Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To sleeve or Not to sleeve. That is the question.

Today was the day that I have been looking forward to for about a month. I have been so diligent about my research and asking questions and seeking understanding to the meaning of things not understood.

My first appt with surgical team

I meet with the team and quite disappointed with the team. I was told that the sleeve was not my best option today. And that I should lose 5lbs and wait 3months for surgery.

They are really cheap and do not provide a pamphlet only a booklet with generic information that I have found on theses WLS boards and online journals. How sad. :(

The PA was okay she really didn't have any information for me that I didn't already know. But we

(I melted away)

She was trying to push the RNY on me but it is not the procedure I want. 'I don't want my guts touched' and rearranged, They want me lose 5lbs and 3mo of working on a stupid- as-hell plan. The Pych test done. Insurance is a go, I contacted them they sent me out a booklet. This is the one time that the insurance isn't the problem. Here are my goals: Courtesy of the NUT

1. Eat 3 meals a day every 4-5 hours

2. Focus on eating at the table ( don't study and eat at the same time)

3. Switch to a children multi-Vitamin ( use up current supply)

4. Increase Calcium and Vitamin D

?????? for 3months?????????? 5LBS???????

Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong. If I am someone please tell me so. My insurance donest require supervised counseling they leave it up to practitioner discretion. I asked the NUT about this and she said after three months and the goals are meet the surgeon will want to meet with me; then the pre authoriation will be sent and that can take up to 3-4 weeks at least. That will take me out to January but I have 1yr to get the surgery. WTF :angry: she talkn' bout. Aint NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT.

Minnesota winter's are brutal and unforgiving and the ground is hard as hell if you fall on your A$$. I will be out of school from December 18- January 13 this would be perfect for me and I could go on a leave of absent for a mont and get myself together for surgery. I am strongly considering finding another center. They gave my pamphlets of info that I pretty much have already.Nothing not a planner, notebook nothing to keep up with my stuff and to refer to later. I think they suck.

Done venting goodnight.

To sleeve or Not to sleeve that is the question. Please let me know what you think.

Where did u go?? Im also a minna-snow person :) i am currently going thru the process at the university w/ Dr Leslie....my ins is way diff tho I've got to go thru 6 months of nut meetings then im good...although my tentative surg date isn't til jan I've already got the phyc evaluation and sleep study done now its a waiting game and i need to lose 13 lbs not way easy hard but to keep it off for the next 4 1/2 months will be

I'm really not sure why they're asking for the 5lbs but honestly, if you're prepared to do this, you should be able to lose 5lbs and follow a plan for 3 months. I'm not saying you can't, but they may just be trying to screen you to see if you can. Their big fear is patients who think the surgery is a quick fix/do all. They want patients who will do their part of the work as well. So this may be some kind of screening process. I don't know, but if it is.....bite the bullet and do it. It will be easy and it will prepare you for life with the sleeve.

Minn 52....

Pass on 'em.......go to another Surgeon. If you're uncomfortable with the Surgeon & or the staff......and especially if they aren't on board with your choice to go with the sleeve. Even if you have to travel farther away, find someone else. When I had my knees replaced, I went to 5 Surgeons for consults before I felt satisfied. Was well worth it too.

Where did u go?? Im also a minna-snow person :) i am currently going thru the process at the university w/ Dr Leslie....my ins is way diff tho I've got to go thru 6 months of nut meetings then im good...although my tentative surg date isn't til jan I've already got the phyc evaluation and sleep study done now its a waiting game and i need to lose 13 lbs not way easy hard but to keep it off for the next 4 1/2 months will be

I am going to Fairview Southdale Hospital. I need to complete 3mo of visits. and lose 5lbs. Also there is another issue, I have a H.hernia and they said it is no big deal the surgeon can address this at a later appt.

The problem is it is a huge area. I have talked with a surgeon before and I shared this with the PA. I was told by then surgeon this was not an easy fix that I needed to lose 30lbs before they could do surgery. This is why I am confused, it is like they discarded what I said, my records are all in the system form the U of M . The PA said well if you want to speak to a surgeon you will need to contact one of them and make an appt. this will be outside of your care with the Bariatric center even though these are the surgeons that will perform the surgery.

I am wondering do they talk to each other or are they independent of each other. This visit may not be a covered benefit. I should call my insurance to make sure.

I would think something like this should require a surgeon attention and then we make plans as to which way to proceed. 5lbs vs 30lbs who is right? I don't want them decide while I'm on the table that I haven't lost enough weight. It sounds like I should look around.

I'm really not sure why they're asking for the 5lbs but honestly, if you're prepared to do this, you should be able to lose 5lbs and follow a plan for 3 months. I'm not saying you can't, but they may just be trying to screen you to see if you can. Their big fear is patients who think the surgery is a quick fix/do all. They want patients who will do their part of the work as well. So this may be some kind of screening process. I don't know, but if it is.....bite the bullet and do it. It will be easy and it will prepare you for life with the sleeve.

I agree with you Butterthebean, they want me eat at the table for 3months, is just plain silly-making. They probably did not have anything for me and they had to say something to justify the visits.

Minn 52....

Pass on 'em.......go to another Surgeon. If you're uncomfortable with the Surgeon & or the staff......and especially if they aren't on board with your choice to go with the sleeve. Even if you have to travel farther away, find someone else. When I had my knees replaced, I went to 5 Surgeons for consults before I felt satisfied. Was well worth it too.

This really sound like the thing to do. Thanks.