Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovery question redux

Ok, I know I keep throwing out variations on this question over time but today needs some input, fast.

I have made my mind up with cross fit to do 3 days on and 1 day off approach to give my body a chance to recover in terms of training for next summer. I do not think I can do 6 days a week of training yet (have not tried) and all my research online as well as asking around my box indicates 3 on and 1 off is a good idea.

Yesterday's WOD drained me yet again in the evening (did the Joshua). However, this morning I am feeling fairly decent albeit a little sore (nothing like last night).

Today WOD is all about running. Fast running. The idea is to push to run fast 1 mile sprints 3x with 3 minute recovery in between. It is my first running WOD. No lifting.

Given my history of running, I believe I can do this. And even do well at it. Minimum time is 12 minutes. However, I think I can get sub 6 minutes if I really kill it to the point of exhaustion and lack of oxygen in the muscles. I will do what I can to refuel in that 3 minutes if it would help. Do you think chomping on a couple energy squares would help or hinder before a 1 mile sprint or would sipping on bcaa be better? I wish I knew the answer.

Am I going to regret doing this WOD given today is supposed to be my rest day? Do not know.

Here is the description of it:

"

Thursday September 19th, 2013:

Every 12 minutes for 36 minutes (3 sets) of:

Run 1 Mile (1600 Meters) as quickly as possible.

Each set should be a max effort. I don’t want to see that you can pace, I want to see that you can bust your ass, and then repeat the effort. There will be drop-off…I want to see (and want you to see) what that drop-off looks like. I also want to see you PR your timed mile…at least once. :)

Please don’t make me say that you’ll be dead to me if you don’t complete this. I would like to believe that saying it once underscored my desire for you to accept uncomfortable training sessions, to embrace training in a way that might be unfamiliar and highlight weaknesses. Our community has come to love the barbell – which is awesome – but we cannot forget that to succeed in this sport you must have a huge aerobic base and exorbitant mental fortitude. Get to the gym and get after it.

If your mile time is longer than 12 minutes - write your time down, wait until the next minute, and go for it!

"

Most people at my box do the 3 on and 1 off . And they are usually off Thursdays. However, from the description, it sounds like we should be in the box today. I feel a little guilty about not being there (per comment "dead to me").

Please help me out with your thoughts.

Wow Fiddleman, that sure is some workout. I think your plan for rest days and recovery is better than 6 days in a row. I don't have anywhere near the stamina or fitness you are at, but I have competed in two events which were a 100mile cycle and a triathlon. At the time I was weighing close to 300lbs. In both I did not feel any difference when I had an energy shot or even ate anything. I think I was just pushing towards exhaustion. On the 100 mile cycle on the last 20miles I had a bar with like coconut oil, dates, Protein Powder, macadamia nuts but I cannot 100% say that helped me to finish my race any stronger than I would've without it... Although my finish was solid. My triathlon less so but I am weaker at running than the other two disciplines so no amount of sustenance would have made me any faster. Sorry I know this is not much help in response to your question.

Should I do this running WOD today?

Yes I think go for it :)... When will your next rest day be?

Next rest day is Sunday.

Next rest day is Sunday.

Yes, I don't think a 'bit' of cardio will do you harm. I also think you really want to go, so I guess don't end up regretting it.... But be strict on Sunday and completely rest and recover!! Have one of shakes after, I'm sure you've planned that too :)

Thanks for your advice and support! I do really want to do it and will report back results later tonight.

Fiddle, off topic, but very curious how long it took you to feel like you were in pretty good shape? I'm 5 weeks PO and literally dying at the gym. Kind of surprised me at how out of shape I actually am! Even Couch to 5K is kicking my butt!

It was about 5.5 months when I felt pretty good about running (started running about a month before). It was about 10 months when I felt pretty good about general fitness (started cross fit about 3 months before 2x a week, @home fitness 3x a week). My 1 year post op was July 2nd 2013. At 5 weeks I was walking with some hiking.

Ah good to hear, I'm doing hiking and walking too. Thank you very much for the info! Love all you posts. You're my fitness hero on here!

So how was it?

Fiddleman, I absolutely love reading you post. You're truly an inspiration to us new sleevers. I definitely hope to have the mindset you do at the year mark.

I want to do so much right now (3 1/2 weeks post op) but have to remember to take it easy now and once fully recovered dive right in. I've always been athletic and really loved working out even at my heaviest weight (417). I can't wait to get started and finally start seeing the results I longed for. I currently walk 3 miles a day 5 days a week and started to speed walk this week. I can't wait to start Insanity and work my way up to cross fit.

Thanks again for the inspiration!!

BTW..I would definitely do the run you posted if I was in your shoes.

Sounds awesome fiddle. I'd go for it. Seriously....I wish I was there. By the third mile I think I just might take you. :)

But I don't think the energy squares in between will do much good. I believe 3 minutes is just not enough time for food to pass from sleeve to intestine to blood stream. I would just fuel up before the workout and stay hydrated in between miles.

Good luck bro.

Just got back from my workout. It was awesome!

Mile 1: warmup (also did the usual cross fit warmup up pull-ups, sit-ups, push ups, lunges, etc)

About 30 min of mobility. Longer then normal. I wanted to make sure hamstrings, gluts and IT bands were good and stretched.

Mile 2: 5:15

Mile 3: 5:59

Mile 4: 6:20

I killed it.

Best times in the cross fit class (about 25 people) according to the board by over a minute. My coach ran mile 2 and 3 with me and I came in 30 seconds faster then her. Shocked me. I think it was only because I was throwing myself forward instead of running with perfect form and making my strides as long as possible. My breathing at the last 400 m of each mile sounded like labor (another coach told me breathing fast was better when running as hard as you can). Lol.

And I felt invigorated afterwards. A little out of breath after mile 4 for 10-15 seconds, but I seemed to be radiating with clean energy. I really surprised I did not throw up afterwards. I honestly thought this workout would do it to me.

I honestly did not know I could run that fast outside on the pavement. 1/2 of each mile was on a little incline. Good on the down, but oh so unpleasant on the up, especially because the up was at the end of each mile.

Update (3 hours later): endorphins are wearing off and I feel the tiredness and general aching all around. Hope my body bounces back overnight for tomorrow's WOD. I usually do a lot to assist recovery: contrast showers, rolling, long mobility sessions, quality sleep, high dose fish oil, bcaa drinks, recovery drinks (shake and electrolyte), creatine, glutamine and Vitamins. Crossing fingers.