Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I need to thin out the fruits and veggies?

Hey all,

Okay so here is my question. I've been monitoring all my food consumption for the last 2 weeks because I haven't lost any weight and for someone with a loooong ways to go it seems odd considering that I'm averaging about 1000 calories a day with 70ish or so grams of Protein. However I believe that maybe my issue is the carbs. Today I am at 1001 calories, 71 g Protein, but 55 g of carbs. When I look at my meal plan though it just doesn't seem that bad to me.

cottage cheese with del monte fruit cup

1 serving of turkey pepperoni

Small taco salad(home made) extra lean and rinsed ground beef, light ranch and salsa

1 piece of licorice and 15 small crisper crackers.

I know that the crackers added a nice 24 carbs and the licorice gave me 8 carbs but I'm wondering about the fruit salad. At 23 grams of carbs per tin...is that horrific? Do I need to give up the fruit with my cottage cheese? I have a hard time with a lot of fresh fruit and this seemed like a great alternative but now I'm not so sure.

Any suggestions? Keeping in mind that the crackers are not an every day thing but the fruit definitely is as well as veggies and dip most days too. Here I thought I was eating so healthy but it don't seem to me working and I'm just wondering if those little cans of fruit are just too much. Thanks all

The advice from successful losers (and it's working for me) regarding carbs is this - eliminate all white carbs; they are the starchy ones (potatoes, rice, Pasta, white flour products -bread/crackers/crust/etc, corn). Carbs from veggies/fruits are acceptable but need to be limited to less than 50/day unless you are a very active athletic person. Besides helping with the weight loss, eliminating those 'evil' carbs will also curb your cravings for more carbs and make staying on the food plan much easier.

You've got a good start on your weight loss....keep up the good work!!

Thanks Gayle....if I can do 50g of fruit and veg carbs a day that should work for me.

Aside from a few crackers there really isn't any white carbs that work for me so it's really just the fruits and veggies that I love having.

Thanks a ton for the info.

Thanks Gayle....if I can do 50g of fruit and veg carbs a day that should work for me.

Aside from a few crackers there really isn't any white carbs that work for me so it's really just the fruits and veggies that I love having.

Thanks a ton for the info.

Time2live,

Your post and many others on this site having me questioning this procedure for myself. It seems like a lot of people are struggling to diet and are not losing weight. I would think that your extremely low calorie consumption would cause the pounds to fall off quickly.

Good luck with your weight loss.

I reckon to that you need to ADD a nice big healthy serve of something like some steamed veges - broccoli and carrots or something. There's just not enough fresh food in that menu - I'd just add it to the crackers, but then I am pretty active. If you must swap then cut the crackers and eat more veges.

In denial: I may have given the impression that I'm struggling with the limited quantities....that is not my struggle at all...I have to pay attention to what I'm eating so that I cam make sure and get enough Protein in. Alot of us on here are trying to find creative ways to cover all the food groups because you really can't eat that much at one time. Most of the time I don't feel like I'm dieting even though I'm eating healthy food...I'm just trying to get the best nutrional value I can for each meal...I'm rarely hungry and so I, like many others have to try to make the best choices we can when we are hungry.

Jachut: I eat TONS of veggies....steamed and raw...I guess maybe it's possible to over do it on the good carbs. That menu was for today and doesn't reflect what I eat every day. I have steamed veggies with almost every dinner...but I do think that somewhere along the way I'm going to have to cut back on carbs....I always seem to do best on a higher protein/low carb kind of plan...I guess I just wasn't taking into a count all the carbs(even though they are good carbs) that are in fruits and vegetables.

Plateaus are all part of it, dont go cutting things out on the basis of not having lost for 2 weeks. YOu'd be better to up your exercise or just wait it out, 2 weeks isnt a long time not to lose. You've lost 58lb!! Your body just needs a breather sometimes. Its not worth compromising your nutrition when really, your plateau will probably last as long as it lasts. At 1000 calories you dont have the room to cut out anymore without compromising the quality of your diet and 70 grams of Protein is more than enough.

Did you know they dont recommend Protein first here in Australia at all and people still lose weight and they dont all lose their hair. You're doing fine, the process is just a frustrating one when the weight loss stalls for a while.