Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When is a goal too excessive?

There is a method of determine whether you are big boned. Most drs measure using your fingers around your wrist. Here is a website that actually gives you the inches http://www.nlm.nih.g...pages/17182.htm

Personally, I'm actually am big boned, its not just a fat excuse. When I was skinny, at 5'8.5, I was at the top of my healthy weight range (165-170), wearing a size 6/8, and looking very healthy. Because of my hips/bone structure, I don't think it would be healthy for me to be much less then that. Everyone is different!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Oh thank you! this tells me I am big-boned. yay!!

My BMI is 22.6 - that is at 5'7" and 144' date=' I do go up and down a pound a pound or two, but 144 - 144.5 is about normal for me. I've been 11 pounds lighter and it was waaaay too low, although I didn't see it at the time. Everybody else around me was freaking out. I look at pictures now and know why, I looked gaunt. If you go strictly by the 'healthy BMI' range, I could have gone done to 118 pounds, but I'd have been a walking stick. I'd have looked like a cancer victim. I purposely gained back up to 145 and I stay within 143 - 146.5, it is an easy range to maintain for me and I look and feel healthy!!! I think we use the chart and then use common sense!![/quote']

How is the maintenance game??

There is a method of determine whether you are big boned. Most drs measure using your fingers around your wrist. Here is a website that actually gives you the inches http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/17182.htm

Personally' date=' I'm actually am big boned, its not just a fat excuse. When I was skinny, at 5'8.5, I was at the top of my healthy weight range (165-170), wearing a size 6/8, and looking very healthy. Because of my hips/bone structure, I don't think it would be healthy for me to be much less then that. Everyone is different!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST[/quote']

Well I was right.. My wrist is 6.75 inches around and I'm 5'7" with no fat on my wrists... Lol it's got to be part of my heritage!

I do have questions about the goal weight too. I randomly picked something. But the BMI range for me is 115-165' date=' since I'm 5'6.

I've been 115--but I was 20 years old then! I didn't look too skinny, I looked just fine. I just can't imagine me, at 47, being able to get back to what I weighed before kids and just general living, to my weight when I was 20! Is that even reasonable or achievable?

Do people achieve that?[/quote']

Omg I just said the same thing before reading this. It would be great to look like I did before kids but don't see that happening. Waiting to get started is killing me!!

I agree. However, I think a lot of heavier people think they are big boned when they aren't. For my $0.02 I suggest you pick a number in the middle and see how you like it once you get there.

Personally, I have hit a thin weight a number of times in the past (I'm a yo-yo). I found that I look OK at 140, even better at 135, and terrific at 125-130. That's when I discovered that I'm not big boned :lol:

You're probably right. One of my best girlfriends has always said she is big boned - she's not.

I am small framed and always looked better at the lower end of the healthy weight range for my height. My goal is in the middle because I don't know how realistic it will be for me to get to the low end. I'll be very happy getting back to a healthy weight in general.

I agree. However' date=' I think a lot of heavier people think they are big boned when they aren't. For my 0.02 I suggest you pick a number in the middle and see how you like it once you get there.

Personally, I have hit a thin weight a number of times in the past (I'm a yo-yo). I found that I look OK at 140, even better at 135, and terrific at 125-130. That's when I discovered that I'm not big boned :lol:[/quote']

Lol at the big boned thing. I think it's something fat people (myself) say to make ourselves feel less fat.

I'm 5' 6¾" & I set a goal for myself of 155 only because that would give me a "normal" BMI at my doctor's office when I account for about 3 pounds more than my morning naked "dry" weight at home. That 155 would be after I've stabilized & had a panniculectomy. About age 23, I did the Atkin's diet & went from 201 to 163 & actually stayed there for a couple of years. I still remember people telling me I needed to lose more weight so that has a big influence on me. I haven't asked my surgeon yet what he thinks my goal should be. My nutritionist suggested 150 but did agree that my goal of 155 was good.

Lol at the big boned thing. I think it's something fat people (myself) say to make ourselves feel less fat.

Actually, it's something that's true, which it why people say it. I know that I'm fat, but I also know that at my lowest (and unhealthy) weight at about a size 8, my calves are still so big that I can't wear tall boots, even the ones for "larger calves."

So it's not just something "fat people say to make themselves feel less fat."

Everyone is so different, from bone structure to lean body mass etc... I have seen some posts/pictures where they started size 24/26 and now they are quite small 4/6 and the first thing they say is "I never thought I would be this size" that has always been my thought. Even at my lowest in high school I was still a 10 maybe 12 so I have never thought I could get below 150-160. I have a friend who is 5'4" and her goal weight is 117, I have always thought she was crazy but after this forum I told her the other day that I won't doubt her, that if she wants to make her way to that goal I will support her, granted I have always known her heavy, she has an Asian ancestory and her grandmother is quite tiny, who am I to say or think that because she seems like 117 would be way too small that she couldn't do it?

Actually' date=' it's something that's true, which it why people say it. I know that I'm fat, but I also know that at my lowest (and unhealthy) weight at about a size 8, my calves are still so big that I can't wear tall boots, even the ones for "larger calves."

So it's not just something "fat people say to make themselves feel less fat."[/quote']

I didn't say all fat people, notice the (myself) in there. And btw, I just measured using the link that's posted and it turns out I'm in the big boned category. Who knew!

Dang it...I looked at the chart and I'm small boned! ;-)

I've been discussing this same thing with my trainer. I'm very numbers driven (which has been great for my weight loss journey) but he doesn't believe in the whole BMI chart fixation. He's a body builder and according to the BMI chart he's overweight...maybe even obese...but the man is like 10% body fat. SO...while I would love to hit that number on the scales to be a "normal" weight, (I'm only 10 pounds away) I'm actually more focused on my body fat percentage now. When you're building muscle you need to factor that in to your goal. I also think you need to be comfortable and feel good about where you're at and not focus so much on the actual number on a chart.

Everyone is so different' date=' from bone structure to lean body mass etc... I have seen some posts/pictures where they started size 24/26 and now they are quite small 4/6 and the first thing they say is "I never thought I would be this size" that has always been my thought. Even at my lowest in high school I was still a 10 maybe 12 so I have never thought I could get below 150-160. I have a friend who is 5'4" and her goal weight is 117, I have always thought she was crazy but after this forum I told her the other day that I won't doubt her, that if she wants to make her way to that goal I will support her, granted I have always known her heavy, she has an Asian ancestory and her grandmother is quite tiny, who am I to say or think that because she seems like 117 would be way too small that she couldn't do it?[/quote']

As long as she is healthy, that's great. I could make my goal 135, but honestly I don't think it will be a realistic goal for me. But who knows, if I do everything right I may end up there. However, I don't want to be disappointed if I lose 115 pounds ( which outs me in healthy range) and not 150 to put me at the lowest end.

I've been discussing this same thing with my trainer. I'm very numbers driven (which has been great for my weight loss journey) but he doesn't believe in the whole BMI chart fixation. He's a body builder and according to the BMI chart he's overweight...maybe even obese...but the man is like 10% body fat. SO...while I would love to hit that number on the scales to be a "normal" weight' date=' (I'm only 10 pounds away) I'm actually more focused on my body fat percentage now. When you're building muscle you need to factor that in to your goal. I also think you need to be comfortable and feel good about where you're at and not focus so much on the actual number on a chart.[/quote']

That's a great way to look at it. I assume that is something you look at when you are close to your goal! Good luck.

I've been discussing this same thing with my trainer. I'm very numbers driven (which has been great for my weight loss journey) but he doesn't believe in the whole BMI chart fixation. He's a body builder and according to the BMI chart he's overweight...maybe even obese...but the man is like 10% body fat. SO...while I would love to hit that number on the scales to be a "normal" weight, (I'm only 10 pounds away) I'm actually more focused on my body fat percentage now. When you're building muscle you need to factor that in to your goal. I also think you need to be comfortable and feel good about where you're at and not focus so much on the actual number on a chart.

I agree with him. I've had 25% body fat and weighed 185 lbs which is overweight for a 5'6 person but I would kill to have 25% body fat again!