Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. John Long in Houston?

I have Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield. My primary insurance FiServ does not pay for Bariatric treatment or complications of bariatric surgery so I have to depend on my secondary insurance for these treatments. I had a fight on my hands for the LapBand but eventually got it approved. The skin removal was not even a fight. Dr. Long's office sent in the general info and I was approved for the TT right a way. I think it is mostly because I have lost now what I weigh total. Literally 50% lighter than the day I had LapBand on October 12, 2005. I have gone from a 28 to an 8.

For those that went with Dr. Long, Did you pay in full or did they do a payment plan? How does this work exactly? I'm not sure if my insurance will cover a TT and BL. Right now at 230lbs. I still have a long ways to go til my goal weight and a ways to go til i get banded since i seem to be having complications with the doctors office losing my paperwork :) I just want to be prepared for what is to come.

Be prepared!Be very very prepared! I set out to meet my goal and did. It is shocking what I look like now. I weigh about 40 pounds less than I did when I got married so my husband doesn't even know the person I am now. My insurance company is paying for the TT but I am paying cash in full for the breast lift and arms. Right at 9,000 for my part. Ouch!!!!But so worth it!!!! I'll get back with you about the pain level and stuff like that after the 27th.

how is your insurance paying for your Tummy Tuck? DO u have rashes or irritation where the "apron" is?

I do have rashes from time to time, but my insurance just looked at the pics and the considered how much I have lost and basically said "Of course she has skin issues". I was approved!!! I know my ticker says I am still at 162 or something but I am actually down 149 pounds total. I only weigh 145, so they really considered the fact that I have lost more than my actual body weight to approve me. I do have really good insurance even though I fought for 10 months to get the approval for the LapBand. They have pd for all four fills and now reconstructive surgery. I am thankful!!!

Hey guys, I'm back. I had my EXTREME MAKEOVER on April 27th and have done way better than I expected. I had TT, Breat Lift and arm lift as out patient surgery and have done very well. The abs are very tight and seem to tighten as the day goes on so I am tired in the evening, but other than that...I am healing and getting ready to go back to work. I still have drains in my stomach, but the Fluid retention is slowing and hopefully they will come out tomorrow when I go back for my check up. I was a large C or small D in high school and I must say "They look just like they did in High School". Dr. Long did a fabulous job on all three areas and I can't wait to shop for a new clothes because I am now a size 8 instead of 10/12...and the swelling is still going down. I was off the pain medicine and on Tylenol by the third day and started driving again on the fifth day. I love Dr. Long and I love his medical skills. It's hard to know who to trust when you've never had plastic surgery, but I had a great connection from day one and could tell he was excited to help me finish this journey. I coundn't be more please with the outcome so far and I am not even completely healed. The results are shocking and my closest friend who saw everything before want a business card when I come back so they can go see about their own issues and flaws. Dr. Long does not currently have a website, but they are working on building one. They have asked me to be one of the first set of before and after shots on the site, so look for it in the future.

Candice, I'm so happy for your success. I bet you look great. Please post some photos some time soon. You had exactly the same 3 procedures that I want done! The arms bother me more than anything. I'm many months away from goal, so I'm planning for surgery next January. Glad to hear you're happy with your doctor. I'm anxious to see your before and after photos. Take care.

Hi Candice,

First of all: CONGRATULATIONS! My goodness, that is great news! Could you (or anyone else) share how your were able to get insurance to pay for the arms, TT, and breasts? I have heard about the "apron" being covered because of rashes. What is the best way to try to convince them about the other things?

Good luck with your surgeries. Your transformation will be complete. Won't that be great?

Colleen

banded 7/2005

Dr. Spivak (or Saint Dr. Spivak in my opinion!)

-78 lbs!