Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Knees out again...

So this whole process started because under the advice of my Dr. I was told I needed to loose 100lbs to save my knees.

I tried and tried and now that I have found my answer to the weight, I can't get my knee to cooperate.

It is so swollen now that it looks deformed. In the past I just to the anti inflams and iced. That did the trick. Now I can only ice... It's not working.

I want to workout and I can't. It's like God is testing me. I know I need to go back to Kaiser but my sports physician takes forever to get into and the regular Dr.s will give the exact opposite advice as My sports physician. They put me on crutches that do nothing but make your muscles weak...or worse yet tell you to stay off of it.

Well I know from years of this problem that is horrible advice. But I am stuck because I know I need an new mri and anti inflams but I don't want to harm my band... What the hell am I suppose to do?

Anyone have good advice:confused:

Rica, best of luck! It might be wise to use the crutches and give your knee a rest. I take Celebrex for arthritis and held off using it until my post-op visit. The dr. advised that I take a Prevacid (RX for reflux) before taking the Celebrex. I take it long before I know that I'll be lying down. Please take care of yourself!

Rica, I have trouble with my knees also. Especially my left one. I started celebrex and take a chewable gloucosimine (sp) every day and it really helps. I never thaught about it possibly hurting my band. Maybe you should rest it some. Best of luck to you...Janie

Janie the Glucosomine Chrondroitin is a good suggestion. I was taking them prior to my lap band surgery and they really helped my knee problems. Of course now that I have lost 40 lbs my knees are not bothering me as much. But the GC will help you RICA. I highly suggest getting some.

Rica, I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I just want you to know that I'm sorry you are in so much pain and I'm thinking of you.

Nancy

Rica, have you ever tried a topical cream, such as aspercreme? My youngest daughter broke her femur, and she had alot of swelling after the cast was removed. At the time, she was too young for anti-inflamitories. Aspercreme really helped her during rehab. There are also some stronger sports rubs, with 25%salysilic acid that penetrate locally. They work well if your skin can tolerate the creams. Hope you get to feeling better.

Thanks everyone! I will go and get the Glucosimine. I do the topical treatments. It's not that I am in pain. It is indeed uncomphy... and the knee tends to buckle but I am lucky there is only an occasional buckle. On the bright side it does get me out of house work with my husband...:) He always tries a little harder when the knee looks like this. But I have never been one to sit for long. I have a call in the aptment line and My Sports Dr. is pretty good at getting back to me. I havent told her about the opperation yet so I am going to look up all I can find so that she can give me good advice. Thanks again eveyone...

Hobble ,Hobble, hobble....:think

There is also a liquid glucosamine, called Joint Care by liquid Naturals. It has 2000 mg. gluco., 1200 chondroitin, 500 msm, and 50 collagen. (Can you tell I'm reading it off the bottle?)

Does it do any good to use a velcro wrap on your knee at night when you're lying down?

Thanks Marie I will try that... Where did you get it GNC? I rap and Ice my knee at night... but the only thing that I find that works well is my anti inflams...which I have now put down. But I am up to try anything!:)

I found it at Sams. That's our wholesale club (like Costco) here.

Celebrex (RX) is an anti-inflammatory. But I was told to take a Prevacid (RX) to protect my stomach before taking the Celebrex. Celebrex is actually supposed to be one of the better, more gentler anti-inflam. to take.

Have you tried bike riding for exercise? It seems to work better for me than walking. Less weight on the joints.

Water aerobics are excellent and almost no weight on joints. I just can't get up the nerve to buy and wear a swimsuit, especially in front of other people!

My problem is that I stand all day long on it because of teaching. Then I coach at the University and workout... Well the working out is out for now. I don't belong to a gym or I would def do the Water arobics...beside sounding funm it's so damn hot out that I would do anything to get out of the heat. So tomorrow off to Sam's I go there is one right down the street from my school. Thanks Marie!:) :eek: :eek:

Yeah, standing would aggravate it. Will they let you sit on a stool at the front of the classroom? But the coaching I know would require a lot of moving around. I know the super weight loss you've had so far has to be helping! The liquid gluc. is about $17 at Sams. Best of luck to you! It's no fun to hurt.

Third graders require way too much attenion for me to sit... But I will rap it tonight and elevate it with pillows so maybve tomorrow I can get through the day... And Yes Marie the weightloss is helping... Boy I can't wait to salsa again:D

Rica, have you tried compression hose (or long length socks)? They come in various lengths and colors. You can get them at the medical supply store. They're a little pricey, but they might help.

My husband's anke swells terribly when he's on his feet a lot. (He had a vein removed from the entire length of his leg for heart bypass surgery 7 years ago.) He wears the knee-high compression socks on both legs every day to work. It has really helped with the swelling.

They're supposed to be good for the prevention of varicose veins also.

Hope you're hurting a lot less today!