Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My situation

My insurance requires I have 6 consecutive visits with my family physician to be weighed every month. I am current weighing under 2-3pounds weight difference. Just those couple of pounds can make ineligible for the surgery. Today I am bloated and I weigh perfect weight for surgery. I have to for 6 straight months of being weighed. If I lose one pound it kicks me out. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do?

Thank you,

Jennifer

Jennepen,

Most insurance companies go by the weight on your first visit to the doctor. They tend to not penalize you for losing weight on a 6 month diet. To be sure that you won't be excluded if you lose too much during this period, verify it with your insurance company. You might ask them to give you something in writing so you know what criteria you have to meet and don't have surprises down the road.

Good luck with your weight loss journey. The six month period will go by quickly.

I have Health Net California. I was told they only go by the first weigh in. I would not be penalized for loosing weight. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, 3more weigh in's left.

I asked my surgeon's office because I was in the same boat. She told me that it's a possibility I can get denied if I go under the BMI and I also heard they go by the original weight. I never got confirmation from the insurance company because I didn't lose.