Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chewing Gum during Liquid Diet?

I've noticed with a lof of the post-op VSGs that went through the pre-op liquid diet prior to their surgery too the post-op two week liquid diet, there were some that struggle during this period with hunger.

Wonder if chewing gum is permitted during this period?

When I watched what I ate last year and lost 30 pounds sometimes when I got hungry I would chew gum to give me that feeling of chewing. Mentally it was a distraction for me to eat.

Would like to know if anyone tried chewing gum during their two week liquid diet and if it helped?

My surgeon wants you to give gum up for good. She said that if you sollow it there is a chance for it to get stuck.

I don't think it would hurt if it is sugar free gum, but I would probably give the NUT a call to ask... just to make sure. My NUT told me no gum after the surgery when I was thinking of the RNY because it can get stuck - but I guess that applies to the sleeve also. She said that most people don't swallow it, but if swallowed after surgery it can become a problem.

Im not sure if swallowing it would be a problem or not. I am 8 months out and chew gum occasionally. but im afraid of what might happen if i swallow it. I bet its no problem at all, but...anybody know for sure?

My NUT said to keep lemon juice on hand and if I feel that something feels stuck to drink the lemon juice. She also said not a bad idea to drink a couple of capfuls a week. I think it is a bigger problem with the RNY. I was just googling and found it isn't a good idea with the sleeve because of swallowing air...

Like some, I was told to never chew gum again because they were worried it would get "stuck." That being said, I cheated and chewed gum anyways, being SUPER careful not to swallow it. Now that I'm allowed to eat "real" food, it doesn't seem to bother me at all and I just don't chew gum.