Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UK Local Lap-Band Support

Hi stumbled onto to this site tonight after not been able to sleep. I have made the decision to have surgery but Iam totally undecided as to what or where. I live in the west midlands has anyone had banding/bypass surgery in this area. I am going to organise a consultation tomorrow with healthier wieght anybody used them? I so want this done but i really don't want to make the wrong decision and regret it.

Any advise would be great.:tongue2:

hi jan if i were u i would look up dr chris debruyne he is one of the top belgium doctors im going with him there are 600 thread of peep talking about him:thumbup:

Hello All,

I'm Claire from Northants and I lost a significant amount of weight (5 stone) and then had another baby and it just doesn't want to shift.

I have read some amazing weight loss testimonials on this site. Well done to everyone. I have seriously been considering a lap band since October 2009.

I was referred into the NHS but my GP wasn't confident that I would be able to get funding as I don't have anything wrong with me (Yet!) i.e. diabetes. Although I see this as a preventative; I have a family health history of diabetes from both sides, a triple bypass on paternal side and just feel like I am a ticking bomb just waiting to turn a certain age and boooooom!

I had an ACL replacement in 2008 and it is stable but I am forever being told you need to lose weight.

At the referral I felt so bullied as I do genuinely think that the lack of exercise (since the knee op) and an underactive thyroid contribute to my excess weight. I was bullied by the Consultant and it was a horrible experience. He told me that I was a secret binge eater in the fridge in the early hours and that he would get me to admit it before he would agree to any surgery. I wish I am so tired I go to bed and sleep. Just appalling to be treated like this. I came away feeling very disheartened and quite shell shocked that people are treated in this way when they are genuinely asking for help.

I was advised to join a weight loss group. I went along and the lady who ran it could see that I knew what I was talking about as we eat very healthily and cook (low fat) and she blatantly told me that exercise in her view made absolutely no difference. Having been a PE teacher and sports mad for many years I had to disagree and choose not to go back (what a surprise).

So I have mulled and mulled and finally came to a decision and confided in my husband and my mum.

I am provisionally booked in with Dr Chris in Belgium for the 30th July 2010 subject to deposit and borrowing some money. I am saving like crazy and every little bit is in an envelope. I don't have any doubts as I feel that this forum and others blogs have helped me. I am planning to use Herbalife as a supplement as it is not just a weight loss product but used to build people up and maintain weight.

In some ways I see this as a new era in my life I have two lovely children, we would have had more but we have chosen not to. So I want to move forward positively as I have been on the receiving end of some nasty comments from employers e.g. "you don't fit the image of a PE teacher" okay so I don't represent my country and I'm not stick thin but the kids I taught loved PE and had positive experiences.

I am not doing this for vanity I am doing it so that I feel happy being in a photograph, so that I can run around with my children playing footie and not risk rupturing the repair and so that I can feel more positive. I'll put up with anything that the surgery wants to throw at me and afterwards.

Sorry for going on but oh it feels so good to have that off my chest. If I don't manage to get all the money together I will postpone July but I will defnately be getting it done.

Take care and thank you for reading if you have got this far.:(

Hello All,

I'm Claire from Northants and I lost a significant amount of weight (5 stone) and then had another baby and it just doesn't want to shift.

I have read some amazing weight loss testimonials on this site. Well done to everyone. I have seriously been considering a LAP-BAND® since October 2009.

I was referred into the NHS but my GP wasn't confident that I would be able to get funding as I don't have anything wrong with me (Yet!) i.e. diabetes. Although I see this as a preventative; I have a family health history of diabetes from both sides, a triple bypass on paternal side and just feel like I am a ticking bomb just waiting to turn a certain age and boooooom!

I had an ACL replacement in 2008 and it is stable but I am forever being told you need to lose weight.

At the referral I felt so bullied as I do genuinely think that the lack of exercise (since the knee op) and an underactive thyroid contribute to my excess weight. I was bullied by the Consultant and it was a horrible experience. He told me that I was a secret binge eater in the fridge in the early hours and that he would get me to admit it before he would agree to any surgery. I wish I am so tired I go to bed and sleep. Just appalling to be treated like this. I came away feeling very disheartened and quite shell shocked that people are treated in this way when they are genuinely asking for help.

I was advised to join a weight loss group. I went along and the lady who ran it could see that I knew what I was talking about as we eat very healthily and cook (low fat) and she blatantly told me that exercise in her view made absolutely no difference. Having been a PE teacher and sports mad for many years I had to disagree and choose not to go back (what a surprise).

So I have mulled and mulled and finally came to a decision and confided in my husband and my mum.

I am provisionally booked in with Dr Chris in Belgium for the 30th July 2010 subject to deposit and borrowing some money. I am saving like crazy and every little bit is in an envelope. I don't have any doubts as I feel that this forum and others blogs have helped me. I am planning to use Herbalife as a supplement as it is not just a weight loss product but used to build people up and maintain weight.

In some ways I see this as a new era in my life I have two lovely children, we would have had more but we have chosen not to. So I want to move forward positively as I have been on the receiving end of some nasty comments from employers e.g. "you don't fit the image of a PE teacher" okay so I don't represent my country and I'm not stick thin but the kids I taught loved PE and had positive experiences.

I am not doing this for vanity I am doing it so that I feel happy being in a photograph, so that I can run around with my children playing footie and not risk rupturing the repair and so that I can feel more positive. I'll put up with anything that the surgery wants to throw at me and afterwards.

Sorry for going on but oh it feels so good to have that off my chest. If I don't manage to get all the money together I will postpone July but I will defnately be getting it done.

Take care and thank you for reading if you have got this far.:(

hi hun i know exaCTLY HOW U FEEL IM BOOKED WITH DR CHRIS ALSO ON 27TH JULY FOR MY SURGERY AND I CANT WAIT TO WEAR CLOTHES I FEEL COMFORTABLE IN,LOOK ON THE SITE FOR AS ANYONE HEARD OF DR CHRIS DEBRUYNE THERE ARE 600 PAGES ITS FAB GOOD LUCK HUN:thumbup:

Any one used Mr Ackroyd through WLS based in Sheffield? I'm researching surgeons but would prefer to stay in the Uk and am based in North Yorkshire.

Any one used Mr Ackroyd through WLS based in Sheffield? I'm researching surgeons but would prefer to stay in the Uk and am based in North Yorkshire.

no sorry hun,i wouldn't pay the prices they charge here,they should charge the same as the belgium surgeons,afterall it is the belgium surgeons who train ours good luck hunting

Hi all, new to this site although I have passed by many times to read up on how everyone is doing. I hope to make new friends on here as we are all in the same boat and non judgemental.

I was banded in May by Dr Chris De Bruyne in Belgium. If anyone needs any advice I would be only too happy to help.

Hope everyone is well and happy take care x:thumbup:

Edited by Weemombies

Hi all, new to this site although I have passed by many times to read up on how everyone is doing. I hope to make new friends on here as we are all in the same boat and non judgemental.

I was banded in May by Dr Chris De Bruyne in Belgium. If anyone needs any advice I would be only too happy to help.

Hope everyone is well and happy take care x:thumbup:

well done hun at least your on your journey,how was you after op,as im traveling by car home to northern ireland,at what point did you feel comfortable afterwoods lol i know everyone is different just wondering and how is your weight loss have you a lot to lose i want to lose about 6.5 stones good luck hun:thumbup:

well done hun at least your on your journey,how was you after op,as im traveling by car home to northern ireland,at what point did you feel comfortable afterwoods lol i know everyone is different just wondering and how is your weight loss have you a lot to lose i want to lose about 6.5 stones good luck hun:thumbup:

Hi there. After my operation there was obvious pain and discomfort but not so much that I couldn't move around. Any operation is going to cause pain so I expected it, took the painkillers and tried to sleep. If your travelling by car make sure your not actually driving (know it sounds daft but some people attempt it) and a wee tip would be to take a small cushion or a soft pillow to put across your tummy under your seat belt. It would mean that you have extra support for when you hit the bumpy roads!! As for the weight loss, to be honest I am really disapointed with my weight loss to date. I have lost 20lbs since May BUT a stone of that was within 7 days of having the band fitted due to the fact I was on a purely liquid diet. My weight has yo-yo'ed up and down by a few pounds for a few weeks and I'm getting really fed up. I have had weight problems all my life and researched the gastric band for a year before I actually had the op so I knew it wasn't a miracle cure. A gastric band doesn't give you instant weight loss and a size 8 figure. It's a tool to help you lose weight but you have to be really committed to it. I stick to a healthy diet but due to being disabled I have limited mobility and can't hit the gym or anything. I had my first fill last month and had 3ml's put in. My 2nd fill is due on 16th July and I'm going to have a word with the Doctor and ask why Im still not feeling restriction. I was hoping to have lost quite a bit before my holiday in october so as I would be able to do more with my children. Anyway, Ive said way more than I planned to lol but good luck with your banding and I'm sure your username will change from wannabeslinky to iamslinky before you know it :thumbup: Take care x

hi hun it can take up to 4 or 5 fills for restriction,because as you lose weight u lose weight on the inside too so your band loosens and needs to be tightened dont lose hope you will be fine,you will soon go through what they call bandster hell were you dont lose anything for a couple of months it's just your body going into starvation mode but u will get on track,search the forum for anyone heard of docter chris debruyne there are loads of peep on there

hi hun it can take up to 4 or 5 fills for restriction,because as you lose weight u lose weight on the inside too so your band loosens and needs to be tightened dont lose hope you will be fine,you will soon go through what they call bandster hell were you dont lose anything for a couple of months it's just your body going into starvation mode but u will get on track,search the forum for anyone heard of docter chris debruyne there are loads of peep on there

Hi again. I did loads of research on Dr Chris as I wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing by going abroad for the surgery. I know that it can take a few fills to get the correct restriction but I know I shouldn't be able to eat the amount of food I could eat if I chose to. It's as if the band isn't there at all. I have a lot of weight to lose and I don't think I should be hitting a plateau already. Everyone is different, even those of us who have been banded. I suppose it's just a case of wait and see eh? You getting nervous or excited yet?

Hi again. I did loads of research on Dr Chris as I wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing by going abroad for the surgery. I know that it can take a few fills to get the correct restriction but I know I shouldn't be able to eat the amount of food I could eat if I chose to. It's as if the band isn't there at all. I have a lot of weight to lose and I don't think I should be hitting a plateau already. Everyone is different, even those of us who have been banded. I suppose it's just a case of wait and see eh? You getting nervous or excited yet?

im very nervous hun,worried cause im staying in our touring caravan with hubby and my 2 kids,there dropping me off in hotel for the 3 days then im staying another night in caravan to rest befor e we drive home to northern ireland,i have a fear of needles so im very worried and excited at the same time:sad:

Hiya if it helps I have a fear of needles as well and I was fine. The only needles you encounter is the drip in the back of your hand and 2 blood tests. Why don't you visit www.ihateneedles.co.uk and buy some emla cream to apply to the back of your hand? It numbs it so you don't feel the needle going in. I asked for it but they didn't have any so best to buy your own if you want it and take it with you.

Hi.. I am due to have my op in Sheffield on 17th August with the WLS group, I have no idea though who is doing the surgery. Just think they seem like a decent company and there has been a lot of positive feedback about them. But now I have been on here, I am thinking of changing it to Belguim. I would save about £1000 but I was concerned about all the travelling after an operation.:thumbup:

Hi Sabina I flew from Scotland to brussels and had another hours journey before I got to the hotel. I would honestly say that Belgium is the better option as the hospital has a non existent rate of MRSA and is spotlessly clean. they are very thorough with your aftercare and travelling back for me was not a problem. My friend came with me but she flew back home to ireland from Brussels and I came home alone without any problems. I did ask for a seat belt extention on the plane because I was swollen but that was all the extra help I needed. Hope this helps you good luck

hi i'm laila, i wish to get banded but i live in london do u know any good surgeon around here?