Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Should I do?!?

Ok guys I'm in nursing school and we have to start health assesment. We work on each other and everyweek we change partners. My problem is what do I do with my band? I had surgery dec 27th so the scars are still very visable and the port is slightly painful. Should i tell the teacher that i had the lap band and ask her if i could be exempt from having other students work on my belly. I don't want any one to know that i had the lap band and i don't know how i would explain the scars and port ( we are learing to give a full physical so they will be touching my belly) and to top that off i am the only overweight person in my whole nursing class so it would be wicked embarassing for all the skinny girls to see my big belly:cry I am just scared what she will say to me if i tell her. I don't know what to do. Thanks for any advice and insights.

Hey Ariel...

Sounds like there won't be much choice but to tell SOMEONE. Maybe you could pick the person?

You don't have to stand up in front of the class and demonstrate, do you?

Good luck! Be brave. It can't possibly be the most embarassing moment of your life, can it?

Hugs!

Ariel,

I am a nurse and had to do those lousy exams on other students so I know a little bit about what that's like.

How about you approach your instructor with your situation and see if she/he can work with you?

I think the magic word would be "confidentiality." If you can convince your instructor that you are eager to be an active member of this experience but fear you may have to divulge a private health matter in doing so she/he may be more understanding. I'm sure your instructor can find a way to discretely have you join in without exposing yourself.

Frankly, they have to adapt their lesson to your privacy needs and not doing so could create a "hostile learning environment." I am an RN and part-time instructor at a local college so these things are very sensitive. I know you don't want to come off as defensive or hostile. They do however have to protect your privacy and I have a feeling they will do what they can to accomodate you.

Again, I think the magic word is "confidentiality" and even if you just tell the instructor they will be bound to that in their own scope of practice or teaching with you.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Thanks Lisa and Rene, I guess i will just tell the instructor. I'm nervous about what she will say but i guess oh well. Lisa, on one of our days we have to work with a partner and find out the other persons BMI using a number of different methods did you have to do this? I think that day i will just die of embarassment so i will prob. skip it. If you did it how did you handle that day?

I work an a nurse educator and urge you to pull your instructor to the side and ask her when you can speak with her in private for a few minutes. You do not have to divulge what surgery you had to ANYONE. Simply explain to your instructor that you had laproscopic surgery and show her the incisions. Tell her you have tenderness in the abdominal and stomach region and prefer not to make your surgery public. If she gives you any flack, go right to the chairman of the department.