Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anti-Semitism In France!

I know there are always some that fall between the cracks, but I think 50% is a little over stated. I have never heard of anything like that, and I am sure it would have been on every front page. I couldn't even comprehend how it could be proven that 50% of those on death row were innocent. Whereever you got that information, it sound very, very exagerated.

The fact that occasionally an innocent person is convicted sucks, and our judicial system is not perfect. Few things are. But it is the best that we have right now, and there are crimes that, according to our laws, are worthy of the death penelty. I am sure there are innocent people in jsil for many other crimes as well. Should we not put people in jail then, because it is possible that someone who is innocent might suffer. Again, it sucks, but it is the best that be have to work with until someone comes up with a foolproof, perfect system of justice.

I was mistaken. It was Illinois where they recently put a moratorium on the death penalty because they had found a higher number of innocent people on death row than the number of people they had actually executed.

Illinois suspends death penalty

The actual percentage of innocent people that have been exonerated in Illinois was 6.2%. If you extrapolate that percentage to the population of the United States, that means it is comparable to someone going out and killing 18,600,000 people. I am pretty sure we would hear a lot of protests if that happened.

That percentage was per the Center on Wrongful Convictions at Northwestern University. http://www.law.northwestern.edu/depts/clinic/wrongful/deathpenalty.htm

The comparison of the number exonorated vs the number of actual executions is irrelative. What is relative is the number of people exonorated vs the number convicted which is 6.2% Agreed it is way too high, but not high enough, in my estimation, to do away with the death penelty. What these numbers do not take into consideration is the number of people giulty of death penelty crimes that do not get convicted because of the safeguards in the law. Everyone agrees the system is not perfect, but it's the best we have so far.

Why would you extrapolate that percentage to the population of the United States, when the whole population has not been convicted of death penelty crimes! Why is that relative?? It would only make sense if you were talking about convicted criminals that received the death penelty, and the number is still 6.2% if, and this is a big if, this is the case in every state. Do you have any information that it is?? You can't just guess or assume something like that. You need facts!

I was mistaken. It was Illinois where they recently put a moratorium on the death penalty because they had found a higher number of innocent people on death row than the number of people they had actually executed.

Illinois suspends death penalty

The actual percentage of innocent people that have been exonerated in Illinois was 6.2%. If you extrapolate that percentage to the population of the United States, that means it is comparable to someone going out and killing 18,600,000 people. I am pretty sure we would hear a lot of protests if that happened.

That percentage was per the Center on Wrongful Convictions at Northwestern University. http://www.law.northwestern.edu/depts/clinic/wrongful/deathpenalty.htm

Hey folks. I have no way of proving this, but I can tell you for certain that there are sermons and homilies, from pulpits of churches all over the country that very defnitely directly relate to politics. If you have not been witness to it, I am not only surprised I am not sure I believe you.

There is a chance that because you agreed with the sermon, and the directive from the pulpit, you did not recognize it as being politically driven.

My father attended a First Christian Church in Florida that told people exactly how to vote. He invited me to come and listen because I thought he was exaggerating. I did and he wasn't. He finally started going to another church that wasn't as close to his home. The Methodist Church he transferred to was much less direct in politics. They were more concerned with the interpersonal relationships and problems their congregation faced every day in society.

I attended Catholic Church for many years in several different states. The priests always told parishoners how the Church viewed certain political issues. And they all told parishoners that they would be violating the Pope's wishes if they did not vote or believe what the letter from the Bishop said.

Pat Robertson mean anything to you? Jerry Falwell? They are both two of the most political animals on the planet. They have millions of followers who hang on their every word.

Billy Graham was very political. He was not as political in his sermons, for sure, but he sat at the right hand of many presidents.

I personally did not hear George W. say it, but I have read that he said that he believes that he was directed by God Himself to become president and to do what he has done and is doing in the White House.

It has been written in hundreds of books by many, many impressive authors that capital punishment is not a deterrent to crime. People still argue it, in spite of the fact that more murders happen every year than the year before.

The only justifications that I can see for capital punishment are:

1) An eye for an eye.

2) Less expensive than housing a convicted murderer for the remainder of his life.

3) No chance of escape if they're dead.

Anybody got anything else to add? Anybody witnessed an execution of a convicted murderer?

Anyone who is all for capital punishment should get to witness one.

I know there are always some that fall between the cracks, but I think 50% is a little over stated. I have never heard of anything like that, and I am sure it would have been on every front page. I couldn't even comprehend how it could be proven that 50% of those on death row were innocent. Whereever you got that information, it sound very, very exagerated.
Illinois Gov. George Ryan on Monday imposed a moratorium on the state's death penalty. All lethal injections will be postponed indefinitely pending an investigation into why more executions have been overturned than carried out since 1977, when Illinois reinstated capital punishment. "We have now freed more people than we have put to death under our system -- 13 people have been exonerated and 12 have been put to death," Ryan told CNN. "There is a flaw in the system, without question, and it needs to be studied."

There is a big difference between just laws and laws that are unjust and repressive. Comparing Hitler and Caesar to the President of the United States is really out there!
Matthew 22:21 Jesus said “Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s".

Jesus said to follow the laws of Caesar, so why should I not compare BuSh to Caesar? And why not Hitler to Caesar.

Caesar had more people killed per capita than Hitler.

letheag: Are there any reasons why you think capital punishment is wrong? Do you never worry about innocent people being executed? Do you believe in forgiveness? If you do, do you believe that someone can be "born again", repent of their sins and live their remaining life as a good Christian afterwards? Since we know that capital punishment is not a deterrent to crime, do you think that the Christian beliefs that we hold dear could be compromised by taking a person's life, no matter who they are? (Putting aside the eye for an eye argument, of course.)

Frankly, I have heard George W. speak and I have seen him make various decisions, and I in no way think that his comments were stetched or taken out of context.

letheaG: I do think that because you have a good heart and you relate to his comments from that perspective, it is understandable that you feel that the media has gone too far with it.

For those who do not look at it from your perspective, his comments are absolutely frightening and that's why such a big deal has been made of it.

LOL. Why did I know this was coming? However, the poor woman isn't here to defend herself, so I'm unsure it's appropriate to slam her. Just an observation. And no, she's not a friend. I just don't think it's fair to bring someone into any of this if they're not here to defend themselves.

Look at the third(?) post in this thread...she's been here; she'll be here again.