Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anti-Semitism In France!

Hurtful, hateful behavior is rarely enjoyable for me. As a non-participant, it was really vicious. I have a frown on my face as I'm typing this, because it really was hurtful all around.
But you seem to be scolding only us, and not Ron. This would come across as true if you had ever said a word against him. Every single time that I have seen you jump into this thread, you've scolded us for attacking Ron, but you've never scolded Ron for attacking us.

Some of the bible is not meant to be taken literally.......Song of Solomon and the parables of Jesus for example.

(Sorry guys, I just had to jump in....I am sitting in a call center waiting for calls and this thread is surely helping the time fly) I love you all!

I have a frown on my face as I'm typing this, because it really was hurtful all around.
I see how being called pathetic, disgusting, vile, bitter, having your alleged behaviors being attributed as "from the bowels of hell", being told you hate christians (which would include your parents) - even though that was later retracted, and a host of other names could be hurtful, but honestly I wasn't hurt at all. Even though it came from someone twice (at least) my age. Some people resort to name calling, and some do not. When it happens, you just have to realize - that's how they're able to handle the situation.

And I'm fairly sure you weren't really referring to all the names I was called, but you have to understand it's a two way street. Actually no, it's not, because I didn't call anyone names (to the best of my memory anyway - granted it's fading fast). It may have happened, but I don't think it did. Yet I took it. Perhaps I shouldn't have, but by and large it's just not significant to me.

And I don't think the people or person who called me these names should be ashamed. Again, it's how they're able to handle the situation.

furthermore gadgetlady, if what I was asking is an attack, you've been throwing a lot of that around and I suggest you get off the subject of how awful the rest of us are.

No it is not. I will go one step further! If the Bible cannot be taken literally in theological matters and issues, and it's contents believed, then we have no foundation for Christianity. The whole of Christianity rests on the unerring truth of the Bible as it's is stated, and understood correctly.

When I say "understood correctly", I am talking about, and I know this is getting old, taking everything literally unless it is crystal cleay but it's context that it has another meaning, such as speaking figureatively, for instance.

Serious question here. Emphasis mine.

When I read that, every time it is stated, it sounds like - "The bible MUST be literal and true in all areas because if it is not, then the basis of my faith is on shaky grounds and I would lose one of the things I hold most dear... so I'm going to close my eyes to any other possibility because if I open them, I might see some scary things out there."

Is that how it is meant?

Those are perfect example of using context to determine if an alternate meaning is called for. In fact the whole putpose of the parables was so No One would understand, which is why Jesus alway explained their meaning to Hisdiciples.

Some of the bible is not meant to be taken literally.......Song of Solomon and the parables of Jesus for example.

(Sorry guys, I just had to jump in....I am sitting in a call center waiting for calls and this thread is surely helping the time fly) I love you all!

So now gadgetlady jumps off.
To accuse us of having a "salad bar" faith is really uncalled for and judgmental. And closed minded. And self-serving.
And like Ron says a lot, Where do you get this stuff?

This is what I am saying is uncalled for. I don't "jump off", I'm not judgmental, closed minded, or self-serving.

And I'm done. I'm not getting dragged into another bar-room brawl. I'll be back when everyone can simmer down a bit and the attacks stop.

But you seem to be scolding only us, and not Ron. This would come across as true if you had ever said a word against him. Every single time that I have seen you jump into this thread, you've scolded us for attacking Ron, but you've never scolded Ron for attacking us.

Sorry you misunderstood. From what I saw, everyone participating was in the wrong. I believe I did say that, even though I didn't mention anyone's name personally.

So now gadgetlady jumps off.
I thought it was pretty obvious that "jumps off" was in reference to leaving the discussion. Where's the attack in that?

From what I saw, everyone participating was in the wrong. I believe I did say that, even though I didn't mention anyone's name personally.
You did a few minutes ago, but not in the rest of the posts you've made in this thread. You've accused us several times of attacking the conservative Christian, yet you never mentioned the attacks the conservative Christians made against us.

God did write it through the Holy Spirit! The Bible says that ALL SCRIPTURE was given by inspirition of God to men of God, undercontrol of the Holy Spirit, who wrote it down. Men are not perfect, but God is. And if God, through the Holy Spirit caused men to write down the Word of God, I have no problem believeing that it is just as perfect as our God.

Jesus said to "search the scriptures" to find out who He was. Paul told us that All scripture is to be good for doctrine and reproof. Do you think Jesus and Paul would tell us to use the scriptures as the foundation of our faith if we couldn't believe what they contained? Jesus quoted the Old Testament constantly and gave it validation. How could I not believe the scriptures are perfect and unerring?

Ron, will you agree that our perfect, all wonderful, all knowing God did not physically write the Bible? Will you agree that God spoke to MAN or MEN and that those MEN wrote down what God said to them? And would you agree that MEN are not perfect, like Jesus?

If all of the above are true, then why can't you understand that the Bible wasn't written by God, it was written by men and was inspired by God. I don't care what the Old Testament says, men wrote that too. Get it????

Why can't you understand that people who love and respect the teachings of the Bible do not have to have the Bible be perfect, like Jesus, because nothing, nothing, nothing is?

God did write it through the Holy Spirit! The Bible says that ALL SCRIPTURE was given by inspirition of God to men of God, undercontrol of the Holy Spirit, who wrote it down. Men are not perfect, but God is. And if God, through the Holy Spirit caused men to write down the Word of God, I have no problem believeing that it is just as perfect as our God.

So why was there that bit about Jesus's body?

When my kids were very young I would at times answer some of there more complicated questions with less than complicated answers because I new that their young minds could not comprehend the real answer. Parents often do this so as not to confuse their children. Is it not possble that God in an attempt to answer very complicated questions created simple answers for a simple audience. So 6000 years ago when asked about how the world was created he told a story about how in 7 days he created days and everyone said okay, makes sense to me.

Then maybe he thought, I know it's silly but someday they'll figure it out and that's why he gave us brains.

gadgetlady: I was not insulting you in any way. I was trying to make my point. By saying jumping off, I meant that you left, you jumped off the thread.

After everything you've said since you jumped on today, I cannot believe that you are pointing fingers and taking offense to what everyone else is saying. You used to be much more level headed in these discussions. Well I guess I used to be more level headed before I joined this thread too.

My question was a very serious one. I noted that Ron has sort of taken over the job of answering it. If you agree with everything he's posted about it, then don't bother answering me. But don't accuse me of attacking you. I was not attacking you. You don't attack me either, please.

Still waiting for an answer on this one. Emphasis mine.

Why would me being a "mod" cause you to get defensive and offensive?