Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New and Nervous!

I have finally gotten insurance approval for my surgery after fighting for it for more than three years. I've read up on the procedure, as well as what I can expect physically after surgery, but maybe I'll feel better about it after hearing stories from those who have "gone through it."

The people who give testimonials at the doctor's seminars are all very nice, but I want to be prepared for reality, rather than be told only success stories.

Welcome to LBT mysrok and congrats on your insurance approval! Everyone is a little different after surgery. I had my surgery on a Thursday morning and struggled with pain and nausea for 3 days after. I definitely used the pain meds the doc sent me home with. After those first 3 days I started to feel a little better every day. I felt a lot better after a week, but still had low energy for a few more weeks. I took just over a week off from work and I'm glad I did. I have a desk job and it was painful for me to sit up straight for long periods of time for the first week.

Good luck with your surgery and keep us posted on your progress!

Hi Mysrock, I was banded Monday morning, Jan 15th and it was actually a pretty neat experience. Of course I have a nursing background so I like being around hospitals but I was impressed with the whole experience. I stayed overnight and actually the whole next day because the surgeon didn't get in to release me until 6PM. I took pain medication in the recovery room and the evening of surgery but after that switched to Tylenol with Codeine which I had about 4 doses of on Tues and Weds. Now since Wednesday afternoon I'm on plain Tylenol. I was nauseated only once after the post-op Upper GI test to check for band placement.

I walked alot in the hospital and just got off the treadmill and am feeling really good - just a little pulling on the incisions when I get out of a chair or something. The gas pains weren't bad either but I didn't have anything much in my stomach and gave myself a Fleets enema the night before just to be sure. I see the big challenge for me will be staying on clear and full liquids for two weeks - I'm sure that's going to get old fast esp. after being mainly on liquids pre-op. But all in all - it was much better than I expected and I would encourage you to continue the process. It took me nine months to go thru all the testing and medically supervised diet for insurance purposes. I work two jobs and getting everything done was kinda difficult but just like giving birth - the end result will be well worth the wait. I salute you for your persistence. Good luck and blessings.

Smilliegal:)

had surgery on a Wednesday. After 20ish minutes in recovery I was asking to go home. Was released a little over 3 hours after my surgery began. Got home, sore - but only when getting up, sitting down, coughing, sneezing -- anything that pulled on my port incision. When rested I felt no pain at all, but took my pain meds anyway... figured it's better to have them and not need them, than need them and have to wait for them to kick in. Slept in a recliner that night and the next, and made it slowly into my own bed Friday morning. Felt restless and "cooped up" so I went to the store and walked around Friday. Was a passenger on a road trip to visit my parents Saturday, rsted Sunday, back to work (worked from home) Monday. All very easy. I had no gas pains at all, no complications... basically, none of what I expected to go through.

For me, life with the band ids kind of like, "So when does this get hard?" And yeah, it gets hard when I plateau, and when something gets stuck, but it's nothing like what I thought it would be like. I love my band, and even when I'm at my worst, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

It's hard to know what to share on a general basis, but please feel free to ask specifics arouns anything.

Here is my reality: The surgery itself was a breeze for me. I felt a little nausea but took medicine for it. My port side was the most painful. I had to sleep on my other side. I think it took me a few weeks to feel less pain to sleep on my left side. I had no restriction initially but I also didn't feel any hunger. I've had 5 fills to date. My fills are out of pocket at $200 each. Finally I'm at my sweet spot. The sweet spot is when you are losing at a good pace, don't feel hungry and aren't PB'ing regularly. If I overeat I do PB. That is a given. I especially can eat Mexican food the best. I love it. Chili rellenos go down perfectly. I think it is because they are mushy. Anyway, I am considered a slow loser at 1 lb a week. I have just hit the 41 lb mark which is 1/2 way to goal. My goal was 82 lbs post op. I also lost 40 lbs in 2 years before banding. I love my band. I wouldn't take it out for anything. I hope your journey is successful and you enjoy your band as much. Good luck.