Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Esophageal Spasms?

So I had my sleeve done 9/18 and for the last 3 days I've had an intense pain that comes and goes, right in the middle of my chest. It kinda feels like the worst heartburn ever, condensed into 10 second increments. Sometimes I get it while eating, sometimes while walking, and the last two nights its been so bad to wake me up.

I called the Dr. wondering if I was having acid reflux and he said it was probably just "esophageal spasms" and to take liquids slow and it should go away in a few days. Well I'm barely getting in 30oz of Clear Liquids as is, haven't even started full liquids yet because of this, so I'm very weak and tired from lack of calories and Protein.

Anyways - did anyone else have these spasms? Have you found any way to help relieve the pain, prevent them, etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I feel like I'm constantly having a heart attack over here (I'm 24 and my heart is fine so don't worry, I'm not lol).

Thanks!

I had my op on the 19th. I, too, have had what you're describing. Thankfully, they seem a little milder than yours. I, too, have trouble getting Water in - its like I have to wait for the vortex of Fluid that's created in my stomach to swirl its way down. Once it has, I have to inevitably burp up a bit of wind that makes me feel better. All I can say, is that I found that if I stretch my body upwards - so sit very upright and take slow deep breaths. Accompany it with gently rubbing my sternum up and down, it improves.

Although in saying that, I can't do it at night, so am currently getting a bit of disgusting heartburn and indigestion which is causing me great concern -as I do NOT want to be a GERD case.

I feel your pain. For what it's worth, I have found that i'm better taking in plain natural yoghurt in little tiny bits, as opposed to drinking clear fluids. I know every prescribed post-op diet is different, but give plain natural yoghurt a go... It'll boost your energy levels and may improve the spasms.

I wish you the best of luck. Let us know how you get on x

I am with Madam R - I used to put my hands up on my head if I felt the water/liquid wasn't going down and have a gentle stretch of my mid section!

Water is hard to drink on a new stomach - something to do with its molecular structure - so to break it up put a splash of something in it to break up the Water tension and make it easier to get down. Sounds silly but it does work. I struggled with plain water until I read that as a tip on this site :-)

I suffer from this way before I even had the sleeve ,I had lots of test ,The swallow test showed I had this and I was put on meds ...when I do get these spasms it's the sorest feeling in the world u think u are having a heart attacks ..They gave me nitro pills which really do help ask your dr

Thanks everyone! I've found that stretching upright or adjusting my posture really helps - It doesn't prevent them but can usually ease or even eliminate the pain once it's started. Just wish they'd go away so I could sleep better at night. Hopefully soon - thanks for your help :)