Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

warning:TMI - constipation

I'm 4 months out & having this issue TODAY! I'm stuck at work, meetings all day, and the worst stomach cramps EVER. I just can't seem to GO. I've been drinking tons of Water, but don't want to take anything (don't have anything with me anyway) but LAWD, I'm dying!!! I feel like I'm going to pass out from the pain. I can't wait to go home & be miserable in my own bathroom!!

Here's hoping I don't explode before then.

I can certainly start taking Probiotics & Fiber, etc., but how do I get relief TODAY?

I'm 4 months out & having this issue TODAY! I'm stuck at work' date=' meetings all day, and the worst stomach cramps EVER. I just can't seem to GO. I've been drinking tons of Water, but don't want to take anything (don't have anything with me anyway) but LAWD, I'm dying!!! I feel like I'm going to pass out from the pain. I can't wait to go home & be miserable in my own bathroom!!

Here's hoping I don't explode before then.

I can certainly start taking Probiotics & fiber, etc., but how do I get relief TODAY?[/quote']

Well, since I've shared too much already I will tell you that I tried everything. I tried to poop in a hot bath tub to soften it. In the end it was a q tip and some lube that ended up not killing me that day. A laxitive will push it out but in my case it was made of concrete so a stool softener would have been better. Now I'm taking aloelax nightly, eating one prune daily and soaking in Epsom salt everynight to sooth the pain. I do yoga poses nightly that help too. You could also drink Aloe Vera juice to lube your digestive system.

I was told by the surgeons nurse to take 2-4 tablespoons of milk of magnesia. I wish I hadn't taken the full 4 tbls yesterday. I was able to go, just Water from the medicine, but it was hours of getting up to go every ten minutes. and today i have had the worst cramps all day. If I ever get that backed up again, I'll take 2 Tablespoons. This has been really uncomfortable and worrying. Can't wait to just be sort of regular again.

Oh man.

OMG I'm sorry and glad u r ok.. On the other hand I haven't gone to the bathroom for two weeks and a half have tried Miralax and senna 1300 but nothing :/ I feel very uncomfortable.. Any suggestions??

I think Ely said that she was told that miralax is like drinking cement, or something to that effect. I completely agree. I took it everyday for a week and it made my issue worse. I would love to go in for a colonic right now. On the upside, I feel like I have a pumpkin stuck in my lower half, but I've still lost weight this week. Go me. :) the milk of magnesia will make you go, that is certain, but it's pretty intense stuff. I'm going to ask about taking psyllium fiber. I want roughage! A big bowl of broccoli with lemon and pepper on it sounds like the best meal ever to me right now.

ElyQuint-

I feel your pain! I gave birth to twins at 4 wks out...I will never forget that day!

Miralax & colace everyday and magnesium citrate occasionally ....I swear I will NEVER let that happen EVER AGAIN! I'm sweating & shaking just thinking about it! :o

Zenandnow, sit on the toilet, knees apart and lean forward as far as u can comfortably. Give it time but that is the best position to get movement going as it lines up ur internals to work to best advantage.

Alternatively, prop ur feet up on a box while still keep them flat, so that it brings ur knees up - creates same scenario.

Don't rush when sitting in either position, it will take ur body a few mins to recognise what's happening - but should help !

ElyQuint-

I feel your pain! I gave birth to twins at 4 wks out...I will never forget that day!

Miralax & colace everyday and magnesium citrate occasionally ....I swear I will NEVER let that happen EVER AGAIN! I'm sweating & shaking just thinking about it! :o

Truest story ever told.

Zenandnow' date=' sit on the toilet, knees apart and lean forward as far as u can comfortably. Give it time but that is the best position to get movement going as it lines up ur internals to work to best advantage.

Alternatively, prop ur feet up on a box while still keep them flat, so that it brings ur knees up - creates same scenario.

Don't rush when sitting in either position, it will take ur body a few mins to recognise what's happening - but should help ![/quote']

Thanks Indigo, I'll give it a try. No more cramps, but I STILL haven't gone!

I tried MoM, but it did. Nothing for me. I think I'm immune to it or something. It tastes horrible, which I would be willing to put up with if it worked! I'm jealous of the people who post that it works for them. I have some correctol from pre-surgery days, but I remember it being pretty harsh & am kinda scared to take it again.

Thanks Indigo' date=' I'll give it a try. No more cramps, but I STILL haven't gone!

I tried MoM, but it did. Nothing for me. I think I'm immune to it or something. It tastes horrible, which I would be willing to put up with if it worked! I'm jealous of the people who post that it works for them. I have some correctol from pre-surgery days, but I remember it being pretty harsh & am kinda scared to take it again.[/quote']

I tried MoM no results. Aloelax is the only thing I can recommend with confidence.

Wasn't able to find any AloeLax (may need to order it on the web), but did finally get relief tonight. (Your suggestion finally worked, Indigo) Incredibly painful, and NOT something I want to experience again!

I'm going to up my Fiber & start taking a daily 'helper'. Also going to keep that AloeLax on hand; although I feel much better after finally being able to go tonight, I don't think I'm 'empty' yet.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

This is such a good thread for me today, it is a week since my last BM. I have been taking pear juice with Benefibre to no avail. My MIL has terrible Constipation and she has been told to try hot tea with a thick slice of lemon, also kiwi fruit. I am taking my tea now and have a kiwi fruit for after dinner! I also tried prune juice today but it is very high in calories. Some of the things you are talking about I don't think we have in Australia. The nearest costco to me is 1000 km away in Sydney, which is about a 12 hour drive.

I hear ya, girl. Unfortunately you will probably find that Constipation is an ongoing issue but from here on out you will be able to deal with it before it gets so bad again. My recommendation: fiber supplement. Fiber supplement EVERY SINGLE DAMN DAY.

It's my only issue I suffer with 8ish months post op, it sounds like nothing to other people but not being able to go like you should is its only little slice of hell.

Fibre is great to stop Constipation but not to cure it once you have it. Stool softeners, enemas and laxatives if all else fails.. and of course Water, Water, water. Prunes and dried apricots are pretty good too - high in calories but if constipation is bad you'll be needing a good clear out to lose weight anyway.

I don't know all the products mentioned here but be aware that frequent use of laxatives WILL cause severe problems down the line. Senna is a laxative.

Try not to let constipation go on too long - as women (particularly post menopausal women) are v prone to developing rectocoeles (rectum bulging sideways into vagina and even up against bladder), and this is no end of trouble to address.