Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

They do increase your blood sugar rather rapidly but also provide sometimes-needed carbs. On days when I am really tired, I eat half a baked sweet potato, but I do that while keeping my overall carbs low. I have to be careful because I am carb-sensitive. Others don't have to watch it so much.

White potatoes can and do increase your insulin secretion. What that means is that when the sugar-high from them is gone, you will feel hungry again.

Also I've tried a bite of two of potato, and it didn't sit well with me so I suspect they are very dense. If you are going to eat some, go slowly is my suggestion.

If you are diabetic, I'd use them in moderation. They will make your blood sugar go up a bit, since it's basically starch which your body breaks down to sugar. I don't think they're going to hurt in a small portion, especially if you cook it healthy (i.e, not a french-fry.) I suppose it's like anything else, don't overdo it and I'm sure you'll be fine.

What happens to food after you eat it is extremely complicated (taking up most or all of a semester in a university biochemistry course). I'll try not to get too scientific here. I CAN tell you that the main way your body is powered is via aerobic respiration which, through a complicated process, takes glucose (sugar) and oxygen and turns them into energy (ATP), Water, and carbon dioxide (this is why we need to breathe in oxygen and breathe out CO2). Your body can take building blocks from any type of food and use it to make glucose (this happens in the liver), so in a way, the answer to your question is yes. However, unless you are on the Atkins diet or have not had a meal in a day or so, probably most of the glucose in your body comes from carbohydrates in your diet. Your body can take any carbohydrate and break it down more or less directly to glucose. Proteins and fats, on the other hand, must be broken down and then rebuilt into glucose (it is "easier" for your body to use carbs for energy). Plus, your body's cells are constantly growing and dividing and producing hormones, etc., and they need amino acids and fatty acids to do so. Thus the Proteins and fats you eat are more likely to be broken down and used for these purposes. These are more or less the theories behind high-Protein, low-carb diets. When your body is carb-depleted, it is forced to use fat and Protein for energy. This may cause you to lose weight, but is not the way your body is meant to work and thus can be dangerous. It can lead to a condition called ketosis (which can cause nausea, dehydration, headaches, light-headedness, irritability, bad breath, and kidney problems), and also causes loss of muscle mass. Plus, the high fat and cholesterol content and low-Fiber content of these diets can lead to heart and digestive problems. I know that is probably more than you wanted to know but it seems like most people, when asking questions such as this, would be wondering about the implications of different diets.

so everything we eat eventually turns into sugar to fuel the body in one way or another....Look at what a potato can give you as far as nutrients and Vitamins......

My advice is to try everything and eat what suits your makeup and limit the carbs...as they are the ones that your body does not have to work hard at turning into glucose...

I eat a little of everything I want....10 months out and 160 lbs. down I think it is working!! :)

If someone told me Id never aagain be able to eat a french fry, I would be very sad. I can only eat about 6 of them but I still do occasionally eat them.

And mashed potatoes was a staple on my soft diet a few wks ago. I know they aren't the healthiest choice but I luv me some potatoes...

I am eating potato Soup right now actually.

Potatoes? Bad? Ask the Irish, they'll tell you whether a spud is bad for you.. And that would be a big fat no! As everyone has said - in moderation, it's all good in the hood :)

Just got my post op diet for weeks 2-4 and after I get my Protein in I am allowed to have starch's including Potatoes, sweet potatoes, and squash. So, obviously not bad for you :) I haven't tried them yet, but I kinda want to make some and just have a couple bites cus they sound yummy

Everything in moderation.

"Diet" has two distinct meanings for me so while I don't want to diet for the rest of my life (and will rely on my sleeve to help with portion contriol) i do want to eat a good diet. For me that is about eating in a way I can sustain long term that incorporates what I have learned about good food choices since being sleeved.

I always put my Protein first but enjoy a spoon of mashed potato or one little potato with some veg. I am talking tiny amounts here but, for me, it looks and feels as if I am eating " normally " again when I see my (side) plate with a mix on it. Again, for me, I know this will help me make this way of life sustainable.

There are few "bad" foods but there are plenty of ways to abuse most foods through volume and frequency of eating them. That's my challenge rather than any one food!!!! :-)