Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Melbourne Chat Thread!!!!

Here we go!!

As for what to take to hospital, take a nightie or some lose fitting PJ's your tummy wil be quite tender and bloated for a good week or so, so anything tight will be annoying. I went braless for a week after too when I could because one of my scars is right on my bra line, a crop top or sports bra might work better if you can't go with out. Take some books/mags to read - nothing too indepth, your attention span will be all spacey from the anethestic. You might feel like washing your hair (I didn't though, but I know my dad did when he came out of surgery!)so take normal toiletries, and don't forget your toothbrush and toothpaste. You might want to take your own pillow, and make sure the person who picks you up has a pillow for you to put over your tummy on the ride home. The bumps in the road are uncomfortable. Earplugs and an eyemask maybe if those sorts of things bother you. And any other meds you normally take. I think thats about it!

There is a great thread on this forum which lists stuff you might need in the days after surgery so you're not having to go get anything (or don't have to ask some one else to get it). My tip is get some benefiber and pear/prune juice for when you are on the liquid stage. You might get a bit backed up and trust me, its not fun. If you start with the benefiber and juice the day you get home from hospital you should be ok!

Geez this thread is active! Hard to keep up with everyone!

Bron - congratulations on your date!! That was quick work!

Hi dionnem - good luck for your surgery! My hot tip post op is to avoid sucking ice chips after the first day, and sip all day long on liquids. I was nauseous for about the first week or more post op due to dehydration - apparently sucking ice chips for the first few days only made the nausea and dehydration worse.

Once you are on full (thick) liquids, stir in a generous dollop of lite sour cream or natural yoghurt to Soups / smoothies for a Protein boost. It helps a bit to keep hunger pangs away, and was a lifesaver during my last week of liquids when I was starving.

My hospital (The Valley Private) makes its band patients wear TEDS (surgical stockings) during the day for 2 weeks post op, and also air-pump stockings while in bed in hosptial. The air stockings looked really stupid, and meant I couldn't get out of be without help, but they felt like a gentle lower leg massage. Very cool. I needed help with the TEDS for about a week. My mother in law came in the mornings to help get them on after my shower, then I was right for the day.

Also - I am up for a get together. I think I'm free that weekend in March at this stage.

susannah - you are doing great. My port was sore for a few weeks. I couldn't roll onto it for about 3 weeks, or sleep on my tummy for about a month. If the area is red or inflamed or weeping, obviously see the doc straight away, otherwise it sounds like normal post-op port pain, and will settle down in time for you.

Hi all

WOw u guys are keeping this thread busy..i just can't keep up lol

Susannah, how is your port insicion doing? hope its not giving you too much trouble:phanvan As for your pics.. u may not feel like posting yet but trust me i am sure within a few weeks u will be busting to post them and show us how well u r doing. :girl_hug: I think we all hate our before/present pics but hopefully that will soon change :clap2:

Bronnie, i can feel your excitement thru your posts :) so glad it is allcoming together quickly for you and good luck for your appointments 2 moro

Dionnem not long for you now either.. good luck!

Hi to everyone else and hope you have a great day

Sussanah it's hard for all of us to look at pics before because it's not how we felt on the inside (i never felt i looked how i really did - i always thought i was heaps thinner!!). I felt the same way about my befores; you know i've yet to see a banded person not blossom into an absolute beauty - no matter how you feel before hand..... you'll feel a million bucks at 80kg and even more stoaked at 75kg! (i felt a million bucks at 80kg and actually felt attractive for the first time).

Take loads of pics - that's what i did and it really helped me see the transformation when I couldn't see it in the mirror.

Hi, Thanks Cam and Loretta. I guess when you are overweight you have no self esteem. I am looking forward to losing the weight, but also to not hating myself. Loretta my port incision is giving me a bit of grief pain wise, but it should improve hopefully over the coming weeks.

Dionnem Monday is the day girl!:biggrin1: Excited for you.Just shoot off any questions you may have and we will be pleased to answer them.

Susannah

Susannah, the port pain WILL dissipate over the next week or so, it will get to the point where you hardly realise its there (it probably doesn't feel that way now though!).

Hi all...

saw Dieticain and that was straight forward.

Then went and saw Physician ( Dr Tran) and he is sending me for an ECG and respiratory function tests. All that will happen on the 28/2. If he finds something in the Respiratory test i may then need sleep studies............. ho hum!!! I hope they dont postpone my op....... Im really worried cause i am a past smoker and i know my lungs arnt good. I get short of breath easy.................:help:

Hi Bronnie, I would be surprised if you have to have a sleep study, or that it will therefore delay the op. I did my sleep study at The Austin hospital, and only after the respiratory physician requested it because after the breathing tests it showed I had weak lung muscles. I don't smoke but the doctor thought it may have something to do with having MS.

Did the doc say anything about the fact you have MS?

I am down another kilo!:biggrin1: That makes 3 kilos post op. Yay!

Susannah

Hey Crew, Did you all have a happy Valentines day? I didn't get anything, but there is always next year.:) My Valentines present to myself was getting banded. When the time is right mr wonderful will turn up. Susannah

He sure will turn up Susannah!! Happy Valentines day to you!

I'm just about to head out for dinner with my lovely beau. I got a wonderful gift and flowers. I was rather spoilt I think! (It made up for all those years I was alone and got nothing!).

Meredith, You deserve it girl! Enjoy yourself. Will be waiting for a full report of your night. Well not everything!:):D

Susannah

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all that info, I am going shopping tomorrow to get the things I need as I live approx 20mins away from a shop. Mum got here ok and the kids are over the moon, might even get a sleep in (wishful thinking). I can't believe its nearly time, feels like a lifetime of waiting has come to an end, for the first time in my life I feel positive about my final results!!! will hop on again soon all take care.

Bugger Valentine's day, its girls night tonight. I'm going out and leaving Doug at home with the kids. Sixteen years of marriage will do that to you, roflmao!

Its his fault. He's such an accountant - there's never a card or a pressie for anything because its a waste of money according to him, and so I called his bluff! He was quite put out lol, mainly because he knows he'll be asleep when I get home so I wont put out, tee hee.

Then again, maybe I ought to poke him and prod him and wake him up like he does to me!