I lived in a sorority house for 4 years and I still drink my share of cocktails at the old lady age of 42. Difference now is that I just put my body through a MAJOR surgery so that I could change the food addiction I had before and make myself into a new, healthier being. Alcohol will not prepare you for that, in fact, it's detrimental to your health.

You will be able to drink again, it may just be at New Year's instead of tonight. :)

I assume you are an adult, but if you had to ask, you probably know, deep down in there, the answer is that it is not a good idea.

:D

I second Lipstick. Go with your friends but stick to sparkling Water with lime or a diet coke (which you will be giving up for a long time). I love to drink :wacko: but there is a time and place for everything. Don't sabotage yourself this early.

The pre-op's purpose is to shrink your liver. The way to shrink your liver is by restricting total calories, total carbs, and total fats. Alcohol contains two of those (calories and carbs/sugars), and is also pretty hard on your liver.

You could therefore increase the chance of complications. As a trade-off, it's hard to see the upside.

You will be able to have drinks again, but I don't think you should this close to surgery. Doctor made me go 8 Weeks with no drinks (pre op). Talk to your doctor, but I think I know what his answer would be. Best of Luck.

Want to go out tonight and I was thinking of having one 8oz mixed drink. Or two shots. I have surgery on the 8th and I'm in my full liquid pre op diet (day3)

8oz mixed drink is a night of drinking.? Hey, can....can't. It's your body and your decision. You need to take charge of 'em now. You're gonna be making alot of 'em after the surgery.

I had no energy to party:( plus I looked up some info on the ciroc and wine I would have chosen. *sigh* it's something I can wait to have next year. Thanks for the responses.

8oz mixed drink is a night of drinking.? Hey' date=' can....can't. It's your body and your decision. You need to take charge of 'em now. You're gonna be making alot of 'em after the surgery.[/quote'] for me 8oz would do it lol. I guess I'm like a cheap date. But no drinks over here.

I'm 5 months post-op, and after half of a highball sized glass of a vodka & cranberry and my hubby had to help me to the car. I didn't get the chance to do a pre-op diet as my surgery was rushed due to complications with a lapband and I was only given about 18 hours notice to be at the hospital. I know the surgeon said the operation is easier with the pre-op diet but not total required. Just remember the pre-op and post-op restrictions are a minimal tradeoff for the health improvement, and confidence that you will gain. In my 5 months since surgery I have had 2 drinks, the vodka cranberry and about 1/2 of a cidre (an apple cider from Budweiser) I live near the Budweiser plant here in Jacksonville and if you take the free tour they give samples to those over 21, that's where the Cidre came from. And it was amazing, even for me as a super rare drinker. And FYI I was ok with the carbonation.

If you are on a liquid preop diet, drinking will knock you flat. Also, if you are having problems with following instructions before the surgery, are you sure you're ready to face the diet restrictions that will follow the surgery? The preop diet is for shrinking the fat around your liver to minimize complications during surgery. Drinking 8 oz of alcohol is a lot for one evening. Please think hard about what you are doing.

If you are on a liquid preop diet' date=' drinking will knock you flat. Also, if you are having problems with following instructions before the surgery, are you sure you're ready to face the diet restrictions that will follow the surgery? The preop diet is for shrinking the fat around your liver to minimize complications during surgery. Drinking 8 oz of alcohol is a lot for one evening. Please think hard about what you are doing.[/quote'] my doc didn't mention the alcohol before surgery. I'm assuming it's not good though and I passed on drinking. And 8oz would be the cup size total (two shots, juice & ice). Not one cup of liquor

I'm 5 months post-op' date=' and after half of a highball sized glass of a vodka & cranberry and my hubby had to help me to the car. I didn't get the chance to do a pre-op diet as my surgery was rushed due to complications with a lapband and I was only given about 18 hours notice to be at the hospital. I know the surgeon said the operation is easier with the pre-op diet but not total required. Just remember the pre-op and post-op restrictions are a minimal tradeoff for the health improvement, and confidence that you will gain. In my 5 months since surgery I have had 2 drinks, the vodka cranberry and about 1/2 of a cidre (an apple cider from Budweiser) I live near the Budweiser plant here in Jacksonville and if you take the free tour they give samples to those over 21, that's where the Cidre came from. And it was amazing, even for me as a super rare drinker. And FYI I was ok with the carbonation.[/quote']tjats good to know. I hear drinking after vsg is totally different. Maybe il try to have a drink around my bday next summer

It sounds like you have the right attitude for success. You asked your question and you got your answers, and you listened to the advice of the people who have a lot of experience in this area. This shows that you are willing to do what it takes to be successful with this surgery. Good for you!