Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A psychological blow

Hi. I was scheduled for my surgery. The day before, I received a message on my machine that my surgery was being cancelled. The Surgeon was ill. I was completely freaked out by this. My mind was so set and I was really upset. I was rescheduled for the following week and I am now 7 weeks out from the surgery. I have lost 20 lbs and dont even have a fill yet. I feel better already. good luck. Being scared is normal. It is an awesome decision but one that has changed my life for the better!

I wasn't scared till I was in the hospital ready for surgery then I started crying telling my husband I wanted to go home, I am not afraid of surgery, I have had to have alot of them, I think I was scared to commit to the lap band , thank the Lord I didn't go home,lol!

I like you lost weight with the two weeks prior. I started thinking to myself. Hey, I can do this the rest of my life. Eating healthy. Losing weight. Then my mom suggested I go thru with it. She told me that she went most of her life yo-yo dieting. So I did. The first 3 days is painful. But then the first week went by then the second week. Remember there is no real food during this time.So, the third week came. And i was finally allowed to eat soft foods. I at this point don't understand but I should of been happy with that. Happy about eating real food. I was allowed to eat mashed potatoes. But instead my body had taken a tole. I developed anxiety. I was not even happy to had lost 25 lbs. I just wanted to feel good again. Like i had on my 2 week prior low fat diet. My point is if you have doubts, like I did go with what you want. Just be aware that you might have anxiety. Noboby told me that was a possibility. I even called the nurse where i had it done, and told her that i had one of the worst experince in my life. A full blown panic attack. And guess what she toldme. That it was common , and that I'm going through a "hump" and maybe i should get some medicine to help me cope through this time. I felt betrayed and I'm sure in the end I will feel better but if I can just let one person understand the road ahead of them then I will feel better. And if they choose to go threw with it the thats there decision and I wish them the best. But please sike yourself up for that 14 days of recovery. I admit I am feeling better emotionally. I just wish someone was honest enough to tell me about the "possibilities". Good luck with whatever you deceide.

I was anxious when I got to eat real food again, too. I was scared it was going to come back up because so many people here on this board have trouble eating certain foods. It turns out I can eat anything without problem, but in the beginning you never know.

Also, about 2-3 weeks after surgery, I fell into a pretty deep depression. I have often struggled with depression, but this was different because I had every reason to be happy but I wasn't. And I was crying at the drop of a hat. This only lasted maybe a week, but it was a pretty big deal. I didn't go to work for a couple of days even because I was really on the edge.

I could not even BEGIN to tell you how nervous I was. When the anesthesiologist put my "happy drugs" in my IV, I was just about to say "I've changed my mind". But thankfully the drugs kicked in and I calmed down. WAY down! LOL. I highly suggest you tell them how nervous you are so you get them early like I did. I am scared of surgery and I've had 6 prior. You never get over that, trust me. This was the first time I didn't FLIP OUT when they transferred me to the OR. I was pretty heavily medicated. I remember saying "It's friggin' cold in here" and then everyone laughed and then I woke up in the recovery room.

I will tell you this story though. I have pretty bad allergies and had some post nasal drip which I wasn't even aware of. Well for weeks after the surgery, I couldn't get anything down. It scared the hell out me. They thought it was swelling, but we finally discovered it was the post nasal drip. My surgeon said he had just read something on people with bad allergies and with head colds and that surgery should be postponed until that is under control. So now I'm on mega doses of Mucinex and all is well. Trust me, be thankful that you waited. It's for the best.

Don't look at this as a failure. This is a step to ensure your success in the long term. You'll be great. Keep us updated