Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

will my brain catch up to my weight loss?

So far I have lost 54 pounds and couldn't be happier. But I don't see the difference and I am still buying the same size I wore before surgery. It looks too big for me but its my security blanket. Not sure if that made sense lol. I hope my brain catches up quick so I can truly enjoy this.

first off, congrats on 54lbs! that's wonderful! you must be feeling so good! but in regards to seeing a change ourselves, my best friend actually has lost about 60lbs in the last year and finally i couldn't take staring at her baggy jeans and i was like "kayla, you need to buy smaller jeans, you look like you're homeless". a lot of the times we don't notice the changes, it takes another persons perspective. maybe go into a store and try on different sizes and see which one you are most comfortable in? try thrift stores and consignment shops too so you're not spending a ton of money on clothes just to go down a size again in a couple of months. just don't look like you're homeless! haha.

Wow, 54lbs, that's awesome! I cant see how you don't see changes after 54lbs? Maybe take some pics and compare them with pics before the surgery. Seeing pics should show you the differences. Are people commenting on your loss? If they are then you have changed but your brain must be foggy and still seeing the "old" you in the mirror. Maybe its just hard for you to accept the changes. I don't know how I will feel after surgery when the weight is coming off. I am so used to being heavy I probably will still feel like a heavy person too!

first off' date=' congrats on 54lbs! that's wonderful! you must be feeling so good! but in regards to seeing a change ourselves, my best friend actually has lost about 60lbs in the last year and finally i couldn't take staring at her baggy jeans and i was like "kayla, you need to buy smaller jeans, you look like you're homeless". a lot of the times we don't notice the changes, it takes another persons perspective. maybe go into a store and try on different sizes and see which one you are most comfortable in? try thrift stores and consignment shops too so you're not spending a ton of money on clothes just to go down a size again in a couple of months. just don't look like you're homeless! haha.[/quote']

Yeah my hubby told me butt looks saggy in my jeans lol. I can't help it. I am so use to wearing that size lol.

Wow' date=' 54lbs, that's awesome! I cant see how you don't see changes after 54lbs? Maybe take some pics and compare them with pics before the surgery. Seeing pics should show you the differences. Are people commenting on your loss? If they are then you have changed but your brain must be foggy and still seeing the "old" you in the mirror. Maybe its just hard for you to accept the changes. I don't know how I will feel after surgery when the weight is coming off. I am so used to being heavy I probably will still feel like a heavy person too![/quote']

I think its because I lost it everywhere not just in one place.

I do the same. I've lost 90, but I look "the same" in my head. Aren't heads funny?

I do the same. I've lost 90' date=' but I look "the same" in my head. Aren't heads funny?[/quote']

I am jealous! 90 pounds is amazing. How long did it take you to lose the weight?

I am the same way. Ive lost 60lbs and just moved into the next size down. I had to wear a belt for everything but my security for pants is always stretch jeans. Im a 16 now but in regular jeans my thighs and butt have a a hard time fitting right (thank you child bearing hips). Stretch is your friend :) try some on and see what happens! Maybe they will make you feel better about what you wear. even when I reach goal a 14 will be pushing it so I know the number may not agree with what you think it should be but its how you rock what you have :)

I know what you mean when you say "security blanket". What I thinks going on is even though you weren't satisfied with your previous weight, you were used to it, and even though you're happy with your weight loss, your brain has a problem with adjusting to "change" whether its good or bad. And just like athchick said your brain must be foggy and still seeing the "old" you in the mirror. For some reason we can't see the change in the mirror,I look in the mirror everyday and I didn't see the weight come on, so I wont see it come off. I weigh 255lbs, but when I look in the mirror in my mind I don't look that bad. On the other hand if I see a picture of myself I'll go into to a deep depression, and start to feel like I weight 600lbs, and have to get the weight off by any means necessary. Yeah its crazy the way our minds works.

Amazing results so far...all of us understand the security blanket of keeping old clothes, buying the same size as before surgery.

The hardest obstacle is our minds. Free yourself from this and you'll be amazed by your results and will motivate you even more to continue loosing weight and knock down even more obstacles.