Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

indecisive about surgery, please help

I am a 31 yr old female trying to decide on weither or not to have the gastric sleeve procedure done. My regular doctor said im pretty much healthy besides the high blood pressure and polysistic overy syndrome. Im at 307 lbs (bmi 47) the heaviest I've ever been. I've heard that if you are 125 lbs over weight that this isn't for you. My ideal weight would be 150-175. I also would like to increase my chances of conceiving a child naturally because the biological clock is ticking. I have been doing dieting or healthy lifestyle but always seem to gain the weight back. My friends say I just need to get back in the gym but I'm afraid of not losing the weight and not be able to conceive a child with my husband. Please me for all of you that have gone through the procedure.

Welcome to the forum, IMO, you have come to the right place for your research. You will get a wide range of opinions and experiences here, for sure.

I was sleeved just over 2 years ago and long story short, it was the best decision I ever made. Ever. Above getting married and having children, which, I love them all, dearly, but this was a decision that was FOR ME and was life altering in ways I cannot even fully describe.

From my experience and research, and knowing that the sleeve is still relatively new, I believe the medical community are trying to be conservative with estimates of weight loss expectations. They have been doing GBP for years and have all sorts of data to be able to make estimates off of. It has been the "Gold Standard" as they say. But, propeller airplanes were also the "Gold Standard" until they weren't anymore. Sure, they have their place, just like GBP does, but IMO, there is a new sheriff in town and their name is VSG.

Far fewer complications (although there are complications, so be sure to research), no malabsorption issues, no restrictions on foods (except raw coconut and whole celery warnings, read about bezoars) I can pretty much eat anything and everything, just far smaller quantities. I lost 120 pounds and unlike my previous diets, it has never come back. I truly believe anyone can lose as much weight as they need to with the sleeve whether it be 50 pounds or 250 pounds. It is all about following the guidelines. You cheat your sleeve, you won't lose ... it is as simple as that.

Keep researching and ask questions here and other WLS forums, but I think you'll find VST pretty cool.

GO FOR IT!! I was sleeved 6/13. I started at 323, day of was 308, now 277. I'm 35, 5'4" no kids. My doc said I was healthy for it. Just POS. I didn't really have any problems. Some nausea in the beginning but was gone after a few weeks. Now, I stay away from carbonation and meat. I eat slow cause I vomit if I go fast. I do some walking, and excersize. Even though I feel I should be loosing more faster, my doc says I'm doing great! Best thing I've ever done. Honestly, I feel like nothing has changed. Just my eating habits. I was undecided for at least 2 years. But when I finally did it, I was soooo HAPPY!!!!

Hello, I also welcome you to this site. I used this site to research many things before surgery. I am in my late 40s, am a revision from lap band to sleeve and my surgery was 3 months ago today. I also have poly ovary disease. 5 months after having band surgery, I found out I was pregnant, which makes the age between our 2 children 10 years apart. We tried for 8 years to have another baby. I believe weight, at least in my case, has a lot to do with fertility. In my case, I think my body knew I couldn't carry a child, at least healthy anyway. Once I lost 75lbs, I got PG and my entire pregnancy was a breeze, even though I was still 70 lbs overweight. Can you be guaranteed that weight loss surgery will help you conceive, no. I can tell you I didn't follow my surgeon's advice of getting on birth control because I thought I couldn't get pregnant again and my 4yo is living proof I should have listened. I am sooo happy for my lap band baby though! As far as the amount of weight you have to lose, I agree with PdxMan, if you follow what they tell you, it will happen. I am 3 months out and 58 lbs down with 65 more to go. It is by far the best decision I have made for myself, EVER. Good luck to you and you will know what the right answer is for you when the time is right. PS...having kids later in life is a blessing, my first I was 33, last I was 43 and I still had a whole life before kids.

Thank you guys I'm still deciding but I think I'm leaning towards doing it. Why keep wasiting time when I could've had it done already.

I started at 292, and am supposed to weigh between 140-160 at 5'8". So yes you can have the sleeve even if you want to lose more then 100lb. It's been done. I chose the sleeve because it is the best option and the safest of the three. So far I am very happy with my choice. Besides a few days of discomfort I've been feeling great. I found that an optional surgery is much scarier then a needed surgery. But this surgery will help me so I don't struggle the rest of my life. Best luck in your decision making. Be positive and don't over read into any of the forums.

I also would encourage it. I think if I had done it at 31 instead of 38 I would have had 7 happier, healthier years. I was 304 pounds at my heaviest. Lost ~ 40 pounds pre-op and 55 now post op (I was 209 this morning!!). sleeved 5/1/13.

So what if I decide to have the surgery and lets say I get pregnant what about the nutrition the baby needs since I can't eat like a normal person and the lack of Vitamins there a higher risk of complications with the pregnancy?

There's a forum for that HERE.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/forum/46-pregnancy-with-gastric-sleeve-surgery-vsg/

It is suggested to wait before getting pregnant. The folks in the linked forum can tell you all about it, but know that many sleevers have great success with pregnancy.

So what if I decide to have the surgery and lets say I get pregnant what about the nutrition the baby needs since I can't eat like a normal person and the lack of Vitamins there a higher risk of complications with the pregnancy?

I'm definetly not an expert, but I believe if someone conceives after wls that they become high risk. I do have a lot of experience with having high risk pregnancies though ! I have had 4 children, three being high risk.

Well that's a given not to try and get preg. The first year of having surgery just wanted to hear from people that have wls and pregnancy after wards