Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

crushed

my husband applied for financing so i could get the lap band. we got approved and i was over the moon with excitement.

then, the loan people said that because i was the one getting the procedure, I had to apply, not him. but my credit sucks (due to defaulted student loans - that i have been paying off for 3 years on time EVERY MONTH - but they simply refuse to remove from my credit.) so i can't get approved on my own. even with him as a co-signer (and he has almost perfect credit) i can't get approved an interest rate under 24%.

so. i was so close. and now... :think :think :think

back to feeling hopeless.

I'm so sorry sweetie! Is there another bank you can try? Can your hubby take out a credit card with enough credit available to charge a portion of the surgery? Can you sell your car and get a cheaper one?

Just thinking out loud. I wish I had some better ideas! Good luck!

I *think* it's seven years before any credit marks are removed from your records, regardless of how you've paid since the mark was made. Hmm... was it a medical loan? Or was it a general loan?

Here's an idea.......if you can get a loan at the high interest rate on your own, do that and pay for the surgery. Then get a new card (joint with your hubby) and transfer the balance of the high interest one to the new one.....does that make sense?

Many times CC companies will even have a lower interest rate for balance transfers and you could come out with an even lower interest rate than you thought you were going to initially.

Don't give up, I know you must just be crushed right now, but I am sure there is a way for you to make this happen.

hubby is trying to get a home equity line of credit, but our realtor said that since we've only been in our house 10 months we most likely won't get approved (even though we have the equity already built up). hubby is super into making sure none of our cards get past the 30% mark so even though we have the available credit, he won't charge it. but maybe i can try to get a loan and take the high interest rate and then spread it out onto our cards evenly. ARGH. so close. thanks for that idea! i'll talk to him.

i want this SO BADLY! (and i WISH i could sell my car. LOL. i still owe $9k on it. stupid car!)

*sighs* :cry

I am so sorry you ran into such an crushing snag with the financing. I am trying to get financed too right now with my mom as a co-signer, who is retired and her income is only SS and pension from my stepdad. My credit is obscenely bad. But I have a good job that I have been at for over ten years.

May I ask who you were trying to get financed through? I am trying to get banded in Mexico with Dr. Ortiz, and one of his coordinators, Lori told me to call Geramin at Citerra Financial to get financed. I was told she was great and so now I am hoping and praying I get financed. I don't care about the high interest b/c it will be sooo worth it down the road.

Take care,

Judy

Home equity line of credit is a great idea. If you can't get approved with the person who is helping you now, check with a mortgage broker. A second opinion never hurts.

We were only in our house 6 months when we took out a line of equity. Maybe it is different from state to state, I don't know.

But if you can do it with a home equity atleast the interest is deductible.

I am lucky that we have a CC that sends us these checks every couple of months that we can use however we want and they have 3.9% interest for the life of the balance. I think it is Chase Credit Card that we have. That is what we are going to use.

I was reluctant to spend all this money on myself, but my husband said that having me around longer and healthier and feeling better about myself is worth it. It took me a year convincing him this was the way to go, and it was safe......then he was on board and I wasn't sure, I guess like I was feeling selfish but he encouraged me to invest this in myself.

Plus I think we will save money on me not trying every diet that comes around, I just spend $500 about 6 months ago on Jenny Craig, plus we spend alot eating out and now we can just split meals.....

We also got the checks from Chase. We could either have 0% for 6 months or 3.99% for the life of the loan. Since we are self paying for both me and my husband, this seems like the most affordable way to go. My doctor also said something about CareCredit as a financing option.