Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello out there. Newbee with questions

Hi everyone,

I am in St. Louis and I am looking into getting banded at the New Start program with Dr. Van Wagner. I just filled out all the paperwork. Does anyone out there have UHC Choice Plus H? I was turned down after appeal a couple of years ago when I had BCBS because of contract exclusion and no clause for medical necessity. I get so mad when I think about how insurance companies will pay to keep me sick with all of these co-morbidities but they won't pay a relatively small fee to help me stay healthy for life. Somebody tell me something good about insurance. Has anything improved in the last couple of years?

We had dinner with a friend last night who said Dr. Wagner told her that she would do better with the RNY because she told him that she hates to exercise and doesn't plan on doing any ever! I don't know about you... I am ready for this weight to disappear as much as anyone but given the research I have done, I would rather do the lap band. I too, loathe exercise and I hope I am not fooling myself here but I think significant, sustained weight loss will inspire me to exercise. If nothing else I do not want the sagging skin problem. This friend claimed she had done quite a bit of research too and she didn’t think the lap band was the best choice anymore. She didn’t convince me but she did get me thinking. I just can’t wait to hear what the surgeon recommends for me.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

Anna in St. Louis

Anna,

Welcome to LBT. I'm in the Kansas City area. If you're on the internet then you must be one of the lucky ones that has electricity. I'm sorry to hear about the horrible weather you've had. We had an ice storm a few years ago that sounds exactly what you're going through. My power was out for 4 days and part of my roof collapsed.

I am not banded yet, my consultation is Tuesday. I just wanted to wish you good luck on your journey.

Sharon

Hi everyone,

We had dinner with a friend last night who said Dr. Wagner told her that she would do better with the RNY because she told him that she hates to exercise and doesn't plan on doing any ever! I don't know about you... I am ready for this weight to disappear as much as anyone but given the research I have done, I would rather do the lap band. I too, loathe exercise and I hope I am not fooling myself here but I think significant, sustained weight loss will inspire me to exercise. If nothing else I do not want the sagging skin problem. This friend claimed she had done quite a bit of research too and she didn’t think the lap band was the best choice anymore. She didn’t convince me but she did get me thinking. I just can’t wait to hear what the surgeon recommends for me.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

Anna in St. Louis

I had my lap band in august, I've lost 70 lbs, I hate excersising and I got a personal trainer, to meet with me for 30 mins twice a week, you need to turn fat into muscle, and the more you excersise, the better you feel. From a woman who hates exercising. I chose the band because I never wanted to have sugery again, and there are a lots of risks with bypass, and something could throw you back on the opperating table again! This is serious stuff, and recovering from the band is easier than the bypass, even though recovery still is hard. Get your sugeon to deal with your insurance, I know that my hospital did - good luck

Caroline