Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anti-Semitism In France!

I've been gone for a while and I'm still hearing crickets. Alexandra and laurend, I think you'd be surprised with how many people equate fanaticism and fundamentalism.

5 results for: fanaticism

View results from: Dictionary | Thesaurus | Encyclopedia | All Reference | the Web

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source fa·nat·i·cism premium.gifthinsp.pngspeaker.gif /fəˈnætthinsp.pngəˌsaɪzthinsp.pngəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[fuh-nat-uh-sahyz-uhthinsp.pngm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun fanatical character, spirit, or conduct.

[Origin: 1705–15; fanatic + -ismthinsp.png]

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)

Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006. American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source fa·nat·i·cism (fə-nāt'ĭ-sĭz'əm) Pronunciation Key speaker.gif premium.gif

n. Excessive, irrational zeal.

(Download Now or Buy the Book) The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved. WordNet - Cite This Source fanaticism

nounexcessive intolerance of opposing views

WordNet® 2.1, © 2005 Princeton University Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary - Cite This Source Main Entry: fa·nat·i·cism

Pronunciation: f&-'nat-&-"siz-&m

Function: noun

: fanatic outlook or behavior especially as exhibited by excessive enthusiasm, unreasoning zeal, or wild and extravagant notions on some subject

Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, © 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc. Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary (Beta Version) - Cite This Source

faˈnaticism [-sizəm] noun

(too) great enthusiasm, especially about religion

Example: Fanaticism is the cause of most religious hatred.

4 results for: fundamentalism

View results from: Dictionary | Thesaurus | Encyclopedia | All Reference | the Web

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source fun·da·men·tal·ism premium.gifthinsp.pngspeaker.gif /ˌfʌnthinsp.pngdəˈmɛnthinsp.pngtlˌɪzthinsp.pngəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[fuhn-duh-men-tl-iz-uhthinsp.pngm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun 1.(sometimes initial capital letterthinsp.png) a movement in American Protestantism that arose in the early part of the 20th century in reaction to modernism and that stresses the infallibility of the Bible not only in matters of faith and morals but also as a literal historical record, holding as essential to Christian faith belief in such doctrines as the creation of the world, the virgin birth, physical resurrection, atonement by the sacrificial death of Christ, and the Second Coming. 2.the beliefs held by those in this movement. 3.strict adherence to any set of basic ideas or principles: the fundamentalism of the extreme conservatives.

[Origin: 1920–25, Americanism; fundamental + -ismthinsp.png]

—Related formsfun·da·men·tal·ist, noun, adjective

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)

Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006. American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source fun·da·men·tal·ism (fŭn'də-měn'tl-ĭz'əm) Pronunciation Key speaker.gif premium.gif

n.

1. A usually religious movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views and opposition to secularism.

1. often Fundamentalism An organized, militant Evangelical movement originating in the United States in the late 19th and early 20th century in opposition to Protestant Liberalism and secularism, insisting on the inerrancy of Scripture.
    2. Adherence to the theology of this movement.

fun'da·men'tal·ist adj. & n., fun'da·men'tal·ist'ic adj.

(Download Now or Buy the Book) The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved. WordNet - Cite This Source fundamentalism

nounthe interpretation of every word in the sacred texts as literal truth

WordNet® 2.1, © 2005 Princeton University American Heritage New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition - Cite This Source

fundamentalism

A conservative movement in theology among nineteenth- and twentieth-century Christians. Fundamentalists believe that the statements in the Bible are literally true.

Note
: Fundamentalists often argue against the theory of
. (
See
.)

That's a bit tough to read through, but is your conclusion is that fanaticism and fundamentalism are the same?
A fundamentalist is a fanatic about religion.

So fundamentalism is the religious segment of fanaticism.

Another way to look at it is you can be a fanatic about anything, but a fundamentalist is a fanatic about religion.

Which is why some of us who do not believe in the Bible as a literal record of God's words, and do not believe that the Bible PROVES that the Bible is written by God, are so uncomfortable with the views of someone who insists that his belief of those things is the only TRUTH and that those who do not share his beliefs are going to hell - 100% of them.

Which is why some of us who do not believe in the Bible as a literal record of God's words, and do not believe that the Bible PROVES that the Bible is written by God, are so uncomfortable with the views of someone who insists that his belief of those things is the only TRUTH and that those who do not share his beliefs are going to hell - 100% of them.

Don't you believe your beliefs are true?

Why are you uncomfortable with it if you disagree with it? I'm not uncomfortable with athiests who say when they die all they do is rot -- and that I will, too. I just don't agree with them.

A fundamentalist is a fanatic about religion.

So fundamentalism is the religious segment of fanaticism.

Another way to look at it is you can be a fanatic about anything, but a fundamentalist is a fanatic about religion.

Which is precisely what I was saying to Alexandra and laurend. I am a fundamentalist Christian. And you put me on par with a fanatical Muslim, who we also know most would equate with terrorists. And you wonder why I don't much care for the box you put me in?

My beliefs are my BELIEFS. Of course I believe them. I'm not uncomfortable with my beliefs or anyone else's. I'm uncomfortable with someone who says that their beliefs are the only truth in the entire world and that everyone in the entire world who does not believe in their "truth" is going to hell and is a (insert his insulting words here.) I understand why he believes as he does. I am uncomfortable with his demeanor and his insistence on his hell and damnation of others. How many ways to I have to explain it? Why don't you understand what I'm really saying, not what you decide that I mean?

I haven't heard one person here, who has said that they are an atheist, say that they believe that you specifically are going to rot when you die because you are not an atheist. I have read that they believe that there is no heaven. I have read that they believe that they are going to just die, period. They didn't drag you into to it. They have their atheist beliefs, they don't expect you to. Or even care that you believe as you do.

Fundamentalist Christians have been referred to as fanatics by people throughout my entire life. That is not something new. No one here made it up for the sake of argument. You've been pushing the point, and someone decided to let you know how the dictonery defines those words.

A fanatic Christian is one thing. A fanatic Muslim is another. I would be very careful about saying that they are the same. A fanatic is a fanatic, but a Christian is not a Muslim, or vice versa.

I also doubt they'll speak up.
Real life called and I had to leave the keyboard.

IMO religious fundamentalists and religious fantics are not the same thing. I'm not saying "they're not the same". But I hold a distinction between the two. And I think that what I see as "fanaticism" the fanatic probably sees as fundamentalism. I think the media coverage of 9/11 caused a lot of confusion. It was one of the first times these terms were used in an everyday kind of way, and "religious fundamentalists" was used to describe the terrorists, rather than "religious fanatics". And let's face it - most of what most people know about anything "middle east" has come from the media since 9/11. I mean - when a grown and professional man says to me, "I don't know why everyone is so worried about Islam, you can't even find it on the map so it can't be THAT big..." - and it's not the first time I've heard something like that, it's not hard to put together. But that's specific to 9/11, and I should have kept things more broad... I just think that 9/11 and the events since have formed too many people's "understanding" of what these terms mean... and people have not really thought about it themselves.

As for not calling out another atheist on their tone - outside of what I do as a moderator, I'm very "to each their own". It would take a lot for me to step in as a user. I can only remember stepping in as a user once, and actually - come to think of it - it was stepping in response to something an atheist posted, but not on the topic of religion. Atheism had nothing to do with it. It was all about a comment made by someone who happened to be an atheist, pure coincidence.

And as for the silence speaking for itself, I was shopping, about an hour and a half away from my keyboard. So let my silence say "I really needed some new shoes!" (And got some really cute ones!)

Which is precisely what I was saying to Alexandra and laurend. I am a fundamentalist Christian. And you put me on par with a fanatical Muslim, who we also know most would equate with terrorists. And you wonder why I don't much care for the box you put me in?
I can understand you concern. Though I have debated issues with you in this thread and others, I believe we have kept to the topic rather than personalities.

Maybe the dictionary definitions do not take into account the connotative definitions. Maybe they miss the falsehoods of some of the leaders of the fundamentalists groups.

Let me try to explain.

Both Christian fundamentalists and Muslim fundamentalists believe their holy book is the only holy book.

Both Christian fundamentalists and Muslim fundamentalists believe their holy book should be the basis for the laws of their land.

Both Christian fundamentalists and Muslim fundamentalists believe their holy book should govern dress and morals.

What separates the Christian fundamentalists and Muslim fundamentalists from Christian terrorists and Muslim terrorists is the part that needs the explanation.

Muslim terrorists are easy to explain when the person doing the explaining is a Christian and the person listening in a Christian. Muslim terrorists blow things up, cut off people's heads, shoot people and torture people, etc.

But Muslim terrorists commit suicide when they do many of those things. Either they blow themselves up or they fight against a military so superior to them, that they are killed in a ration of 20 to one (which is not that much different than suicide).

Now what is a Christian terrorist? Christian terrorists are not easy to explain when the person doing the explaining is a Christian and the person listening in a Christian. But, when that superior military is superior because of the weaponry to such a point that the leader of the Christian nation doesn't even try to negotiate, but backs the Muslim into a corner, many see that as Christian terrorism.

China does terrible things to its people. I do not hear George BuSh threatening China. China has WMD. I do not hear George BuSh threatening China.

Was "Shock and Awe" a form of terrorism?

Were people decapitated during the bombing of Baghdad?

Did the citizens of Baghdad have any more ability to stop the actions of the administration in control of Iraq than the citizens of NY had to stop the administration in Washington DC from continuing its policies? No. They had even less.

Maybe not everyone of our military personal is a Christian, but they are seen as coming from a Christian country. Heck, we keep saying we are. But when we support the killing of people on "the other side" then we are being fanatics about war. When we don't look past what our leaders, who have a vested interest in war say, we are part of the problem.

When religious leaders like Jerry Falwell use the power of the pulpit to promote the most diabolical killing machine of all time (Ronald Reagan's MX missile system), that is being a Christian Fundamentalist terrorist. (It was not like the USA could not already destroy the world 100 times over before they built the MX missile.)

Many of us do it without being aware of what we are doing, because people who we trust, our ministers and elected officials, tell us that it is right. Some of then even find quotes to use from the Bible, just like Hitler, Jefferson Davis and many other scary characters have done.

No, gadgetlady, I do not think you are a bad person. I just think that it is too easy to be swayed by the people who we are supposed to look up to, but are actually evil at heart.

I don't think you are a Christian Fundamentalist terrorist, even if you take their side quite often.

Actually, Wheetsin, I wouldn't have thought you equated fundamentalist and fanatic. So your silence wasn't even noticed by me :-)

Why don't you understand what I'm really saying, not what you decide that I mean?

I do understand what you're saying. What I was asking about was your reasoning.

I haven't heard one person here, who has said that they are an atheist, say that they believe that you specifically are going to rot when you die because you are not an atheist.

LOL! That's really funny, when you think about it. They just believe I'm going to rot when I die.