Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Women with polycystic ovarian syndrome ...

I DREAM of the days when all I had to do was pluck. Unfortunately, it got to the point where I was spending literally HOURS plucking every night, so I finally gave up and started shaving.

I use proactiv, and it does help, to an extent. Of course, birth control helped the most, but I can't take it for 30 days before surgery, so I am off of it for the near future (hoping to have surgery in early March at the latest).

I DREAM of the days when all I had to do was pluck. Unfortunately, it got to the point where I was spending literally HOURS plucking every night, so I finally gave up and started shaving.

I use to shave but the hair kept coming back way too fast and corse after I did it . In fact I think that is a reason why its so bad on my chin now because i shave. I carry tweezers and a razor in my purse. If i can pluck one or 2 if im going out in public i do . But if its too bad and I look last mintue and think " THAT"S NASTY I will shave . do you ever wonder if others notice it as much as you do ? I know that i notice it on others but its I think because I have the hair on my face. My 14 yr old has been known to tell me " mom you need to shave " UGHH .

I am going to see how much the laser treatment is. I think its around $900 . I think im going to start on it. I do know that between treatments you cant pluck you have to shave.

Mindy

I have PCOS too. The whole hair thing drives me crazy. UGH. Anyway I saw some news report lately (can't remember which show, sorry!) that PCOS is now sometimes being called Androgen excessive disorder. Apparently since not everyone with PCOS actually HAS the cysts, but all seem to have an excessive amount of the male hormone Androgen-hence the hairiness, weight gain in the stomach area, fertility issues, male pattern baldness etc etc.... they feel it's a more appropriate name for it.

Anywhoo that was my biggest worry when I was banded- that because of PCOS I would not lose weight. I have lost over 30 lbs already though. The loss is slowing down now to about 2 lbs a week. The key has been getting that Protein in, and the Water too, I think. No one has really noticed the weight loss yet or at least they haven't mentioned it- but someone last week said my skin looked like it was "glowing" and I attribute that to my Water intake....but I've always had such horrible skin issues that they had no idea how much they made my day!

I have learned that many docs do not even " believe " in PCOS . .

Some docs just do not either think to look at PCOS or dont want to . I think its better now than it was 10 yrs ago .

Mindy

this is so true, I was diagnosed by my fertility doctor at age 22.... 15 years ago.... he was the director of reproductive medicine... he didn't diagnose me until I had a vaginal sonogram and he saw all the cysts on my ovaries... my general PCP had never even heard of it.... either had the endocrinologist.... even though the fertility doctor knew enough to diagnose at the time there wasn't any cure, help or advice he could give me.. he just told me that it was just my body type...... my point is.. more and more docs are learning about it.. but those that don't read up on NEW finding or allow themselves to believe new fangled theories.... are just left in the dark.. because although they are doctors they are merely human.

this is so true, I was diagnosed by my fertility doctor at age 22.... 15 years ago.... he was the director of reproductive medicine... he didn't diagnose me until I had a vaginal sonogram and he saw all the cysts on my ovaries... my general PCP had never even heard of it.... either had the endocrinologist.... even though the fertility doctor knew enough to diagnose at the time there wasn't any cure, help or advice he could give me.. he just told me that it was just my body type...... my point is.. more and more docs are learning about it.. but those that don't read up on NEW finding or allow themselves to believe new fangled theories.... are just left in the dark.. because although they are doctors they are merely human.

I also think alot of docs assume " PCOS means you always have cysts on your ovaries" that's not the case either. Like you i was diagnoed after a vaginal ultrasound from being in so much pain during a period. they thought I had a tubal pregnancy , the sono found 125-200 cysts on each ovary .

the next time i had a sono there were no cysts , so the doc said its not PCOS. Sometimes its up to the patient to educate the doc

Mindy

Apparently since not everyone with PCOS actually HAS the cysts, but all seem to have an excessive amount of the male hormone Androgen-hence the hairiness, weight gain in the stomach area, fertility issues, male pattern baldness etc etc.... they feel it's a more appropriate name for it.
That's true. I don't have any cysts, or at least none they could find with a pelvic exam. Of course, I live in a small town, so they didn't have access to a vaginal ultrasound machine.

its funny because the cysts do come and go... that is why they keep you from ovulating... (they stunt the growth of your follicles so that you can never pop out a mature egg).........

I have PCOS too and had lapband surgery July 06. I have lost 37 lbs. I am very happy with my progress and even though I am at a plateau, I know it will not go up and soon will go down again. The hair has not decreased with weight loss, but my periods are getting regular. Three months after surgery I had to get cut open 8 inches to remove a cyst that grew after surgery from an orange to a watermellon (27cm) it went up to my ribcage! Apparently surgery can trigger cyst growth, eww. I lost a ovary too. I am happy now with the band though and glad to have had my third in a row, totally normal period.

I am also looking into laser hair removal. One of my employees has PCOS and laser is working great for her on her face. Good luck to us all!

Someone mentioned Migraines and the pill (estrogen).... I was getting terrible migraines and eliminated Soy in my diet (natural source of Estrogen) and sodium nitrate (common meat preservative and carcinogen) and the migraines are gone! email me if you want more info, I had the kind of ocular migraines with auras.

Fat stores estrogen, so us being overweight makes it most likely we are all suffering from estrogen dominance. PCOS symptoms can be agrivated by that dominance. Losing weight may help your headaches.

Someone mentioned Migraines and the pill (estrogen).... I was getting terrible migraines and eliminated Soy in my diet (natural source of Estrogen) and sodium nitrate (common meat preservative and carcinogen) and the migraines are gone! email me if you want more info, I had the kind of ocular migraines with auras.

Fat stores estrogen, so us being overweight makes it most likely we are all suffering from estrogen dominance. PCOS symptoms can be agrivated by that dominance. Losing weight may help your headaches.

I have had migraines for 20 yrs ( since i was 11) and mine are a combination of triggers. Sodium nitrate is also a name for MSG , MSG is one of the worse things for migraines. However its not just in meat, its in EVERYTHING.

I try to stay away from anything processed . Fast food is almost not a part of my life , with a few exceptions like Arby's and Chick Fila .

A full meal of Chinese food yrs ago when they contained "Full" amounts of MSG would put me in the hospital . NOW they say its MSG free, but its still in there just under a different name. Legaly they can get away with it. Soy can be a trigger because alot of soy produts contain some form of MSG.

Soy is also a trigger for me as well as, tomatoes, and so many other things i would have to eat Cardboard to elimate them all from my diet

Hormonal imbalances are another cause of my migraines. Off my preventative meds I get migraines 5-7 times a week and have since i was 11. on my meds 3-4 times a month. I also get migraines with aura which increases my likelyhood of a stroke . If you have elimated those 2 things and you no longer have migraines count yourself lucky. I have tried everything with the exception of cutting my left finger off ( and if i thought that would help I woudl do that ) and nothing has helped . Most ppl who have true migraines do not ever have them go away .

I dont think loosing the weight will do anything for my migraines , Ive been overwt for 7 yrs , prior to that I was 110-140lbs and they were still the same. I wish for me it was as easy as eliminating a few things. Mine are dibilitating and if I wasnt a stay at home mom would probbaly have to be on disability due to them.

Thanks for your input , im glad you had something that helped your migraines though .

Mindy

I feel like its a new discovery- I looked up PCOS- I have it- MILD but i have it!! Why the OB/GYN, Endocrinologist has never diagnosed it Im not sure.

I have had 20 childless years- blamed on hypothyroid. I guess since I do not have all the symptoms? I had the irregular menses, have MILD facial fuzz, migranes, infertility, mid-body weight loss, ovarian cysts, acne- dx rocesea, anxiety.

So that explains why I have the band and am having a TOUGH time loosing weight!!!!!

So now what? How do I get this weight off?!!

PCOS Is symtpomatic, if you have the symptoms you have PCOS .

The best thing to do is go to an endocronologist , they will have the best advice for you . Find one that either specialiazes in PCOS or knows alot about it. You can get on Glucephage ( a diabetes med) it might help with your weight loss.

Also Low carb diets tend to help PCOS sister loose wt because eliminating the carbs helps to stabalize your insulin levels.

Here are a few websites that might help out

http://www.austinpcos.org/

This site has ALOT Of info on it

http://www.soulcysters.com/weight_loss.html

HTH

Mindy

I made some calls today about Laser hair removal ... I found something quite interesting. At least here in Austin the Plastic surgeon's offices and the doctors offices were actually cheaper than those " Strip " mall center places that are around. About $100 a treatment cheaper for lip,chin and neck.

So if your looking into it and you think its too expensive look into some docs offices, my ob's office does it as well

HTH

Mindy

hi again!

Definately I have had the best luck loosing weight with PCOS and the band by eating a low carb diet. I try to stay inder 40 carbs a day. When I am really strict, I loose. Even when I am good, it is hard to loose.

Having PCOS means that we are insulin resistant. That is why we gained it, and why eating low carb will help us loose it.

Info for anyone interested about these Migraine & headache triggers:

MSG- Monosodium Glutimate is a food addative for flavor. It is mostly added to Chinese food and is often a ingredient in salad dressings, canned Soups, flavored potato chips, watch out if you get headaches MSG is in a lot of foods!

Sodium Nitrate is a meat preservative used most often in processed meat with pork in it. It is added to keep meat pink and resist Botulism. It is found ONLY in processed meat products or foods made with meat products. Ham, bacon, sausage, pepperoni, lunchmeat, hot dogs, all have it. Not only is it one of the leading triggers for Migraines, it additionally can mix with something in our digestive juices that can lead to colon cancer. People that eat processed meats are 67% more likely to get colon cancer than people that eat little to none. Even the FDA tried to ban its use in the 70's. I believe it is a terrible poison that is being eaten in huge quantities by poorer communities that are not educated about these things, and can only afford cheap foods like hot dogs for their kids. Very sad! I encourage everyone I love to not eat that stuff headaches or not!

Great foods I found:

Safeway Soups that they make (with the exception of split pea) are generally made with no MSG or Nitrates. Their Deli has a lunchmeat called Primo Taglio, the roast beef from that brand does not have nitrates. Also, Trader Joes carries sausage and bacon with no preservatives or nitrates and soups with neither MSG or nitrates. Trader Joes has so many great low carb foods that I buy there and preservative free. Sorry to ramble on like this, obviously I feel passionate about getting this message out.

Re Migraines:

Mindy, only those of us that have real migraines understand the pain of it. I wish they were gone totally, I still have them sometimes. I was successfull in decreasing them almost to never with the diet changes I already mentioned in my last post on this thread. I have so much sympathy for you, I hope you can find some relief, it is so debilitating to have them!

All I can say is WOW!! this site neves seizes to amaze me... I too, have been diagnosed with PCOD..Mines was diagnosed by a med student at a medical center here in 1999. I was trying to concieve my 2nd child (I was told my first was a miracle baby...she's 11 now..) I tried every medicine available.(nothing drastic because of my personal beliefs) ..Finally, with about 1,200 miligrams of metformin day (it took a year to figure out the meds and doses)... I concieved..My son is now 4. I too suffer from the excess hair..EVERYWHERE except my head!!!!! Hair loss in the worst part (the FRONT)...and the headaches!!! Holy sh... the headaches...Now how weird is the fact that I just started drinking soy milk...I haven't gotten a headache though...Thank GOD! My last one was about 3 weeks ago (pre-soy) and I was in bed for 4 days... I do believe the healthier diet has A LOT to do with keeping them away...Still amazed...I think of a question or topic...and I find adiscussion...I LOVE THIS SITE!!!

hi again!

Definately I have had the best luck loosing weight with PCOS and the band by eating a low carb diet. I try to stay inder 40 carbs a day. When I am really strict, I loose. Even when I am good, it is hard to loose.

Having PCOS means that we are insulin resistant. That is why we gained it, and why eating low carb will help us loose it.

Info for anyone interested about these Migraine & headache triggers:

MSG- Monosodium Glutimate is a food addative for flavor. It is mostly added to Chinese food and is often a ingredient in salad dressings, canned Soups, flavored potato chips, watch out if you get headaches MSG is in a lot of foods!

Re Migraines:

Mindy, only those of us that have real Migraines understand the pain of it. I wish they were gone totally, I still have them sometimes. I was successfull in decreasing them almost to never with the diet changes I already mentioned in my last post on this thread. I have so much sympathy for you, I hope you can find some relief, it is so debilitating to have them!

Thanks , The problem with MSG is that its under SO many names. I wish the goverment would do something about it . Regulate . That's how chinese food resturants can get away with saying " NO MSG " its because they have MSG its just in the food under a different name. So if you do not know that its under 20 other names and ask " Do you have MSG in your food" they say no you assume its safe and its not "

The best thing I have done is to try to stay away from the inner isles of the grocery store. that is the best way to avoid preservatives.

But nothing works 100% for me .

Mindy