Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Am coming to Houston for 11 days in October. It is a big show on at the convention centre and I am very excited. I will just be flying in and then back to Australia. No other sight seeing. There will be other travelling companions with me.

However I am also very nervous. It will mean every meal out. I am staying at the Hilton Americas, but don't plan to eat there very much. When I leave I will only be 11 weeks post op and still not on a full diet. I am now, and will still be, on soft food only.

I am hoping there will be a bar frig in the room and that I can find a nearby supermarket for things like yoghurt and cheese. We do plan on getting to The Galleria one day.

I should also mention that my nutritionist wants me to be getting my Protein from real food, not shakes by then.

After reading about some of your restaurants on this forum I am quite worried about what I will be able to eat. Any advice would be appreciated

11 weeks post op? You should be able to eat anything. I was released to all foods at 6 weeks post op. you will have no problem finding lunch meats, cheese, hamburger, etc. at American restaurants. Have a great time.

How is your soft diet? I am on Fork soft/mush until week 12, but I can have things like grilled chicken and fish etc...

Because I was bored I was looking in the area near your hotel and there is a Chick-fil-A close by and they have a grilled chicken nuggets kids meal available, which could be a great quick meal. You could hit up a Chinese restaurant and than you can get a chicken and stir fried vegetables. If you go to a Mexican restaurant maybe some ground beef, Beans and a little cheese. I absolutely agree that yogurt and cheese from the grocery store is a great idea! I know we all go at different rates but at this moment I get all of my Protein from food, I haven't had a Protein Drink in well over a week and I don't plan on starting anytime soon. A hint.... unflavored Protein added to a greek yogurt, a half scoop combined makes it over 20g of protein!

At 11 weeks, i was able to eat a considerable variety. Even then, Soup was always a go to on any restaurant menu and most places are open to adapting to suit my needs.

I am always prepared on trips to the USA for hotels to be a bit different to what we are used to. Sometimes they don't have a bar fridge. That said, there is always a store close by that sells yoghurt and cheese and Protein bars etc.

I really enjoyed my last trip to Houston, I hope you have a great time!

11 weeks post op? You should be able to eat anything. I was released to all foods at 6 weeks post op. you will have no problem finding lunch meats' date=' cheese, hamburger, etc. at American restaurants. Have a great time.[/quote']

Yes I thought so as well, however I still have swelling and can eat very little, I am allowed to eat most things if they are moist or have sauces but nothing crunchy. Thanks for the ideas.

How is your soft diet? I am on Fork soft/mush until week 12' date=' but I can have things like grilled chicken and fish etc... Because I was bored I was looking in the area near your hotel and there is a Chick-fil-A close by and they have a grilled chicken nuggets kids meal available, which could be a great quick meal. You could hit up a Chinese restaurant and than you can get a chicken and stir fried vegetables. If you go to a Mexican restaurant maybe some ground beef, Beans and a little cheese. I absolutely agree that yogurt and cheese from the grocery store is a great idea! I know we all go at different rates but at this moment I get all of my Protein from food, I haven't had a Protein Drink in well over a week and I don't plan on starting anytime soon. A hint.... unflavored protein added to a greek yogurt, a half scoop combined makes it over 20g of protein![/quote']

Thank you for the ideas. I hadn't thought of adding Protein Powder to yoghurt. Thanks for that. I think there is some sort of food hall nearby. I will be a little bit restricted by where the others want to eat as well.

Last month, I traveled to Florida for 8 days and packed enough Protein Bars to make sure I had something. Surprisingly, the convenience store had greek yogurt and string cheese. You could always order scrambled eggs from the hotel restaurant (that seems to keep me full several hours). Make sure you carry a water bottle on your day trips and you should be fine. Have fun.