Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Voellinger

Hi guys, tired of being fat....yeah, men get tired of it too. Also tired of waiting on penurious BCBS of NC to get off their fat duffs and admit that the LAP-BAND is more than an "investigational" tool. Sooo, this week, after waiting three long years for BCBS to come around I gave up, waved a chicken wing in the air, admitted to myself that I must either take my chance on several co-morbitities or self-pay. The self-pay won out. I called Dr. Voellinger's office, they faxed the "packet" I filled it out, attached my $150 "processing fee" and stuck it in the mailbox. Flashback three years to the fall of '04, I filled out all the paperwork, was accepted, went to the meeting, and then had an appt. with Dr. V. He accepted me and scheduled me for the other tests. Then I found out he'd only done 7 LAP-BANDS and BCBS wouldn't pay for a penny of it. So I decided to wait. What I need to know now is what's your opinion of Dr. V? I thought he was fine back then but there must be many of you who have had ABG surgery by him by now. Is it Dr. V. or should I research Dr. Bauman up north. I live in south Charlotte so Dr. Bauman is automatically my second choice unless there's a reason....skills or big $$. Thanks, JB

I think Dr V is the best! His personl care is wonderful. His staff is wonderful. I have heard from other patients about other Dr's in the area. By far Dr.V wins with his staff and personal attention to you. He listens to you and when you need a fill. His office has WLS staff so they know where you are coming from.

If you'd like to PM me I would be more than happy to talk to you more about him and his staff.

Sorry you have to go self pay BCBS sure are dudds.

Good luck, We also have monthly meetings that would be great to have you come to. Most of us NC hang out at band2gether.net hpowever I always come her also.

I just had a lap band put over my failed gastric bypass. Dr Volinger is wonderful. He did NOT do my orig. sugery...I wish he had. He is so easy to speak to and his staff is tops. I honestly feel that his staff will be instrumental in keeping me on track. I did not have this support with my last surgeon. You made a GREAT decision.

Welcome to the NC thread... to pm, click on the person's name you want to message and pick the send private message option in the drop down that comes up. Oh and we have a Charlotte meeting once a month of lapbanders from most every doc around here. Feb 3rd at red robin on Harris...

Check with Dr. Voellinger if I am correct bcbs of nc will now approve the Lap Band as of info. received on yesterday. I went to a seminar on Monday and Dr. V has done 78 Lapbands to date. He and his staff are great they seem to be very interested in your success. There are a few of his staff that has had weight loss surgery.

Good Luck. :)

Check with Dr. Voellinger if I am correct bcbs of nc will now approve the Lap Band as of info. received on yesterday. I went to a seminar on Monday and Dr. V has done 78 Lapbands to date. He and his staff are great they seem to be very interested in your success. There are a few of his staff that has had weight loss surgery.

Good Luck. :rose:

I was at the meeting Monday night. I thought he said BCBS was NOT paying for lap band surgery as of that date but that he had heard they might possibly if you file a couple of appeals. Has something changed since then? Hope so! JB

Yes something changes just this week and they now do cover it.

I hope you'll be able to meet us on Saturday fr our monthly get together it's a lot of fun and educational.

Yes something changes just this week and they now do cover it. I hope you'll be able to meet us on Saturday fr our monthly get together it's a lot of fun and educational.

Wow, that's wonderful news. I have THREE calls into the gal I've dealt with at BCBSNC in the past. THREE calls over two weeks. She has not had the courtesty to call and say yes, no, we're working on it or even kiss my grits. Monday, I'm calling until I get a live body.

I don't know anything about the support meetings. Did I see on Dr. V's list that I must attend one before surgery? Is there a support group of just bandsters or is it a mix of folks who have had various types of WLS? JB

I am also a Dr. V patient. . . I am currently going through all the insurance stuff right now. I have finished everything else with Dr. V's office. I have to say, I am very impressed with the whole office. Dr. V and his staff really give you all the tools to be successfull in the long run. I have never met more caring people. Everytime I talk to some one there I am more and more impressed. I can't wait for my approval and to get on with my surgery so I can be the healthiest I can be!

Stacey

Charlotte, NC

I am also a Dr. V patient. . . I am currently going through all the insurance stuff right now. I have finished everything else with Dr. V's office. I have to say, I am very impressed with the whole office. Dr. V and his staff really give you all the tools to be successfull in the long run. I have never met more caring people. Everytime I talk to some one there I am more and more impressed. I can't wait for my approval and to get on with my surgery so I can be the healthiest I can be!

Stacey

Charlotte, NC

Stacey, we may cross paths there someday. I, too, live in Charlotte and am a patient of Dr. V. I had my evaluations the other day. Yes, all nice people. I had an appointment with Dr. V. and he approved me for lap band three years ago. I liked him at the time but the insurance was a no go back then and he had only done 7 lap bands. I put it off, next thing you know, it's been three years. I'm back on track, self pay or ins. either way. As of a couple weeks ago, BCBS has begun paying for lap band in NC. I have the new policy straight from the horse's...well, one end of the horse, not sure which. I did find out why they didn't return my calls....the lady I was calling was in a bad car accident. I've talked to a VERY nice lady since and she is really helpful. I have a letter from my PCP and my sleep apnea Dr. supporting my surgery. I see Dr. V on March 2nd. Do you have a surgery date? John B.

Stacey, we may cross paths there someday. I, too, live in Charlotte and am a patient of Dr. V. I had my evaluations the other day. Yes, all nice people. I had an appointment with Dr. V. and he approved me for lap band three years ago. I liked him at the time but the insurance was a no go back then and he had only done 7 lap bands. I put it off, next thing you know, it's been three years. I'm back on track, self pay or ins. either way. As of a couple weeks ago, BCBS has begun paying for lap band in NC. I have the new policy straight from the horse's...well, one end of the horse, not sure which. I did find out why they didn't return my calls....the lady I was calling was in a bad car accident. I've talked to a VERY nice lady since and she is really helpful. I have a letter from my PCP and my sleep apnea Dr. supporting my surgery. I see Dr. V on March 2nd. Do you have a surgery date? John B.

I don't have a date yet. Hopefully we will know something soon