Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do u deal with stress??

Now that after a year I'm in a good routine and would call myself a "runner", physically and emotionally, I really NEED to run. I need hard aerobic exercise, it makes me calmer, more positive and it really works out crankiness, stress and that general feeling I get of being pissed off with the world in general after a day spent with the kids, lol.

It is so therapeutic, I just want to tell everybody that working cardiovascularly that bit harder than walking to get that real "runners high" will bring rewards you just cant imagine if you think of exercise as just being hard slog.

I hadnt been for a few days and have just had a run now, I was getting really cranky about it, and now I just feel so much better.

You guys are ALL so great!

I really do appreciate all your encouragemnt. I think I may be coming around, slowly but surely.

Lila, what you said about blaming yourself I can totally relate too. I keep running over and over in my head. Was it the time I yelled at her before school? or Was it the time I was too busy talking on the phone? etc, etc...I keep re-living all the things I can remember that I wish I did different, thinking maybe that's why she's doing this.

I am thinking this 'teenage thing' is kinda like childbirth. Everyone tells you how hard it will be, then when labour starts you think, it couldnt possibly be this painful. I just thought out of all my kids, this one would have been the last that I thought would do this.

So, I'm slowly climbing out of this hole. It is definatley a 'guilt thing', that my husband dosent feel. He dosent like the situation, but he has no guilt.

Thank-you to everyone, HONESTLY, it really helps to talk, and I would hope to be able to re-pay the favour anytime in the future.

So, relating this to the band......if this had of happened last year, I would be in a food coma right now. I would weight about 10 lbs more, and I would be deeper in the hole.

So, alas, I LOVE MY BAND.......and you guys!!

What good advice and so much compasion you have recieved!

I didnt see where anybody had mentioned as the Beatles song goes "Mothers Little Helpers". I have what my husband calls chill pills. It really helps . If something happens and I want to SCREAM I know they are there and just the thought relaxes me. I'm an example of that experiment with the bell and the dog. Ring the bell feed the dog. Ring the bell the dog starts drooling.

I'm not embarrassed to say I need my "Mothers Little Helpers" to help with stress.

In 2006 I maybe took 15. Those pills in my cabinet were my ringing bell.

edie

HI cloe,

I have been reading about your problems with your daughter with a lot of empathy. I have 2 teens and a pre-teen at home and we never know when the next bombshell will be dropped. I have been going through some pretty deep personal revelations about my inability to deal with stress without being able to eat huge quantities of food. I never realized how much I have relied on food to get me through things.

I have been trying to stick to a routine of sorts. I also have tried to add a few small goals each day, such as cleaning a drawer or doing one thing for myself. Chatting with other banded people also helps.

I would like to get some psych help with this, but don't know how to find a therapist who could help. I went to one once for another problem and the therapist was useless. Anyone got any ideas?

Nancy, I asked my doc if there was a parent help-line or something, where yo can call to get you over the hump. She said not anymore, gov cut-backs, geesh.

Ya some therapists just make the situation worse I think, then they guilt you into feeling you can't leave, like a cult!! lol

I just think they should make teenagehood against the law! That would do it!!

Good Luck to you!!!!!

Hey Cloe....at the very least, hopefully your other kids are "learning" from this experience!

Cloe,

I am in rural Peterborough area and we have a Family youth crisis centre at our hospital for families in crisis. We are taking our son there after his antidepressants start to kick in. I know all about the blame stuff. He is working it on us for all he is worth too. What I need is head stuff for my weight loss and stress issues. Dr. Cobourn was online on his website last night and he told me they have counselling that can be arranged through his office if needed, so I will try that route. My husband is the same as yours. Doesn't feel any guilt. So we need to look at who owns the problem in the situation and deal with it. It is very hard to separate out all the issues when it is your child. Hang in there and enjoy one moment at a time.

Cloe,

Dr. Cobourn was online on his website last night and he told me they have counselling that can be arranged through his office if needed, so I will try that route.

Oh Man, Dr. C goes on his website!!! I didnt know that, how cool. When does he go on, any particular time???? Your talking about 'the surgical weight loss forum, right???? I hardly ever go there, I don't seem to get much out of it.