Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help, I took asprin!

Today I had a very bad headache that I couldn't get rid of and had trouble functioning with. Now, I don't normally take drugs, however, I asked someone who works with me for some Tylenol. I took them with lots of Water and my headache did dissipate somewhat. Then, about 2 hours later I got the worst pain in my stomach that went right through to my back. I mentioned this to my coworker who said "Whoops, that was probably aspirin I gave you." I spent the rest of the day drinking Protein Drinks to try to soothe my stomach and as soon as I left work I bought some pepto bismol or something like that, it was pink. The advertising says it's supposed to coat your stomach, which is, I think, a crock but I took it anyway. Now that I'm home, I'm drinking aloe vera juice and the pain is reduced quite a bit.

Does anyone know if I have done serious harm to myself? This has been pretty alarming.

Aspirin are one of the medications on most no-no lists. Some medications, including aspirin, can cause ulcerations in the pouch. The restriction causes the medication to "sit there" and - well - long story short, it's erosive to the skin. Now - I'm not saying that's what happened, not at all. But I would definitely suggest you call your surgeon.

While you have him on the phone, suggest that he create a list of medications that should be avoided due to their erosive abilities. They should have given you that information before your surgery. :cry

Just found this on a surgeon's post-op care site. Thought I'd share because it mentions some things that I don't think a lot of people (not exclusing myelf from that!0 would even think about:

Post-Op Medications If you develop diarrhea (more likely if your gallbladder was just removed) for more than 24 hours, call the office for a prescription and take 3 tablets of 10meq Potassium per day until the diarrhea is gone or for three days.

On your tenth day after surgery, begin taking children's chewable Multivitamins with Iron - 1 in the morning, 1 in the evening, chewed thoroughly with food. That is 2 per day. Take these until the sixth week. At that point, begin taking 1 adult Multivitamin a day unless otherwise instructed.

Do not ever take aspirin or aspirin-containing medicines such as Alka-Seltzer®, BC Powder®, Stan back Powder®, or Goody's Powder®. AND Avoid any and all anti-inflammatory medications – over-the-counter or prescription -- such as Ibuprofen (Motrin IB®, Advil®, Nuprin®), Naprosyn®, Anaprox®, Aleve®, Voltaren®, Feldene®, Orudis®, Daypro®, Lodine® etc.) unless you notify the office in advance. These products can easily cause ulcerations in your pouch. You should use Tylenol® instead of these products.

Use your liquid or ground pain medicine as needed.

Use over-the-counter chewable Dramamine® for mild nausea. Call for severe nausea or vomiting and a prescription for suppositories will be called in for you.

For gas pains try Gas-X®, Di-Gel®, Mylanta® (liquid or chewable form).

For diarrhea try Imodium AD® or Pepto-Bismol®.

For Constipation try Benefiber, Citrucel® powder, Phillip's Milk of Magnesia®, Dulcolax® suppository, any chewable laxative, or Fleets® Oil Enema.

I keep a list at my desk. I have to, because there are some things that contain "no-nos" that I would never think of. You're most welcome, glad it could help. :D

You took tylenol- It may have been the size. It is one of the allowed drugs for bandsters per my surgeon. Aspirin and Tylenol are not the same.

Glad your feeling better.

Good catch, gonnabethin. I missed the "Tylenol" in the first line, in lieu of "Help, I took asprin!" in the title. Devana, which did you take?

I was told it was tylenol, however when I had the pain she said it was probably aspirin (Whoops) Whoops??

I do know that aspirin is on the not allowed list and I would never take it anyway and have only taken tylenol once before (with my C-section).

What I'm wondering is, will this one time cause serious problems, do you think?

None of us are really qualified to answer that. It's really a uqestion to pose to your surgeon. I know that according to information my surgeon gave me, and what was told to me in my education session, a single aspirin can cause noteworthy damage. So the best I can say is that according to the information my surgeon provided, and what the coordinator told me, yes - taking aspirin even just once can cause problems.

* edited to remove "serious" because that's really neither here nor there, and I'm certainly not qualified to say "this is a serious problem, but that is not". It varies way too much.

Its weird because I was never ever told not to take anything in particular - even NSAID's. I'd still exercise caution though and probably wouldnt take aspirin when there's other alternatives. And if I need an anti inflammatory, I try to use a gel rather than swallow a pill.

Hope you feel OK now, if there's no ongoing pain there's probably no cause to worry. It might even have just been a bit of heartburn.

Wow, thanks Wheetsin. Now I'm wondering if the problems I've had since the accident have more to do with overusage of Ibuprofen/pain meds/muscle relaxers more than anything else. I'll find out on Friday when I see the surgeon.

Jachut, what alternatives are there here in Australia, I've been thinking about taking soluble panadol as a mild pain killer (waiting until the fizz settles). Or is that just like aspirin?

I have been taking baby chewable aspirin (81mg) daily for as long as I have been banded with the blessings of Don Mills (Inamed) and my band surgeon as required by my interventional cardiologist. As long as I chew it and wash it down with Water it cannot do any harm to my band or "pouch". It is very important for my health as a post menapausal woman.

Always check with your physician and with Don if you have a question that isn't answered in a way that makes sense.

I personally have always been my own advocate and not one to listen to non professionals on the internet giving advice. It 's interesting to learn how different Lap band surgeons have such a variance in "rules" for banded patients.

My surgeon is himself banded and a very famous Australian surgeon who had banded thousands of patients. He is very unique and I am very fortunate to have him as my doctor.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I'm about to go to bed and I feel a lot better now, no more pain. I realise that I became frightened and got myself into a right snit about this as the day progressed and the pain got worse. Worrying about it won't change a thing so I'm going to sleep well tonight, call the surgeon tomorrow, drink aloe vera juice for a week and just KNOW that everything is ok.