Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2007 Bandsters

Pam..

Okay heres the question for anyone. What is the amount we are supposed to eat? Half a cup for the whole meal or half a cup of Protein and half for veg etc. I am scared to eat to much so have been sticking to half a cup.

Okay here is "MY" answer; don't know if it politically correct. This is how I am eating.

I, 30 minutes before I eat drink 23 ounces of flavored water ( i live in a desert and drink alot of water). Then I sit to eat and I eat until I AM NOT HUNGRY ANYMORE, (not until I am full) so you really have to concentrate on what you are eating and what your satisfied feeling is. But I think I am 19 days post op suppose to be eating 1/2 cup every 3-4 hours or so. Then I wait as long as I can (1 hour is my personal goal) to drink again, and I usually can tell that there is still food in my pouch and at that point I know I am "washing it" through the band.

I will go home tonight and if this answer is much different than what the doctors paperwork says I will repost.

But! If I was hungry for chocolate I would take a candy bar and divide it in 1/8ths and eat 1 section per day, if that made me happy. I say this because in the whole life story (figuratively speaking) I can't imagine depriving myself of something I love for the rest of my life; thus moderation is the key to all healthy relationships, including chocolate.

We all got the band so we could eat like a skinny / healthy person, so they eat chocolate, they just eat it in moderation.

Tell me if you think I am that "off base".

1/2 cup is total. That is why they want you to start with Protein and go from there. Your pouch isn't any larger than than. You don't want to dialate (stretch) it. My drs. office has a nutritionist that tells you all that stuff and then send us home with written info galore.

1/2 cup is total. That is why they want you to start with Protein and go from there. Your pouch isn't any larger than than. You don't want to dialate (stretch) it. My drs. office has a nutritionist that tells you all that stuff and then send us home with written info galore.

Tammy says 3/4 of a cup. (I like the 3/4 of a cup theory)

I get sooooo confused (seriously~no joking) from reading the propaganda from dr's office and these threads.

Pam

I ate ground beef and a little cooked onion today. I mushed it up pretty good. No PB, it was so good. I find that I need to chew as much as I need to swallow!!

I will let you know what Dr. G says. Official weigh in tomorrow!

I meant to tell you thank you for thinking of me on the flowers, you know you didn't have to do anything like that.

Remember the gal I told you about with the bouncing/jumping party thing. Well she never made it up to see me either. She went into the hospital on Tuesday and was in till Saturday. She had the RNY. This is the second time she has become very ill. She is having a problem with a very bad ulcer. She had her surgery 5 yrs ago and has not gained any weight back. She is about a size 7/8 I think. Her name is Marlene and she is still planning on calling you. She emailed me what happened and said she hadn't called you yet.

Me

Tammy..

LOL LOL noooo...that is my band talking about the salmon!! I am on creamed Soups and yogart and I think I can start a smothie today. I just want to know how much to eat when I do get to eat. Sounds like you are doing super!!

I've been craving tuna, so I made this creamed tuna Soup. I'm sure it would work for salmon:

Melt 2 TBS butter

Add 2 TBS flour and stir until thickened

Then 1.5 cups of milk and wisk

Add 1-4 oz can tuna (or salmon) and stir until thick

Puree in blender

I also added onion powder and pepper and dill to taste. Makes 2 8oz servings. With tuna calories=258 and protein=22grams. It's really yummy!

Well, I did it. Banded on the 12th. Everything went as planned with the exception that I had a little hernia that they fixed for me.

So far I have had ZERO and I mean ZERO hunger. I am still on liquids so am doing boost/optifast and "milked down" cream Soups occasionally. I am finding it difficult to get enough calories in because I am NOT HUNGRY!

I am finally eating to live not living to eat. I am praying that this feeling continues forever! (or at least until I can get a fill). Even last night when my family was eating delicious smelling pizza and I had to cut some up for my son to eat I did not feel the urge to eat any. I am looking forward to someday being able to have a small bite of at least the toppings but the knowledge that at some time I would be able to was enough for me. I didn't feel deprived or missing out at all the yummy smells didn't even make me hungry.

I had a few issues at the place I stayed in Missiaugo, ON "heritage house" and while I would recommend it to other I would suggest that anyone going there be very clear about what they expect will happen regarding transportion and medication dispensing as well as the costs. At the end of the day I was glad I went there but it was not seamless.

I am to stay on liquids for one more week and then graduate to mushies. I am not seeing a "band doctor" until it is time for my 6 week check up because there is not one close to me. I am on my own to moniter my ability to graduate to different foods. I am going to err on the side of caution however because it sounds like PB ing is AWFUL and I am deparately afraid of slipping my band. I LOVE NOT BEING HUNGRY and am not going to do anything to jeopardize that.

Congratulations! I was hoping we'd hear from you. Glad everything went well. I'm loving that I'm not hungry and my calories are averaging 900 per day! Isn't this wonderful?

Hi!! I'm home from getting my band! Checked in at 10:45, had my surgery at 1:15 and was ready to go home by 5:45. No gas pains as of yet (knock on wood that it stays that way), I just feel like I've done 10 million situps. My port hurts the worst of anything. :(

I thought it was funny when they took me to radiology they had me drink the barrium from a straw. lol ...then he says try and burp because there looks to be some gas. I'm so glad to be home.

Congrats momlabert and to other 3/19 bandsters.

Time for a pill :P

Had surgery about 7:30 this morning. Now it's 1:20 and I'm ready for a nap at my house with my new sheets and clean bedroom and the windows flung open with fresh air coming in (plus an arm/shoulder massage from my very DH). Drinking some broth with the loritab. Not much pain--more like pressure in my chest when I have to breathe deep, which the dr. and nurse said I need to do a lot of because my oxygen was a little low.

Surgery took about 1 1/2 hours because they had to repair a hiatal hernia that I didn't know I had plus there was some scar tissue to work around from previous surgery (hysterectomy most likely).

Ready for dreamland. Will get back to you later. Thanks for your positive vibes, prayers, and good wishes. I'm thrilled! I made it and will be anxious to hear about my bandsisters. Karen

Congratulations! Glad to hear the surgery went well.

I get sooooo confused (seriously~no joking) from reading the propaganda from dr's office and these threads.

Did you recieve a booklet that was for post-op? I got two. They look alike. One is for post-op. The front cover has a womans picture and it says "I can succeed." They actually look just alike. I got one post op and the other in my pre op info folder. The booklet is by "Inamed Health," the company that makes the band. That might really scare ya, I am sitting here reading this sentence..Your stomach can only hold 1/4 cup of food ( or 2 oz.)at one time. Eat 3 small meals. It is page 2 of the booklet. I am assuming they are talking about right after surgery. It also says it is very important the first few weeks to avoid putting pressure on the new stomach above the band. If you have an Inamed Band your doctor's office will have this booklet. It is very informative. But as always follow your doctors orders to take care of the band. I am still post-op liquids. But not after Wed. I get mushies, purees, pudding, yogurt, hot cereals, ect. I am looking forward to it too. Good Luck.

Gail;

So did you puree it or just chew chew chew chew? How much do you eat at one time?

You love beef don't you? I rarely rarely eat beef, I just don't like the flavor~it is from when I was a kid and ate some beef that went bad.

Have you ever tried turkey or chicken?

I don't really like pureed food, reminds me of something I don't want to think about.

I think I have a stomach virus (maybe the Water in San Diego), no fever or anything and I am not really concerned but can't leave the bathroom area. I have had two accidents without any warning, and just feeling really tired. I am drinking alot of water to keep my hydrated. It is not bad enough to take away my appetite.

I ate some Peanut Butter and a couple bites of cottage cheese to help bind things up.

Gail

I would have never done the gastric bypass as a health andedote. If it were not for the band break through I would still be struggling with diet after diet after diet.

I hope your friend gets better and hopefully never has anymore gastric bypass complication. Bummer!

What cost will each one of us pay to be a size 7/8. We are desperate aren't we....

I just can't believe how good I feel. Wow. Who would have thought? Have some pressure in my chest probably from the hernia repair and the gas but not sure. Walking and using wimpy heating pad--I ordered a new heating pad and it doesn't get hot enough and turns off after 2 hours. Argh.

So far today I have had 2 c. of Water, 3 c. of bouillion (2 organic chicken and 1 beef Better-than-Boullion) and two 3-oz of Protica (strongly diluted in water--25 g Protein each!). Everything is clear--can't have non-clear liquids until Saturday and then can have full liquids. I'm not hungry and am feeling really good nutrionally and physically.

I had two 3-hour naps today--probably would have slept longer but the loritab (have had two doses since coming home) wore off and the heating pad cooled off. Watching my Ti-vo'd shows while reporting to you while sitting in a chair with my feet up. i walk around the house between naps and do have to do two flights of stairs to come from my bedroom to the tv room.

DH has been wonderful--bless his heart. There for my every beck and call. So sweet and concerned. I'm grateful.

I feel like I may have a slight fever tonight but i think that usually happens after surgery and is not a problem unless it goes over 101.5, according to dr.

life is good! Thanks for your support--I don't know what I would have done without this board. You are all awesome. Karen

Don't want to confuse you more--I do think we need to carefully understand our doctor's orders.

But, FYI, my dr. says 2/3 c. of food 3 times a day and a small evening snack if necessary.

Clear liquid only (not anything you can't see through at room temperature) for 5 days.

Full liquids two days. Non-clear Protein Drinks, carrot juice, etc.

Strained foods for four weeks. 'YOUR TEETH ARE NOT A BLENDER!!!!!" All food must be put in blender or strainer.

One month of the healing diet (soft foods like mashed potatoes, cream of wheat, etc. with chicken and other chewies being pureed still).

Then regular food chewed carefully, stopping when satisfied and not eating one bite beyond that.

LIquids after liquid diet: Lots of liquids up until first bite of food. NO liquids for two hours after eating. My dr. says this one thing is the greatest cause of failing to lose weight--drinking during meals and then not waiting to drink for two hours after meal.

Anyway, FYI. My dr. didn't have a pre-op diet but is VERY strict on the post-surgery diet. I'm so committed to his orders (at least at this point!).