Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Introduction.......

Hi,

I'm a 37 year old Mother of 4, and am presently going through the pre-op appointments for the Lap Band procedure. I've been reading a lot on this site and I have a surgery date set for 2/23/07. I have an HMO and have no hope of having much covered, but I just can't wait any longer so I've decided to self pay (which should be interesting). My husband is supportive, and I think he'll probably follow along with my preop diet etc.

I am pretty excited and apprehensive, but I just have such a good feeling about the surgery and how this will work for me. I am more of a volume eater, so I think this will really help me since Portion Control is my main downfall. I have been very overweight for a long time now, but just added another 40-50 pounds in the last 18 months, and know now is the time to do this.

I have gotten to the point where I don't want to do anything with my family, and just getting up to do a load of laundry is a challenge. So far I have no major health problems, but so many aches and pains and discomforts. Sometimes it is hard to tell how much is the weight and how much is just me. Are there those of you that felt alot better after losing even those beginning pounds........I'm just wondering how long it will be until have more energy etc. b/c the total process is going to be long for me. I'm about 5'5" and 290 pounds right now.

Thanks for listening and for all your inspiring stories.....take care.

Gretchen

Hi Gretchen,

Congrats on making this life changing decision. I was banded on June 6th and so far I am down about 40 lbs. I lost 40 preop as well. So my total weight loss is 80 lbs to date. You will feel so much better. Even with 10% loss you should have more energy. Best of luck.

Hi Gretchens4!

I too had all the discomforts of being overweight and barely getting done what needed to be done. I used to be a very "active" overweight person but just kept putting on the pounds and I would wake up some mornings with my back hurting so bad i couldnt pick the baby up and felt horrible. I was banded on the 16th in Mexico not quite a week but already feeling a bit better. Lost 6 pounds and very excited to keep losing. Best to you and keep in touch.

Thanks so much for your replys. I feel so much hope hearing that with even a small loss (on a long journey) I could feel better. I also was a very active overweight person for many years. After my fourth child I spent a couple of years dealing with numerous issues and ended up gaining a lot more weight after years of hovering around 230-240. I am shocked how quickly I've gotten up to my present weight, but I do think it's those last 40 or so pounds that have really debilitated me. I thought maybe some of it was getting older, and tired with all the kids etc., but when I think of what I used to do, and how much more active I was, I'm sure much of it will be alleviated by weight loss. I also have stopped exercising in the last year which compounded all of it.

I truly appreciate your responding.

Gretchen

I have been researching it all, also HMO, so will have to be self pay, weight has been a struggle my whole life....husband doesn't understand how I can be soo determined, disciplined and self-controlled as he puts it when I really want to be, I said to him, do you think I really want to be fat. Otherwise I don't know why my self-control, discipline goes out the window with food. I, like you an a volume eater. Hope I am heading in the right direction.

Hi Gretchen,

Congratulations on your journey! We had the same scheduled surgery date. I am anxious, and will be praying for a successful surgery for you and me, and look forward to hearing your story in a few days.:nervous

Thanks so much to both of you. I don't understand why food takes such a hold on some people either. I am successful also in the other aspects of my life (although they are going down hill rapidly b/c of my physical ailments and lack of energy). I just can't wait to feel better. Yes, I want to look better too, and the patience will be frustrating, but I can't wait and know I am totally ready.

I can't believe we have the same surgery date!! We'll have to go through this together. I still have to visit a cardiologist and do a barium swallow, but all my other testing is this week.

Keep me posted.

Gretchen

Hi Gretchen and welcome! I too am a mother of 4(never a dull moment) Congrats on your upcoming surgery.My surgery is coming up real soon-Jan.30th. I am nervous and excited too. Please keep in touch-Gigi

Gretchen!!! That is gong to be my birthday, so I will send all my birthday wishes to you and all the best your new life will offer!!!! I hope my date won't be too far away!!

GoddesPotential:clap2:

HI Gigi! Looks like we can go through this together too. I'm scheduled on the 30th. I'm also nervous and excited! My best friend, who happens to be a size 4, is so supportive of me and is cheering me on. She stated that if I chicken out, she's going to drag me there herself. Now, that's LOVE!! LOL!!

Hi Gretchen and welcome! I too am a mother of 4(never a dull moment) Congrats on your upcoming surgery.My surgery is coming up real soon-Jan.30th. I am nervous and excited too. Please keep in touch-Gigi

Wow, another Mom of 4....how old are your kids? I have 3 boys 11, 8, and 5, and a little girl who's 3. It's so busy......they were out of school for a snow day today and I am so tired. I can't wait to feel in better shape. Even when I weighed 40 pounds less I exercised and felt pretty good most of the time.

Good luck to you and please keep me posted. Gretchen

Gretchen!!! That is gong to be my birthday, so I will send all my birthday wishes to you and all the best your new life will offer!!!! I hope my date won't be too far away!!

GoddesPotential:clap2:

Thanks so much!! I hope you get your date soon. I will turn 38 soon after my surgery and am hoping to be at goal by my 40h bday!

Take care and thanks for the warm welcome. Gretchen

Wow, another Mom of 4....how old are your kids? I have 3 boys 11, 8, and 5, and a little girl who's 3. It's so busy......they were out of school for a snow day today and I am so tired. I can't wait to feel in better shape. Even when I weighed 40 pounds less I exercised and felt pretty good most of the time.

Good luck to you and please keep me posted. Gretchen

Hi Gretchen! How funny, I have 3 boys-14,12,and 8, and a 6y.old girl.( They all just had their b-days in Dec/Jan). It certainly is busy. I always say that I should be thin because I am nonstop, especially in the summer when everyone is home. Now we have 2 things in common! Anyway, please keep in touch this week and after your surgery. Gigi:)

Oh my gosh......it's almost the same age differences, I'm just 3 years behind you.......My 3rd boy will be 6 in May. He's my hardest and in 1/2 day kindergarten so I'm suffering this year. It should be much, much easier next year. Everyone else is pretty easy these days.

Please email me if you want

gretchenlord@smartneighborhood.net

Let's keep in touch. I had my nutrition appt. today and it went well. All these appt. are killing me b/c they are so hard to schedule around the kids.

Thanks for your note. Gretchen

HI Gigi! Looks like we can go through this together too. I'm scheduled on the 30th. I'm also nervous and excited! My best friend, who happens to be a size 4, is so supportive of me and is cheering me on. She stated that if I chicken out, she's going to drag me there herself. Now, that's LOVE!! LOL!!

Hi! Where are you having your surgery? It is nice to talk to someone who will be banded on the same date as me. Are you following any sort of pre-op diet? I am on 3 Protein shakes/day with a meal consisting of 3oz Protein and unlimited veggies. We should keep in touch. Talk to you soon.Gigi:)