Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New study shows that those who lose weight faster, actually lose MORE...

Ever since I was a kid I've always heard that the faster you lose weight, the unhealthier it is and the faster you'll gain it back, not to mention you will only lose so much weight. While in the car yesterday, I was listening to KLove radio (a Christian radio station) and they had some weightloss stats from Wake Forest University nutrition program:

1. The fallacy that the faster you lose weight the easier it is to gain it back is untrue. Actually, the faster you lose, the more % of your excess body fat you'll lose. And you will no more gain it back than if you lose it slower. So that debunks the prior school of thought.

2. Eating after 7 pm will slow down your metabolism. I knew this one was false and argued it on many occasion. How does your body know what time it is? Your body works on a 24 hr clock, not just waking hours.

3. And my favorite (can't believe people actually think this): That muscle will turn into fat. Muscle is muscle, fat is fat. It's like trying to turn a bear into a tiger. one has nothing to do with the other.

So us wls losers actually have a better chance of losing MORE weight in the long run than people who lose slower. Can we all know that the rate of loss has nothing to do with saggy skin. Thats 85% heredity and 15% luck (oh, and I think age plays a part too, the younger the better). It has nothing to do with exercising, expensive creams, or the rate of loss. While I'm losing pretty slowly (only 17 lbs in 7 weeks), I started at 174 (band to sleeve revision) so I knew it would come off a little slower.

So lose away and don't worry that you're losing too fast. Eventually your body will slow down the closer you come to goal anyway!

Thanks for this great info!

Eh, I'd like to see some research that supports this.

Statement 1. I agree. I believe the only issue with losing fast or slow is the problem most of us have- maintenance. Once we lose it, its hard to keep up the "diet" habits we all use to lose the weight to keep it off for the long haul.

Statement 2. I believe that the whole don't eat after a certain time thing has to do moreso with fact that most of us work during the day, eat, then go to sleep a short time after eating giving no opportunity to burn off what you eat. Some people I know who work night shift eat all night long and have no problem with their weight but they don't eat close to when it's time to go home and don't eat Breakfast when they get home, which would be our normal "dinner time."

Statement 3. Your'e right. If that were the case, we wouldn't be alive because over time our hearts and other organs with muscle fibers would eventually totally turn into fat :o Muscle loses tone, but doesn't change into something else transformers style.

Eh, I'd like to see some research that supports this.

I looked on KLoves wedsite to see if I could find the link (they always have a link for all of their news stories) to the Wake Forest Universities link where this info orgininated from. Alas, I can't find the story. It was just yesterday, but I can't find it.

I've seen this info many places (including peer reviewed studies). It's nothing new. If I find the exact info they gave out yesterday, I will send u the link.

I looked on KLoves wedsite to see if I could find the link (they always have a link for all of their news stories) to the Wake Forest Universities link where this info orgininated from. Alas, I can't find the story. It was just yesterday, but I can't find it.

I've seen this info many places (including peer reviewed studies). It's nothing new. If I find the exact info they gave out yesterday, I will send u the link.

Thanks! Hopefully the first stuff is answered. Thanks :)